Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Experiencing a massive drop off in LG Scores in PTs 65-70!!

RichHomieRichHomie Free Trial Member
in General 6 karma

So I've been chugging along with my PTs and suddenly hit a wall in terms of LG in tests in the upper 60s. I've never been great at LG, but up until now I've gotten it down to -3/4 per section. In my last 3 PTs I've gotten -7 on 66, -8 on 67, -9 on 68, and -8 on 69. Kind of freaking out - I've worked so hard to improve the LG over the past 4 months and suddenly it seems with the newer tests I'm back to square one

I'm not sure if they're actually harder but it seems like they have many more "weird" unpredictable games that don't fit any convention. In the past there would usually be a standard sequencing game to start, and in/out game, and some grouping game. Now the recent games either have some twist or some thing that throws me off

Not trying to make any excuses! I know that if I really was proficient at LG I would be able to adapt to the weirdness of the rules and games but I had been doing pretty well up until this point! Disappointed

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@RichHomie said:
    So I've been chugging along with my PTs and suddenly hit a wall in terms of LG in tests in the upper 60s. I've never been great at LG, but up until now I've gotten it down to -3/4 per section. In my last 3 PTs I've gotten -7 on 66, -8 on 67, -9 on 68, and -8 on 69. Kind of freaking out - I've worked so hard to improve the LG over the past 4 months and suddenly it seems with the newer tests I'm back to square one

I'm not sure if they're actually harder but it seems like they have many more "weird" unpredictable games that don't fit any convention. In the past there would usually be a standard sequencing game to start, and in/out game, and some grouping game. Now the recent games either have some twist or some thing that throws me off

Not trying to make any excuses! I know that if I really was proficient at LG I would be able to adapt to the weirdness of the rules and games but I had been doing pretty well up until this point! Disappointed

I know it sucks but don't be too disappointed. My LG skills really diminished in the 60s and many people experience the same. I've found that if you just remain calm and flexible, you can get through many of these unconventional games. Just dive in and start diagramming what you can. Sometimes the questions can give you a clue on how the game is going to be set up.

The most helpful thing you can do to give yourself the best shot at these games is to make sure you are doing any easier games in the set as quickly as possible. The more time you have for these games the better obviously.

And, of course, when you are done with the PT make sure you fool proof those games. That's really the best way to learn to deal with them.

• RichHomieRichHomie Free Trial Member
    6 karma

I know it sucks but don't be too disappointed. My LG skills really diminished in the 60s and many people experience the same. I've found that if you just remain calm and flexible, you can get through many of these unconventional games. Just dive in and start diagramming what you can. Sometimes the questions can give you a clue on how the game is going to be set up.

The most helpful thing you can do to give yourself the best shot at these games is to make sure you are doing any easier games in the set as quickly as possible. The more time you have for these games the better obviously.

And, of course, when you are done with the PT make sure you fool proof those games. That's really the best way to learn to deal with them.

Thank you for the encouragement. Would you say the preptests in the 60s are outliers or are they what I should expect going forward? And yes I will definitely rely on the explanatory videos!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@RichHomie said:

Thank you for the encouragement. Would you say the preptests in the 60s are outliers or are they what I should expect going forward? And yes I will definitely rely on the explanatory videos!

No, it's a trend that continued into the 70's as well. There are a few oddball games that can throw a wrench into your score. PT 79 for example has a brutal game about a computer virus. Like @"Alex Divine" said though, if you stay calm and focus the games are doable.

• ZaTablerZaTabler Alum Member
    513 karma

I took the actual LSAT 80 last December and got destroyed by the games section. I re did the section and realized I left out or misinterpreted a very simple rule which wrecked the entire game. I'd say pay attention to every single rule and make sure you reread them if you get hung up.