Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying for long periods at a time

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
in General 3679 karma

I usually can only study a max of 2 hours at at time. Even then by 1.5 hours my brain is really burnt out and I have to push through the last half hour. I'd really like to see if I can start doing 4 hour sets but that seems unlikely. Even with my 2 hour sets, I still have to take a 2-3 minute break and declutter my brain every 30 minutes or so. Does anyone do really long sets straight through? If so, how do you do it without brain burnout?

Comments

• KillmongerKillmonger Alum Member
    332 karma

I promise if you exercise and workout and eat healthier foods you will absolutely be able to focus longer. Thats easily been the biggest difference maker for me in regards to focus and sustained energy.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Yeah, I've done like 5 or 6 hours straight through before. I wasn't able to when I first started, but since I've been with this test for 1.5 yrs, fatigue rarely sets in anymore. Typically if I do a 6 section PT I will feel burnt by mid 5th section maybe or beginning of the 6th.

what Marvin said is true, if you work out you for sure will have a more clear mind and will be able to focus better.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@tringo335 said:
    I usually can only study a max of 2 hours at at time. Even then by 1.5 hours my brain is really burnt out and I have to push through the last half hour. I'd really like to see if I can start doing 4 hour sets but that seems unlikely. Even with my 2 hour sets, I still have to take a 2-3 minute break and declutter my brain every 30 minutes or so. Does anyone do really long sets straight through? If so, how do you do it without brain burnout?

Yeah, I can sit and prep for several hours at a time, but I think that's because I'm so used to just sitting at work and working for hours. I just make sure to leave my phone and whatnot out of sight so texts/notifications don't bother me. I also study with noise cancelling headphones so the loud noises outside don't distract me.

That said, I find it is best to take a 10 minute break every hour or so. Taking breaks, getting up and stretching and giving your eyes and mind a break are important and will help you mentally be able to focus for longer periods of time. I think taking 5 minute breaks after each half hour is just fine if it's working for you. After all, it's basically just using the Pomodoro method which works for many people, myself included!

If you want to work your way up to longer sessions, I would recommend using a Pomodoro timer and incrementally working your way up to your desired session time.

• KillmongerKillmonger Alum Member
    332 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

Yeah, I can sit and prep for several hours at a time, but I think that's because I'm so used to just sitting at work and working for hours. I just make sure to leave my phone and whatnot out of sight so texts/notifications don't bother me. I also study with noise cancelling headphones so the loud noises outside don't distract me.

That said, I find it is best to take a 10 minute break every hour or so. Taking breaks, getting up and stretching and giving your eyes and mind a break are important and will help you mentally be able to focus for longer periods of time. I think taking 5 minute breaks after each half hour is just fine if it's working for you. After all, it's basically just using the Pomodoro method which works for many people, myself included!

If you want to work your way up to longer sessions, I would recommend using a Pomodoro timer and incrementally working your way up to your desired session time.

This too. Breaks are crucial. What i learned about the LSAT is that youre not studying for the typical test. You're not just memorizing material or a set of facts, youre developing a frame of mind and a way to analyze and think critically. This needs to marinate and sit so it can be second nature. So breaks are absolutely recommended. I probably take a 10 minute break every couple hours. This is especially true when doing the core curriculum because its all so new to you.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2017 13286 karma

I look at it like running. I am fat and out of shape, so when I started running again I could only go for a mile before I died. Slowly I was able to run further and further as I got more use to the demand on my body. The same is true for the LSAT. Gradually work yourself up to longer periods of studying time. It'll get easier the more you do it.

In my opinion your goal should be on a Saturday or Sunday to study for roughly 4 hours with one 15min break. That is the same as the actual 5 section test. You want your brain to be use to that level of concentration. You just have to build yourself up to it!

• I totally agree with what everyone is saying! At first just taking one section of the LSAT really burnt me out and by the end of a full practice test I was EXHAUSTED. By taking multiple practice tests I am able to see a huge improvement in my stamina.

By starting early in the morning I feel alert, sharp, and focused. Now I can study for multiple hours a day and not feel exhausted.

Just start small and work yourself up :).

YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Thanks guys! @"marvin.dike" and @TheMikey I workout 6 times a week and am mostly vegan so I don't think it's a diet and exercise problem. :(

I really love your advice @LSATcantwin and @LSAT warrior princess I didn't realize it was like a training for endurance. I think I will try pushing an extra 15 minutes at a time until I reach the 4 hour goal. :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 Another thing I've found that I forgot to mention is investing in a comfortable chair if you don't already use one. I know you won't have the luxury on test day, but when studying for hours at a time, I can't tell you the difference a comfortable chair as made, especially if your back tends to hurt after long sessions. I find that when I'm more comfortable and my posture is correct, I don't need to get up as much. :)

3679 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    @tringo335 Another thing I've found that I forgot to mention is investing in a comfortable chair if you don't already use one. I know you won't have the luxury on test day, but when studying for hours at a time, I can't tell you the difference a comfortable chair as made, especially if your back tends to hurt after long sessions. I find that when I'm more comfortable and my posture is correct, I don't need to get up as much. :)

Good advice my friend

• jadewzhengjadewzheng Member
    17 karma

Exercise and eating right does help you focus longer. Although I noticed that when I run in the morning, I get hungry so frequently that it is actually impossible to focus due to increased metabolism and depleted glucose (I also work out about 3 times a week in addition to running).

That being said, I don't think focusing for a super long period of time is necessarily a good thing, at least in my case. When I used to do it in the past, it put me into autopilot mode, which actually became harmful for making progress because I believe that successfully studying for the LSAT requires an acute awareness at all times about what you did on certain questions, why you did what you did and how you can prevent them next time. Without such awareness, I'd just repeat the mechanic process of doing questions and moving on, which is a waste of both time and energy and LSAT materials.

However, if one could focus for long periods of time without losing the ability to quickly review and reflect, then I don't see a huge downside. But no matter how long you study, I think it is important to keep your goal in mind, and keep the study period to serve that goal.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@tringo335 when I'm trying to go for long hours I usually break up my studies with LG. It's still LSAT related but LG is "fun" for me so it doesn't really seem like I'm still studying and I can allow my brain to get sort of a break before I jump back into RC or LR. Do you have a section that you like or that isn't really giving you an issue that you could jump to when you need to get a mental break?

• conrad.pconrad.p Member
    48 karma

Well, while people might suggest exercising in order to increase your brain's endurance, that is not alone enough. Your brain is its own muscle. Exercising is important for many things, but if you want to build your brain's endurance you have to focus on training it in ways that going on runs and lifting weights is not going to address. Diet is an important first step. You cannot your best after eating a ton of pizza and hot wings. You also need to learn how to let your brain rest when you are not studying so that it has stamina for while you are studying. Do not spend any time outside of studying the LSAT that drains your brain. Do not play chess, do not argue with friends, do not stay up all night, etc. Every moment that your brain is in peak shape, study for the LSAT. Outside of that, let it rest. You have to learn how to manage your brain's energy levels. It might take many months to develop a lifestyle around this.

3679 karma

@jadewzheng @tanes256 @"conrad.p" wow what great advice!

@jadewzheng you have a good point. When I was studying with the LSAT Trainer the author made it a point to say that you should not study for more 1.5 hours at a time. You have a really good point about burn out. Even if I am trying to go longer, it makes no sense to go longer on auto pilot only have to repeat what I 'learned' since I in fact learned nothing.

@tanes256 that's great advice. I've only done the starter part of LG with 7Sage and I found that I really really liked it. Once I get more into it, I could see that that might be a good 'fun' break study period (PS is the 256 in your name your area code? If so, I'm from Alabama too!)

@"conrad.p" great reminder to let my mind rest. I'm slowly slowly learning that.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

well someone needs some ritalin :wink: lol, I used to do 2 hour periods take a break and go again, but then i took the test with accommodation and realized its a 6 hour test so now i just man up and try to do 6 hours straight with a 15 min break because thast how thte test is really going to be. im going to ask for a nap during my break maybe they will accommodate :smiley:

2573 karma

@tringo335 yes ma'am. I'm from Huntsville! Home of The Space and Rocket Center! lol

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:
    well someone needs some ritalin :wink: lol, I used to do 2 hour periods take a break and go again, but then i took the test with accommodation and realized its a 6 hour test so now i just man up and try to do 6 hours straight with a 15 min break because thast how thte test is really going to be. im going to ask for a nap during my break maybe they will accommodate :smiley:

You're my hero, sir! LOL :sweat_smile:

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    edited August 2017 2983 karma

I usually study between 1.5-2 hrs./day 6 days a week. I'm not taking the test until June 2018 so that may have something to do with my "lax" study schedule. If I was taking it in Sept. or Dec., I would probably increase the time. I also schedule AM and PM sessions.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

I study about 5h a day. I take one break.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

@"Alex Divine" future lsats wil lbe take home tests lol that way you can take naps between sections.. shit why not, they have online law schools now.

3679 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:

yikes! I don't know if thats for me lol. For some reason when I take PT I am ok with the timing. It's definitely a brain buster but I think the adrenaline just keeps me running. But it does make sense to do those long stints to get used to it.

3679 karma

@tanes256 said:
    @tringo335 yes ma'am. I'm from Huntsville! Home of The Space and Rocket Center! lol

oh my gosh so exciting! Huntsville is my forever home I grew up there. Worked at the Space and Rocket Center growing up to lol.

• dfletch5dfletch5 Alum Member
    260 karma

@"conrad.p" said:
    Do not spend any time outside of studying the LSAT that drains your brain. Do not play chess, do not argue with friends, do not stay up all night, etc. Every moment that your brain is in peak shape, study for the LSAT. Outside of that, let it rest. You have to learn how to manage your brain's energy levels. It might take many months to develop a lifestyle around this.>

Wow! Conrad, thank you for sharing -:)

• 1025 karma

I found that studying for the LSAT is analogous to any sort of other types of physical training. Much like the muscles of the body, the brain needs time to slowly increase study time. I found that I can study up to 6.5 hours now before I am ready to throw in the towel. I would say studying is like someone tying to run a mile out of shape. They might not even finish the mile, but training and pushing a little bit further every day will enable them to reach their goal. Likewise, try increasing your study time by 10-15 minutes each day and you'll find yourself feeling ready for more studying when the 2 hour mark hits after just a week. An extra 10 minutes, each day, is just enough time to push through while simultaneously increasing the brain's endurance. YOU CAN DO IT!!

2573 karma

@tringo335 no freaking way!! I must PM you in the near future. We gotta chat!