RC - Strategies

MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member

Hey guys!

So, I've spent the majority of my study time focusing on LR and LG. I know I need to dive into RC but I'm not really sure how to go about it. I've read others notation strategies and have skimmed question types but I want to know if one is prioritized over the other.

Did you focus on getting your timing and notation right before diving into questions or, did you focus on the questions first?

Not sure how to be the most productive with my time when it comes to RC.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

-M

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mitzyyyy said:
    Hey guys!

So, I've spent the majority of my study time focusing on LR and LG. I know I need to dive into RC but I'm not really sure how to go about it. I've read others notation strategies and have skimmed question types but I want to know if one is prioritized over the other.

Did you focus on getting your timing and notation right before diving into questions or, did you focus on the questions first?

Not sure how to be the most productive with my time when it comes to RC.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

-M

Although both are very important I think it makes sense to get really good at reading and understanding the passages first. I did this by practicing the memory method as JY recommends in the CC.

• sydney.princesydney.prince Alum Member
    2 karma

Definitely work on the memory method and recognizing the main points in each section of the reading first and get used to doing it fast. I focused a lot on the other two as well and saw a lot of improvement there but still struggle with RC. Repetition and practice has helped me a lot!

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma

I agree with the advice above. I would definitely say a strategy that helps you understand the passages like the memory method or low-high resolution summary should be prioritized over notation strategy. That being said, you also need to know RC question types. I think its not emphasized enough buts its really important. RC questions are very different from LR questions and add a lot of details and specificity about what they might be asking.

• JDtobeeeeJDtobeeee Alum Member
    edited August 2017 175 karma

I'd suggest trying out different notation strategies (either during a 35 min drill or during a full PT). Check your RC score after you try out a certain strategy. I think there are tons of good resources for notation but it comes down to what makes the most sense for YOU and what will help YOU understand/memorize the passage best. I found that I had to experiment with strategies to find what worked for me.

Also (after lots of practice and drilling passages) a key suggestion (that worked for me at least) is to refer back to the passage as little as possible (other than when there is a specific line reference). This comes with confidence which ultimately comes with doing tons of passages.

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    429 karma

@Sami said:

I agree with the advice above. I would definitely say a strategy that helps you understand the passages like the memory method or low-high resolution summary should be prioritized over notation strategy. That being said, you also need to know RC question types. I think its not emphasized enough buts its really important. RC questions are very different from LR questions and add a lot of details and specificity about what they might be asking.

Is there a place where RC question type is listed? How do you know the different question types? Thank you!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

That being said, you also need to know RC question types. I think its not emphasized enough buts its really important. RC questions are very different from LR questions and add a lot of details and specificity about what they might be asking.

@Sami You are absolutely right. And to be more specifically, on any given question type, we need to focus on which part of the passage we are being asked about. I am finding myself falling into traps because I choose as AC that is supported by the passage, but it's not supported by the right part of the passage.

For example, a theory is presented and the author points out an oversight of that theory. If a question asks "which of the following is most consistent with that theory" then we need to choose the answer choice which works with the theory. A trap in that instance could be an AC that points to the oversight the author mentions. This is tricky because technically, the theory allows for this AC since it is an oversight and not a contradiction.