Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Average

Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
in General 877 karma

Hi All,

Quick question--we routinely refer to our current "PT average." I know J.Y. must have addressed this somewhere in the CC (I went and looked for the video and could not find it, so maybe I'm making that up), but what constitutes our "average"? Most recent 5 PTs? 10? All of them?

Also, what's the standard outcome regarding performance on test day? I vaguely remember someone (J.Y. maybe?) saying that you can expect to score +3 or -3, depending on how you personally handle pressure and nerves.

Just want to get a realistic range of what I can expect come September. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

7Sage's/JY's standard for your " PT average" is the average of your last 5 PTs.

And I think +3/-3 is right on as far as likely score ranges on test day.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I use my most recent 5 tests as my average. That way it isn't pulled down by older tests that are lower and not indicative of improvement. Test day we say +- 3 just because of random noise in the test. This could be nerves, an easier test, a harder test etc. So the range you want to use is your average plus 3 and minus 3.

For instance my average right now is 169. My range is 166 - 172.

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

@"Alex Divine" @LSATcantwin Awesome-- thank you both!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I think it depends on how frequently you're testing. 5 PTs might be 8 weeks worth of tests for some, and only 2 weeks for others.

I think the past 4-6 weeks or the past 5-10 tests is a good measure. Anywhere in there is a decent bandwidth.

Averages can be deceptive. You might look to the distribution of your scores to figure out a realistic ceiling/floor.

Either way, you've just got to be confident that you've prepared as best you can and that the real administration is your chance to show off your skills that you've worked hard to build. September is simply going to be PT82.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

It's like any other test as far as nerves. You either handle them well or poorly. They even help some people. For me it never makes a difference. I manage to worry just as much for a PT as the real thing. So I get the normal variance from my PT as my expected actual result.

If you underpreformed or overpreformed practice scores on the SAT, ACT, or other high stakes test that can tell you how you handle pressure. If not, then you should do roughly the same as you would expect to on a practice test as long as your practice tests properly simulated realtesting conditions. Some people have tighter score distributions than others. Just look at the range of your last several tests.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I'd say most recent 5 if the time frame isn't huge