Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Confirmed] Unlimited LSAT takes!

2»

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@Sprinkles said:
    I wonder what this means for students with LSAC fee waivers.

I don't believe they will exceed the 2 free takes, but I guess it may be possible for them to add an additional free take to make it 3. I can't see them giving someone unlimited free takes though, that would be insane if someone could do that! haha, if only :(

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@TheMikey said:

@Sprinkles said:

I don't believe they will exceed the 2 free takes, but I guess it may be possible for them to add an additional free take to make it 3. I can't see them giving someone unlimited free takes though, that would be insane if someone could do that! haha, if only :(

lol if only. <3 <3

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@TheMikey said:

@Sprinkles said:

Haha, yeah makes sense.

• stephy95182020stephy95182020 Alum Member
    38 karma

@CinnamonTea said:
    Although I think it is positive development for test takers overall, I feel like the 3-times-in-2-years rule also serves to motivate many people.

I can see the motivation in the 3times/2years rule, but when I first found out about this former rule (before any studying), it made me think if I have a chance at all. I wasn't too confident I would be able to do good on the LSAC, especially given this limitation so I really thought about alternative life plans just in case. Maybe it was just me overthinking it, but I am sure maybe other people felt this way too when thinking about going to law school.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Spivey just posted on Twitter that starting in 2018-2019 the LSAT will be offered 6 times a year

10774 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    Spivey just posted on Twitter that starting in 2018-2019 the LSAT will be offered 6 times a year

Nice!

• goblue08goblue08 Core Member
    48 karma

Coming from someone who was close to the threshold this is great news. My first two takes I received the same score (154) and never really pushed myself to study hard. My next take was going to be my final opportunity (I still hope it is!), but this allows room for error should something happen on the 3rd attempt.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@Freddy_D said:

He's also projecting that all of the existing dates get reshuffled. Instead of Feb/June/Sept/Dec and then adding supplement months like August and April.. they might all just get moved around (Jan, Mar, May, July, Sept, Nov for example). He thinks we might see this news break sometime today.

10774 karma

@slcaldwell82590 said:
    Coming from someone who was close to the threshold this is great news. My first two takes I received the same score (154) and never really pushed myself to study hard. My next take was going to be my final opportunity (I still hope it is!), but this allows room for error should something happen on the 3rd attempt.

Yeah <3. I really love unlimited takes for this reason as well. It now just becomes about scoring your potential and that opportunity is not limited by number of takes.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Feel free to make a new thread about this! :)

• 1025 karma

What would be a reason for this change?

4196 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:

Possibly the fact that some schools have started to accept the GRE. LSAC probably fears losing business by people opting out of taking the LSAT and just taking the GRE

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:

I would guess to be more competitive with other tests like the GRE/GMAT. Financial incentives probably played a large role, too.

Either way, I'm happy to see LSAC making changes that make the test better!

• 1025 karma

I totally agree with the benefits from it! @"Alex Divine"

@TheMikey It sure would sway me to study for the LSAT.

I wonder how it will affect this cycle. Maybe more people that are less ready (aka- lower scorers) will try and take it. Nevertheless, it's very interesting!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 3679 karma

Can anyone think of any negatives to this option? -- is taking the LSAT 'too many' times detrimental? And what would admissions folks consider as 'too many'?

4196 karma

@tringo335 said:
    Can anyone think of any negatives to this option? -- is taking the LSAT 'too many' times detrimental? And what would admissions folks consider as 'too many'?

I think there is really no telling what negatives can result from this change until we see how admissions committees react to it. If they don't care, then applicants will go on as they have and if they have multiple scores then adcomms will care about your highest. If they do care, there's the possibility of them holding it over an applicant somehow. But I feel like if U.S. News doesn't really make schools report all scores, then adcomms most likely won't give a crap.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

It's hard to answer because I'm not sure how this new rule will change how they look at multiple LSAT scores. Previously, under the old rule even if most schools didn't average tests they still considered them. Especially the top schools. So I would guess it is still better to have one high score rather than multiple scores. At the end of the day, I don't think you'll ever be at too much of a disadvantage from multiple retakes.

• hon132hon132 Free Trial Member
    122 karma

@tringo335 said:

It would depend on the school and how they react to it. This along with the LSAC upping tests per year from 4 to 6 probably will cause some issues with some of them. Redoing is one thing but I don't think any school would want someone who takes it 4 or 5 times within a year until they get a score they like over someone who only took it once or twice.

• apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    edited August 2017 696 karma

These changes like accepting the GRE and giving more opportunities to take the LSAT, with no limitations on the number of takes no less, seem to indicate that law school is becoming a lot more like business and trade schools. I think this'll encourage older people to apply and will put more pressure on people to have work experience before law school.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited August 2017 27809 karma

Schools will continue to be primarily concerned with maintaining/increasing their rankings. The real question is, will USNews change their metrics? This would fundamentally affect the foundations of this consideration, and if I were just starting out, I'd be really concerned with the potential to switch from high score to average. For now, I think the traditional policy holds: Don't take until you're ready.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@"Cant Get Right"

I'd be really concerned with the potential to switch from high score to average.

what do you mean by this?

3679 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    @"Cant Get Right"

I'd be really concerned with the potential to switch from high score to average.

what do you mean by this?

Same question ....

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@tringo335 reading again. Sounds like he is saying that USNWR could respond to unlimited takes by incorporating the average of a candidate's scores into their rankings. Doing so would have a major effect on for any retakers because admissions councils would suddenly care A LOT more.

• hon132hon132 Free Trial Member
    122 karma

I don't know when it's dated but here's a summary list of top law school policies involving multiple scores. Many already state they consider your entire LSAT history while others only consider your highest. Imo, do your best the first time, try again if necessary, but just because it's an option doesn't mean you should take advantage of the unlimited tries.

https://www.velocitylsat.com/resources/law-school-multiple-lsat-score-policies

3679 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    @tringo335 reading again. Sounds like he is saying that USNWR could respond to unlimited takes by incorporating the average of a candidate's scores into their rankings. Doing so would have a major effect on for any retakers because admissions councils would suddenly care A LOT more.

ahh gotcha; that makes sense.

4196 karma

Yeah, if they start averaging, I'm more than fucked.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:

I would think if they do eventually start averaging again, it would be a way off into the future. I also think schools will fight that as much as they can so they can keep their rankings. I would't worry too much about this. It would suck though, haha. I'm so paranoid I'm refusing to take this test until I'm hitting 180s like SweetTort ;)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Yeah, that's what I meant. For me, it'd have huge implications. My high score is 170. My average is 165. Those early mistakes would suddenly become very, very meaningful if they start averaging.

4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

I would think if they do eventually start averaging again, it would be a way off into the future. I also think schools will fight that as much as they can so they can keep their rankings. I would't worry too much about this. It would suck though, haha. I'm so paranoid I'm refusing to take this test until I'm hitting 180s like SweetTort ;)

Yeah, hopefully they don't average or else I'll most likely not be going to a top school.

Live, Love, SweetTort <3

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

Yeah, hopefully they don't average or else I'll most likely not be going to a top school.

Live, Love, SweetTort <3

:disappointed: SweetTort: the rubber band ball that stole our hearts. We hardly knew ye.

4196 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Live, Love, SweetTort <3

:disappointed: SweetTort: the rubber band ball that stole our hearts. We hardly knew ye.

I spoke to him frequently in PMs. He's a great guy tbh, just very neurotic lol

Long Live The Tort

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@Freddy_D said:

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

Live, Love, SweetTort <3

@TheMikey said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

Live, Love, SweetTort <3

:cry: </3

You and SweetTort were my first LSAT-buddies... I'm getting emotional now.

He will always be Frank Underwood to me!

4196 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

:cry: </3

You and SweetTort were my first LSAT-buddies... I'm getting emotional now.

He will always be Frank Underwood to me!

Haha FACTS! Someone not too long ago had his old Frank avatar and I got excited thinking it was him lol.

I wonder how he is doing..