Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So i live in Houston.

KillmongerKillmonger Alum Member
in General 332 karma

Of course this hurricane just decimated the city. My family and I are fine, my apartment and the surrounding area are under water but luckily i live on the third floor so none of my stuff is wet and i came to my parents house on the other side of the city that drains a little better.

Im scheduled to take the LSAT this September, and have been studying since December '16. Got an email from the LSAC and they said they'd make provisions regarding the LSAT due to my location (the university of houston) literally being under water.

Has anyone else had a catastrophic issue like this where the LSAC had to reschedule or change the location? If so, what are some of the things they do and the possibilities? One person told me they may move the test to San Antonio, which is 3 hours away from houston. If i have to go to San Antonio, I'm moving the test to December. Im not adding that stress of having to make that ridiculous commute for an already difficult test.

This whole ordeal has been stressful, my family and I have been stranded in our home since Friday. Still have power, food, and internet, a couple generators if needed, all of which is more than most have. And none of my stuff is ruined. Roads and highways are still flooded. My car is okay for now, its in our garage which has a little water but not high enough to harm my car. So for now, i still have transportation but theres more rain coming tomorrow so who knows.

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Ugh that sounds awful. Hopefully things work out. I'm in Dallas and my dad is in Houston. Praying for you guys.

• Nedra C.Nedra C. Alum Member
    57 karma

I'm sorry you're going through this :( Sending positive thoughts your way!

• rnwangumarnwanguma Alum Member
    160 karma

I'm in the Houston area as well. I was thinking that LSAC would just move the September exam to a later date in November or something. If they have to move the exam to a completely different metropolitan area like San Antonio, that's not an option and I'll just have to hold off until December. Anyways, glad to hear you and your family are safe.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

I'm glad you and your fam are okay.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Horrible. Hope everyone recovers completely.

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

When I was in Katrina exile, the first time I tried to take the LSAT, I canceled the night before a snowstorm. The next day I got an email saying that I could have gotten my money back if I hadn't canceled. I think they also offered those lucky few without foresight a test date later that month. Maybe the Sabbath date?

And while it's crass, the property value for places around here that stayed dry jumped 30-50%. Silver linings.

Glad you made it.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

David Killoran from PowerScore sent this tweet. He E-mailed the LSAC about it. Sound's like they are going to go out of their way to accommodate y'all.

For now don't worry about this test. Stay safe my man.

• KillmongerKillmonger Alum Member
    332 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

David Killoran from PowerScore sent this tweet. He E-mailed the LSAC about it. Sound's like they are going to go out of their way to accommodate y'all.

For now don't worry about this test. Stay safe my man.

thanks everyone.

And yeah i saw this post but i just don't like being in the dark of what the real options are. Im a firm believer that it takes so many things to go right for this test to go well but only one thing to go wrong for this thing to go up in flames.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"marvin.dike" Nothing can go wrong, because you have all the right it takes. It may take 100 different things to feel confident enough to take this test. At the end of the day YOU have the strength to do it. None of us here doubt that. I'm rooting for you 100%.

• KillmongerKillmonger Alum Member
    332 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    @"marvin.dike" Nothing can go wrong, because you have all the right it takes. It may take 100 different things to feel confident enough to take this test. At the end of the day YOU have the strength to do it. None of us here doubt that. I'm rooting for you 100%.

I needed this, thanks a lot

• kjsmith914kjsmith914 Alum Member
    226 karma

Hey, I hear you. I moved from Houston to NOLA two months ago and I kept thinking to myself "a hurricane better not happen in September" and LOOK WHAT HAPPENS.

Praying for you. I think it's entirely reasonable to wait until December to take the test, particularly as you should be focusing on your and your family's safety and recovery at this point. If you do decide to take it in SA, consider this a practice run as law schools only consider your highest score anyway. But you need to take your comfort levels and safety into consideration first.

HoustonStrong

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

Absolutely praying for you.
    I think you should do whatever feels right. If you think you can go into September with a clear mind and the confidence needed, do it. However, if you think you're going to walk in wondering if it was a mistake, then I wouldn't take it.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

Glad you're safe, that's the main thing. If Harvey aftermath is anything like Katrina, I wouldn't be confident that even basic infrastructure will be restored by test date. Civilization kinda collapsed for a while after Katrina, and Harvey is sounding--somehow--worse. It was probably about a month before basic services like electricity and gas and roads were reliably available again. Unless you're able to leave the area, things aren't going to be back to normal for a long, long time, and that's not a context you want to be taking the LSAT in. I say get through Harvey and you can take it up again on the other side. Take care.

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

I'm glad to hear your safe! If you aren't feeling September, then I would wait for December. Regardless, I think you are going to do well but you know yourself. You know when you have had enough and need a break.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

:( That completely sucks my man. I'm very happy to know you're safe and still have your mind forward on your goals. With all the stress going on right now don't feel bad about waiting for December. The silver lining might be that those few months net you another 5 points!

I'm sending positive vibes to you and yours

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

So sorry to hear that. I would wait until Dec. if you feel comfortable. Sending love & light :)