Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7Sage Study Groups

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
edited May 2017 in Study Groups 27809 karma

Hello 7Sagers!

We are launching new study groups, and also making a few adjustments in order to make these an even better resource. With lots of new workshops happening, it seemed like study groups could be tweaked in order to provide a more distinct experience. So instead of open sessions—which really is not how study groups work at all—we will coordinate groups openly on the forums to allow groups to bring members in, and then close groups once a core membership has been established. We hope this promotes a larger number of groups which will be smaller, more intimate, and better able to develop unique dynamics and close working relationships. So keep an eye out for the new groups forming soon, and many more to come!

Comments

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

Keep my eyes on:)

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

this is awesome! June 2018 squad

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Ditto!!

• -ObbuddO--ObbuddO- Alum Member
    edited May 2017 236 karma

Sounds great, how should I sign up for this? I will sit for the Sept 2017 test, maybe even the Dec one.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Sounds like a really practical idea being that many of us are on different time lines. Good thinking!

• Kristen BKristen B Member
    388 karma

Sounds great!

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited May 2017 2301 karma

I think this is a great development. The open calls were great, but like @"Alex Divine" pointed out the times did not work for many people. I know there was always a struggle between accommodating West Coast vs. East Coast 7Sagers. Hopefully, this will allow everyone to find a group that they can regularly attend.

I also think small groups offer several advantages. First, they allow for greater accountability and commitment from its members. Second, I have seen that the closer friendships allow for more open communication. People are often afraid to challenge someone's mistaken assumptions or incorrect reasoning, which ends up hurting the person in question and all participants. The whole point of these calls is to sharpen our reasoning, learn from each other, and improve on the LSAT. The first step towards that is having polite, but open discourse. Third, these groups allow for easier time accommodations because there are fewer members to adjust for. There are many other advantages as well. I think this could be a really great thing for 7Sagers.

@"Cant Get Right" If it has not been developed already, I think it would a good idea to create a Best Practices for BR Calls guide. While we do not want to tell people what to do, some guidelines would be very helpful. I have noticed that new groups and new people to BR often struggle with getting started because the process can seem daunting. This guide would list different ways to BR (two pages at a time, priority questions, circled questions, etc.), general tips (do not read answers beforehand, never say what the answers are, etc.), strategies for stimulating discussion (tips for for asking probing questions, how to break down a question, etc.), and other advice from BR call leaders and long-time participants. While I am no expert, I have attended dozens of calls over many months and have even lead a few calls. I would be happy to develop this guide with you, Josh. We should also ask @DumbHollywoodActor, @"nessa.k13.0", and other BR call leaders if they would like to contribute. It could be a really valuable resource. It would also help with this exciting transition.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited May 2017 27809 karma

So to address a few questions I've had:

How do I join a study group?

The groups will form on the forums, so keep an eye out for those and express your interest in those threads.

Who are "Study Group Leaders?"

7Sage Study Group Leaders are organizers and moderators. They determine the schedule, coordinate the calendar, and keep the group on task. Some are members recruited by 7Sage staff, some are members who have come to us expressing interest in starting a study group, many have emerged naturally as discussions of study groups have started. What 7Sage Study Group Leaders are not are 7Sage endorsed instructors. While we've been fortunate to have many bright and talented LSAT students in the position, LSAT mastery is not a prerequisite or guarantee. These groups are not classes. They are simply groups of students--all still learning the test--who meet to study (and often commiserate, lol) together. 7Sage encourages and offers a certain level of logistical support for this, and the Study Group Leaders are our liaisons.

What about people who can't commit to attending weekly, or who aren't quite ready for a study group?

No need to fear. We've been working hard to think creatively and develop new open session meetings available for you! Check out my Monday night Oldies but Goodies class. It's a weekly Sage led resource for students at all levels of prep. We will be expanding that soon, so keep an eye out for more to come! We also frequently have other webinars and workshops open to all, so watch the forums for webinars and workshops. @Sami 's free tutoring sessions are another way we're working to offer increasingly more resources, and she has done a phenomenal job, so don't miss those!

Thanks for the great feedback and questions guys! Glad you guys like the changes! And @"Daniel.Sieradzki" , that's a great idea. I will be in touch in order to start developing that!

• LsatChicLsatChic Member
    191 karma

Great

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Thanks so much for organizing this @"Cant Get Right" !

• allanisraelallanisrael Alum Member
    98 karma

This is so so cool..Dec LSAT it is and am going to ace it!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" Thanks for the suggestions! I'm incorporating specific guidelines for the next study group I lead (which will start after the June test) and I'll post those guidelines. I've done BR how-to sessions but they were ill attended. Another thing I've noticed is that people skim the information posted about how to participate. I think this new change with closed study groups will help provide focus and clarity as 7Sagers will have to commit to being in a study group and because each group will be more specifically defined.

• Kraig KmiotekKraig Kmiotek Member
    10 karma

I would love to join a study group! I will be keeping my eyes open :)

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2017 7468 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" I've been off in 0L Prep-land and doing a ton of SAT/ACT/LSAT tutoring for their respective June 3/10/12 tests, so I've been a little MIA. After a vacation to CT in June 12-23, I plan to get more involved with 7sage again.

I LOVE the idea of specifically defined study groups. I know at the end of my term running my particular study group, I tended to focus on the grammar difficulties and cookie cutter argument forms that the LSAT presented. After the June test, I'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring to lead a group focusing on this grammatical aspect.

• Matthew-1Matthew-1 Core Member
    edited May 2017 37 karma

Just enrolled in Ultimate+ and couldn't be more excited. June 2018 here I come! Also a study group would be welcomed.

• iamarialchengiamarialcheng Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Awesome, is there any study group in Beijing?

27809 karma

All of these meet online, so if you want to wake up a little early, you are welcome to join @iamarialcheng . I believe there's one coming up on Tuesday, so check out that thread to see what you need to do.

• airborne1airborne1 Member
    25 karma

Hi! Do we have to be enrolled in a 7sage course in order to join a study group?

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Is there a June 2018 study group in the works?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

Great question -- If so, I may be getting in on it! #June2018 squad!
    If not, we may have to start one!

27809 karma

@airborne1 said:
    Hi! Do we have to be enrolled in a 7sage course in order to join a study group?

Nope! Just watch for the announcements and all are free to join. 7Sage TOS still apply to everyone, of course, but other than that there are no restrictions.

27809 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

Not yet! Probably not a bad time to start forming one though.

2983 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

We can definitely get a study group started once it gets closer to the date. We might be the only ones studying this far in advance :sweat_smile: SQUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Freddy_D said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

We can definitely get a study group started once it gets closer to the date. We might be the only ones studying this far in advance :sweat_smile: SQUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!

:) Looking forward to it! I love having so much time in advance to really make sure we are consistently scoring where we need to be. #SQUADDDDD!! ;)

2983 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Freddy_D said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

:) Looking forward to it! I love having so much time in advance to really make sure we are consistently scoring where we need to be. #SQUADDDDD!! ;)

I agree. I can't imagine trying to study for this thing in 3 months :astonished:

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Freddy_D said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

Just let me know when y'all are ready! Im in! #SQUADDDDD!!!!! Although after ya'll's advice to watch every single video I"m a little nervous I won't be ready by June!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Freddy_D said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

Just let me know when y'all are ready! Im in! #SQUADDDDD!!!!! Although after ya'll's advice to watch every single video I"m a little nervous I won't be ready by June!

I'm going to work on putting it together! So far we have us 3! :)

2983 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Freddy_D said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

@Freddy_D said:

I'm going to work on putting it together! So far we have us 3! :)

Let's get it! #prepandpray