Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Pencil Thread (7Sage style)

Comments

• J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    575 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Yea, I don't really like their erasers either. That's why I first though of "breaking them in". Then, I thought about the wearing them down to a point thing. I haven't tried it out during a real PT yet but I'll let you know!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"J. Tharp" said:
    Yea, I don't really like their erasers either. That's why I first though of "breaking them in". Then, I thought about the wearing them down to a point thing. I haven't tried it out during a real PT yet but I'll let you know!
    thank you! I'm really into all the fun pencil and eraser hacks we can think of!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Ticonderoga Beginners.
    I agree I think I posted this in here too but the "My First Ticonderoga" are a m a z i n g...

I think someone posted originally they liked them because they seemed to bubble faster because of the bigger lead point. I am not sure if that is true, but for someone who has grip issues they are amazing! I wouldn't have ever have found them without this thread AND they are on sale right now too, with a sharpener or you can buy a 12 pack and they are already pre sharpened. I had to opt for the 4 pack and sharpener recently as I had warn most of mine down as I couldn't find a big sharpener.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @stepharizona Yeah, I think @DumbHollywoodActor liked those, IIRC.

Anyways, check out Staedtler Wopex's if you like a bigger pencil. I love them and they have a smoother lead as compared to the Ticons.

edited November 2016 3197 karma
    @"Edward__" said:
    I used a child's pencil - MY FIRST TICONDEROGA, they are much fatter than normal pencils - which reduces stress on your hand and also gives you a larger eraser.
    I kept them in my front jacket pocket for easy grabbing.
    I didn't bring a sharpener - I had 5 sharpened pencils in my pockets, who needs to waste time sharpening?
    Oh found it, yeah I have been hooked on the My Firsts since @Edward__ posted. I saw that and I was like yup... that will solve all kinds of problems. Not sure if I'd switch since I've been using them since a week after his post, almost 10 months ago!

I looked up the Staedtler Wopex and I don't think they are as big. The my first are pretty smooth, maybe its because of the bigger lead? In his picture it's a pretty sharp point, but I have kept mine really round. They come pre-sharpened, but can be dulled to a rounded end pretty easily. The one on the left is fresh out of a pack, the other two I've been using since right after Edward made his post. So they last a really long time too, they are a bit longer than a standard pencil.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Yeah - that is bigger than a Wopex no doubt.
  • tams2018tams2018 Member
    edited November 2016 727 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Yep! take 6 pre sharpened pencils with you on test day, more if sharpness is an issue. The girl next to me in October, changed her pencil after each game. 6 might be a tad excessive, but if thats what you need its what you need!
    That is such a good idea! I love to write with a freshly sharped pencil.

What a comforting feeling to know that I am not the only fan of using pencils (even beyond exams)

My personal favorites are the Mirado black warriors and Universal standard #2
    I like pencils that have built in erasers that can erase cleanly.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @tams2018 said:
    My personal favorites are the Mirado black warriors
    Funny you say this. While they are certainly aesthetically pleasing, I can't get myself to love them because of how fast they dull out! I can attribute this to a heavy writing hand but it's a nuisance having to sharpen every 5 mins lol.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @tams2018 said:
    My personal favorites are the Mirado black warriors and Universal standard #2
    I like pencils that have built in erasers that can erase cleanly.
    I tried these a few months back and felt like I was writing with eye liner, lol. Just a tad bit too soft for my taste. But they do write nice!
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    felt like I was writing with eye liner, l
    LOL...they're universal..just not LSAT friendly.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    LOL...they're universal..just not LSAT friendly.
    Hahah! Exactly!
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    edited November 2016 645 karma
    I use Mirado Black Warrior. Lead tip is sometimes unreliable, but that's why I'll bring 4 or 5 sharpened ones with me to the test.

The most important thing is a decent eraser. A bad eraser could ruin the answer sheet.
    3197 karma
    @"Stevie C" said:
    The most important thing is a decent eraser. A bad eraser could ruin the answer sheet.
    Agreed... I use the White Pentels for the answer sheet.
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    I appreciate this thread - I'm a wooden pencil junkie now too--thanks LSAC.

Here's a thought: doesn't it all depend on the type of paper that the scantrons are printed on? (If somebody already mentioned this, sorry for missing it.)

For instance, I bought the triangular Ticonderoga black pencils for their shape from the excellent point made above that I had visions of sending my supplies flying when I'm frantically erasing in a panic because I've carelessly skipped a numbered bubble--who has time to pick up the scattered instruments, plus piss off my neighbors for good measure.

I've practiced with those black triangular pencils and hated them. :/ And it didn't matter what kind of paper I was using. The outer covering feels creepy. I used to love Paper Mate, but they have drastically changed. All of them suck, and I cannot find their Classics any more.

So I bought more neon Ticonderoga HB 2s. The colors make me happy (and helps me avoid distractions), but I also like the feel of the lead on any paper, and they are rather quick at filling in the bubble.

Then I realized what is the scantron paper that we'll use on test day be like?

Does anyone know? Can we rely on the same paper being used for the test day scantrons as the scantrons that are printed (and not a full 8.5" x 11") in the LSAC books of Prep Tests that we can buy?

P.S. For erasers: I highly recommend Pentel's white hi-polymer eraser blocks---they are SUPERB, no matter what type of paper my scantrons are on.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I'd never thought of the paper. I'm thinking back on my LSATs and actually having trouble remembering what it was like. That suggests to me that it was probably like standard weight printer paper which is what I printed my scantrons onto for PTs. If it were significantly different, I feel like I'd have made a mental note of that. I use Noricas though, so the softer lead would be more forgiving on lighter paper.
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    I haven't read the thread (there're only three weeks until Dec. 3!) but after trying a half dozen or so types I've settled on Mitsu-bishi 9850 HB. If you buy them through this link...

https://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-Pencil-pencil-hardness-K9850HB/dp/B001BKZVWU

...I get nothing.
    27822 karma
    Candy apple red and white, that's a good looking pencil @"steve-1" .
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    Thanks, Cant Get Right. Hopefully that means that the scantron will withstand my potentially frantic erasing (which of course I hope to avoid, thanks to JY's excellent explanations).
  • LnanncampbellLnanncampbell Alum Member
    104 karma
    Black wing long point pencil sharpener plus basically any pencil, even if it is super cheap, has been perfect for me. The long-point pencil sharpener made all of the difference. Takes no time at all to sharpen. Loved it so much I showed my grandpa on Skype and even he was impressed, which is saying something.
    27822 karma
    I love being back in ink, but at times I do still miss my Noricas.
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I love being back in ink, but at times I do still miss my Noricas.
    The question is what will we be writing with in law school?
    27822 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    The question is what will we be writing with in law school?
    Computers, lol.
    11542 karma
    27822 karma

Just came across my favorite thread of all time. I suppose that with LSAT going digital, this thread will soon begin the long sink. But not yet!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Just came across my favorite thread of all time. I suppose that with LSAT going digital, this thread will soon begin the long sink. But not yet!

:( I hope there is still a paper version. Do you think it's smart to start practicing solving logic games on blank paper to prepare, though, to mimic the digital test conditions?

27822 karma

I don't think they'll drop that on us without good notice. Until they say otherwise, I expect paper to continue to be an option.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Paper and pencil isn't going anywhere for a long time, if ever, imo.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I don't think they'll drop that on us without good notice. Until they say otherwise, I expect paper to continue to be an option.

Phew! I've invested a lot in my Noricas and Wopex pencils and would hate for them to go to waste, lol.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    Paper and pencil isn't going anywhere for a long time, if ever, imo.

Knowing the LSAC's record, yeah, expect paper tests up until 2025 at least, haha.

27822 karma

I dunno. The new leadership has moved shockingly fast to implement a lot of highly consequential changes. Going digital is a sensitive process that has to be approached carefully and over time. I think the steps taken so far are perfectly consistent with transitioning completely. It's important to remember that a digital test is cheaper to administer. Never underestimate the power of cheaper, lol.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I dunno. The new leadership has moved shockingly fast to implement a lot of highly consequential changes. Going digital is a sensitive process that has to be approached carefully and over time. I think the steps taken so far are perfectly consistent with transitioning completely. It's important to remember that a digital test is cheaper to administer. Never underestimate the power of cheaper, lol.

Ahhh, yes, cheaper is a great case for moving the test to a digital format. I'm just hoping they make the switch after my administration because I'm so used to the paper and pencil format of everything LSAT related. Even so, I don't think it would have that much of an effect on my score, but even a point or two could be devastating.

My guess is within the next 2ish years the test will be all digitalized. And they'll probably still offer a paper version for an additional fee perhaps.

• missionsmissions Alum Member
    24 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

:( I hope there is still a paper version. Do you think it's smart to start practicing solving logic games on blank paper to prepare, though, to mimic the digital test conditions?

Plot twist: we're not allowed to bring paper (duh) and have to pay a fee for each sheet of paper we want to use during test day.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Jesus H. Christmas! I only use vellum paper or papyrus if I'm in a jam. :relaxed:

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

I'm not familiar with the precedence for announcing/implementing changes, but I can't imagine that they would make the digital LSAT default/mandatory without at least a year or two of advanced notice, or simultaneous offering. Lots of people begin their preparation years prior to their exam date, so it's only fair that people are able to prepare knowing on what they'll be assessed.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Anthony_Mahmud said:
    I'm not familiar with the precedence for announcing/implementing changes, but I can't imagine that they would make the digital LSAT default/mandatory without at least a year or two of advanced notice, or simultaneous offering. Lots of people begin their preparation years prior to their exam date, so it's only fair that people are able to prepare knowing on what they'll be assessed.

Agreed! I would be surprised if they don't continue to have a paper version for the first few years the digital test is put into place. Either way, I don't care either way, so long as I have notice enough to practice doing games on blank paper and adjusting my methods.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

It just does kind of suck that they might not have digital tests online to practice on... That definitely could be quite a disadvantage. Although with the LSAC under new leadership that seems to be headed in a modern direction, I still think it is going to be a couple of years before the digital test is common place.

• SD_SaraESD_SaraE Member
    41 karma

It is amazing how quickly I have become obsessed with both my pencil choice and this thread. I have some LITE Tica's that are really putting a cramp in my style. Would one of you mind sending a link to these legendary Noricas? I am looking on Amazon so I know what to look for when I go back to Staples. Thanks!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@SD_SaraE said:
    It is amazing how quickly I have become obsessed with both my pencil choice and this thread. I have some LITE Tica's that are really putting a cramp in my style. Would one of you mind sending a link to these legendary Noricas? I am looking on Amazon so I know what to look for when I go back to Staples. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-Latex-Free-Graphite-Pencils-36-Count/dp/B00RS4DZAS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503004322&sr=8-1&keywords=noricas

Here ya go! :)

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

still yet to find the pencil that will get me a 170+

• apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma

@TheMikey said:

Necessary but not sufficient

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@apublicdisplay said:

@TheMikey said:

Necessary but not sufficient

or we're all crazy and a pencil does nothing for your score ?

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

or we're all crazy and a pencil does nothing for your score ?

I refuse to beleive it

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Use Staedtler Norica <-------------> Receive 170+ on LSAT

• ZaTablerZaTabler Alum Member
    edited August 2017 513 karma

you guys are weird lol

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Like it or not, our writing utensils are one of the only things regarding LSAT that we have complete control over. We tend to take comfort in such things. Hence, the obsession.

• FiestaNextDoorFiestaNextDoor Alum Member
    127 karma

Just purchased Black ticonderogas lol 180 here I come

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Is there a rule against carpenter pencils on the LSAT?

• ZaTablerZaTabler Alum Member
    513 karma

I'm going to bring a HUGE pencil...like 2 feet long so I can sabotage other test takers.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Like it or not, our writing utensils are one of the only things regarding LSAT that we have complete control over. We tend to take comfort in such things. Hence, the obsession.

This may explain a lot of it!