Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not sure what to report as my ethnicity

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I will preface this post by saying for most of my life race/ethnicity was not a big part of my identity, nor did I really research or probe my parents about my ancestry. My parents are both from the Philippines, so naturally in Undergrad admissions I merely put "Asian" as my race.

However, throughout college my ethnic background and ancestry has become more important to me. In fact, my personal statement will be about how my family's immigrant history pushed me to pursue law.

I found out that my ethnic background isn't just purely Filipino. I always sort of knew this, my dad doesn't look Filipino at all and my mom is more pale-skinned.

My dad is what Filipinos call a "mestizo-pinoy" - 1/2 Spanish (from Spain), 1/2 Filipino. My mom is 1/2 Chinese, 1/2 Filipino.

I mean my dad literally gets mistaken for purely Hispanic (he has really really curly hair and pale white skin). Our mixed genetics has made all my brothers look very different - one looks Mexican, one like a Hapa, one like an Italian, and then me - the most Chinese looking one.

To mark my application as just Asian - Filipino/Chinese feels wrong. It's not an accurate portrayal of what my ethnicity really is, nor is it what I identify as.

But how do I mark "Spanish?" Caucasian? Hispanic? Also, while the U.S. Census Bureau's understanding of the definition of "Hispanic" is those Latin American countries or other countries that speak Spanish, others define it as those countries that were colonized by Spain and had resulting Spanish influence. The Philippines, a country that was colonized by the Spaniards, has pretty evident Spanish influence (a high level of Catholocism, the food, even people's names (dad's name is Alberto, mom's is Trinidad (Spanish for Trinity)), and is grouped in as being a Hispanic nation according to non-Census standards.

Because of that, I personally identify as having come from a Hispanic country, but this is currently incongruous with the U.S. Census Bureau's definition.

If it were up to what I personally identify as, I would 100% put Hispanic. However, I'm worried this will look disingenuous to the admission's officers or the LSAC in general. I'm contemplating sending an e-mail directly to the LSAC to lay all my cards on the table and get a decision with some finality.

But what do you all think? What should I mark my ethnicity as? Especially mentors/people working for 7Sage. I could really use the advice!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

Many give an option for multiple boxes to be checked. I'll be checking multiple boxes. Hispanic, for the purposes of the application, is defined as a person of Cuban, Mexican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. So. Yeah. I believe Filipino is a box now in some apps.

However, as someone who has a lot of experience in the countries/cultures you mentioned, just marking Hispanic feels sorta disingenuous to me. I don't want to step over a line, as your identity is your own, but that Spanish influence, in my mind, has gone beyond being an independent marker in the Philippines to being an integral part of being the modern filipino experience. Which is sorta to say, if they only gave you the binary choice of Asian or Hispanic, eh. Fuck it. A convincing case can be made for both. But, at least in the 2009 LSAC ethnicity codes, there is a clear Filipino subcategory identified under Asian, so: https://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/file-layouts/lsac_ethnicity_codes_2009.pdf

I'd be careful, though, given the fact that marking only Hispanic could be seen as trying to game the system, working a perceived admissions bias that favors Hispanics against Asians. This could bite you in the ass in admissions and later character and fitness evaluations.

Ticking the box only gets you so far, though. Sounds like you could write a compelling diversity statement on exploring your identity either way, and that seems more valuable.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I will preface this post by saying for most of my life race/ethnicity was not a big part of my identity, nor did I really research or probe my parents about my ancestry. My parents are both from the Philippines, so naturally in Undergrad admissions I merely put "Asian" as my race.

However, throughout college my ethnic background and ancestry has become more important to me. In fact, my personal statement will be about how my family's immigrant history pushed me to pursue law.

I found out that my ethnic background isn't just purely Filipino. I always sort of knew this, my dad doesn't look Filipino at all and my mom is more pale-skinned.

My dad is what Filipinos call a "mestizo-pinoy" - 1/2 Spanish (from Spain), 1/2 Filipino. My mom is 1/2 Chinese, 1/2 Filipino.

I mean my dad literally gets mistaken for purely Hispanic (he has really really curly hair and pale white skin). Our mixed genetics has made all my brothers look very different - one looks Mexican, one like a Hapa, one like an Italian, and then me - the most Chinese looking one.

To mark my application as just Asian - Filipino/Chinese feels wrong. It's not an accurate portrayal of what my ethnicity really is, nor is it what I identify as.

But how do I mark "Spanish?" Caucasian? Hispanic? Also, while the U.S. Census Bureau's understanding of the definition of "Hispanic" is those Latin American countries or other countries that speak Spanish, others define it as those countries that were colonized by Spain and had resulting Spanish influence. The Philippines, a country that was colonized by the Spaniards, has pretty evident Spanish influence (a high level of Catholocism, the food, even people's names (dad's name is Alberto, mom's is Trinidad (Spanish for Trinity)), and is grouped in as being a Hispanic nation according to non-Census standards.

Because of that, I personally identify as having come from a Hispanic country, but this is currently incongruous with the U.S. Census Bureau's definition.

If it were up to what I personally identify as, I would 100% put Hispanic. However, I'm worried this will look disingenuous to the admission's officers or the LSAC in general. I'm contemplating sending an e-mail directly to the LSAC to lay all my cards on the table and get a decision with some finality.

But what do you all think? What should I mark my ethnicity as? Especially mentors/people working for 7Sage. I could really use the advice!

Thanks in advance.

There's no "right" answer in these situations. I've seen other threads on here and TLS asking similar questions. You should put down what you identify with.

https://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/file-layouts/lsac_ethnicity_codes_2009.pdf

From: http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity-in-law ... applicants

"Law schools consider your ethnic or racial status to be whatever you indicate on your LSAT registration forms."

So, for admissions and reporting purposes, law schools will use what you state on your application. So don't worry about the messy technicalities.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Thanks for your replies @"Alex Divine" and @username.

To clarify, that my intention is to fill multiple boxes. I've filled Filipino, Chinese, and as of now Hispanic and Caucasian. The technical minutiae of ethnicity/race categories is what confuses me. You really think I should just put what I identify as @"Alex Divine" ?

@username That's my exact fear. It's no secret that marking yourself as "Hispanic" could give you a leg up in admissions, and I'm afraid doing so would undesirably raise eyebrows.

Still, how would you both suggest I report "Spanish?" My dad is 1/2 Spanish, so is that considered Caucasian since it's from Europe?

• usernameusername Alum Member
    edited August 2017 276 karma

Nope, Spanish is definitely Hispanic (just not Latino). If you're checking more than one box, go with Hispanic.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Thanks for your replies @"Alex Divine" and @username.

To clarify, that my intention is to fill multiple boxes. I've filled Filipino, Chinese, and as of now Hispanic and Caucasian. The technical minutiae of ethnicity/race categories is what confuses me. You really think I should just put what I identify as @"Alex Divine" ?

@username That's my exact fear. It's no secret that marking yourself as "Hispanic" could give you a leg up in admissions, and I'm afraid doing so would undesirably raise eyebrows.

Still, how would you both suggest I report "Spanish?" My dad is 1/2 Spanish, so is that considered Caucasian since it's from Europe?

Yes, you should really put whatever you identify as. If that means checking multiple boxes, that's fine. No one's eyebrows are going to be raised if you put "Hispanic" if that's what you truly identify as.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited August 2017 1091 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Also, while the U.S. Census Bureau's understanding of the definition of "Hispanic" is those Latin American countries or other countries that speak Spanish, others define it as those countries that were colonized by Spain and had resulting Spanish influence. The Philippines, a country that was colonized by the Spaniards, has pretty evident Spanish influence (a high level of Catholocism, the food, even people's names (dad's name is Alberto, mom's is Trinidad (Spanish for Trinity)), and is grouped in as being a Hispanic nation according to non-Census standards.

There seems to be two relevant questions here.

(1) Who are the 'others' that define 'Hispanic' countries as being those colonized by Spain and had resulting Spanish influence?

(2) What are the non-Census standards you refer to? Who uses these standards? Which organisations etc.?

If the broader definition is used only by a small number of people, governments, schools, organisations, etc. then I would hesitate to use it. If it were me, personally, I would want to avoid using any demographical definitions which were not widely used, or non-standard.

Same with the non-Census standards. If it were me, I would want to avoid using obscure or not-commonly-used standards. Is the U.S. Census Bureau's definitions considered the 'gold standard'? Are there common alternatives?

None of this is to say that the broader definition of 'Hispanic' is actually non-standard - I don't know. But those would be two questions I'd be asking myself if I were in your shoes.

As you suggest, it might be wise to just email the LSAC and lay your cards on the table.

3521 karma

@"Rigid Designator" I think I'm going to.

Does anyone know what a good e-mail to use would be?

Also just to clarify one more time...

Spanish is HISPANIC and NOT Caucasian, even though it is in Europe with white people?!?

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

@"Paul Caint" I did a quick Google search and found this:

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) requires federal agencies to use a minimum of two ethnicities in collecting and reporting data: Hispanic or Latino and Not Hispanic or Latino. OMB defines "Hispanic or Latino" as a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race.

People who identify with the terms “Hispanic” or “Latino” are those who classify themselves in one of the specific Hispanic or Latino categories listed on the decennial census questionnaire and various Census Bureau survey questionnaires – “Mexican, Mexican Am., Chicano” or ”Puerto Rican” or “Cuban” – as well as those who indicate that they are “another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin.”

The 2010 Census question on Hispanic origin included five separate response categories and one area where respondents could write in a specific Hispanic origin group. The first response category was intended for respondents who do not identify as Hispanic. The remaining response categories (“Mexican, Mexican Am., Chicano”; “Puerto Rican”; “Cuban”; and “another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin”) and write-in answers can be combined to create the OMB category of Hispanic.

Taken from: https://www.census.gov/topics/population/hispanic-origin/about.html

If I've understood the text correctly, it would suggest that Spanish is Hispanic, for our present purposes.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

Spanish is HISPANIC and NOT Caucasian, even though it is in Europe with white people?!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

The term Hispanic (Spanish: hispano or hispánico), broadly refers to the people, nations, and cultures that have a historical link to Spain (sometimes Portugal as well). It commonly applies to countries once owned by the Spanish Empire in the Americas (see Spanish colonization of the Americas) and Asia, particularly the countries of Hispanic America and the Philippines. It could be argued that the term should apply to all Spanish-speaking cultures or countries, as the historical roots of the word specifically pertain to the Iberian region. It is difficult to label a nation or culture with one term, such as Hispanic, as the ethnicities, customs, traditions, and art forms (music, literature, dress, culture, cuisine, and others) vary greatly by country and region. The Spanish language and Spanish culture are the main distinctions.[1][2]

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

Here is a link to the LSAC page w/ contact info: https://www.lsac.org/jd/help/contact-lsac

I've read contradicting information re: Spanish/Hispanic/Latino ... It seems like, again, there's no one right answer when it comes to issues of race/ethnicity and identity.

3521 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" That wiki article supporters my "Filipinos are Hispanic" argument :).

Thanks all. I will classify my Spanish blood as Hispanic.

@"Alex Divine" I don't see a link? Also yeah, the whole thing is very confusing and there seem to be many sides to the argument. Could be a good comparative RC passage :smiley:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @"Dillon A. Wright" That wiki article supporters my "Filipinos are Hispanic" argument :).

Thanks all. I will classify my Spanish blood as Hispanic.

@"Alex Divine" I don't see a link? Also yeah, the whole thing is very confusing and there seem to be many sides to the argument. Could be a good comparative RC passage :smiley:

Here ya go: https://www.lsac.org/jd/help/contact-lsac

I feel you, man. I'm mixed myself and researched the proper way to go about identifying myself. The only "right" answer I received from professionals, books, and online, was to identify whatever you feel comfortable identifying as. The entire thing would make for a great A-B RC passage!! :)

Good luck!

• GabMikeeGabMikee Member
    17 karma

I'm so glad this topic was brought up!!

I am Filipino, with both part-Spanish parents and thus, have also been struggling through the same issue. I found it very disappointing to learn that very few applications allows an applicant to indicate "Filipino" as one's ethnicity, and only some even allow multiple boxes to be checked off. Due to this, I have been conflicted with choosing between Filipino, Asian, Hispanic, or Pacific Islander for my ethnicity when in reality, I find myself identifying with all of them.

I actually brought my concern to an Assistant Director of Admissions for a law school and she advised me that it was perfectly fine to indicate multiple ethnicities for my application, and that doing so would not at all raise any eyebrows. With that being said, I plan on indicating every ethnicity I identify with and elaborating on why one box is just not enough in my diversity statement.

3521 karma

@GabMikee Ah! Great to hear I'm not alone on this. So many pinoys are mestizo/mestiza, and it never feels right to identify as "Asian" or in fact solely Filipino. Our ancestry is more diverse than that; being from that country does not make you ethnically monolithic.

• plantbaseddiyaplantbaseddiya Alum Member
    83 karma

There is a BIG difference between race and ethnic identity. Race is defined as your ancestry. Your race is black and white, it is what you are. You ARE Asian You're 3/4th Asian and 1/4th Hispanic, according to your parents. If you want to check 1 box it makes sense to check what you're primarily racially defined by, which is Asian. If you want to check 2 boxes then check Hispanic and Asian, which is what you're also racially defined by.

There's a big difference between who you ethnically identify with and who you are. I'm sure there are plenty of Caucasions who identify more with black people, but they don't put African-American on their race... When you get arrested and they book you, they don't ask who you identify with, they ask you what you are racially. When you get your license at DPS, they don't ask you who you identify with, they ask you your race.

If you really feel strongly about being Hispanic, write about it in a diversity statement. Otherwise, just answer their question with your race.

edited August 2017 3521 karma

@plantbaseddiya Nobody is disputing that. The terms were used ambiguously because in one's LSAC profile the relevant section is titled "Race/Ethnicity." Additionally, each racial category has multiple boxes you can check to determine countries of origin. The confusion being disputed was whether having origins from Spain gave a purely European distinction or a Hispanic one, as well as what would constitute more broadly as Hispanic since such definitions are unclear.

AKA - it is more than just "Am I white? Am I black?" It is where did your ancestors come from. And for certain countries not listed, what would you say?

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Ah, just sip all the confusion and mark "Black/African-American"...;)