Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uh oh, serious coffee issue

2»

Comments

• ZaTablerZaTabler Alum Member
    513 karma

@uhinberg Hell as much prep as I've done I don't care if I piss myself on test day as long as I get a good score.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@ZaTabler said:
    @uhinberg Hell as much prep as I've done I don't care if I piss myself on test day as long as I get a good score.

Amen! Adult diapers as previously mentioned might not be a bad idea.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

HA, adult diapers

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@ZaTabler said:

Those sitting around you might care, though.

• ZaTablerZaTabler Alum Member
    513 karma

@uhinberg said:

@ZaTabler said:

Those sitting around you might care, though.

Alt Text

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

@kkrystyna said:

@TheMikey said:

@kkrystyna said:
    red bull/monster is sooooooooo bad for your health - try hiball/yerba mate etc. from whole foods instead same energy

100% agree.

I had TERRIBLE health in high school, and also had sleeping issues which I always partially attributed to my drinking of Monster basically every single day, sometimes multiple times a day.

I usually drink cold brew now and sometimes the organic energy drinks which are so much better. I cringe when my mom drinks red bulls.

yeah, I'm not a fan of red bull.

iced coffee <3

A red bull every once and a while isn't that bad for you. Trust me, I used to promote it so I'm not lying ;)

Have you looked at the ingredients lOL??? I'm not going to get into it but I also eat organic/vegetarian etc. so I guess some people may have a different view of what healthy is :)

708 karma

@TheMikey said:
    about to have my first cup of coffee <3

vanilla creamer ftw<3

how do people drink their coffee black

I drink my coffee black or with a splash of coconut milk. ;)

• elle_satelle_sat Alum Member
    98 karma

@kkrystyna said:

@TheMikey said:

vanilla creamer ftw<3

Atta girl! I knew there had to be someone else that drinks it black!

708 karma

@elle_sat said:

@kkrystyna said:

@TheMikey said:

vanilla creamer ftw<3

Atta girl! I knew there had to be someone else that drinks it black!

I'm also a mom - can't imagine it any other way need coffee to stay alive haha

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2017 23929 karma

@kkrystyna said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@TheMikey said:

@kkrystyna said:

@TheMikey said:

@kkrystyna said:
    red bull/monster is sooooooooo bad for your health - try hiball/yerba mate etc. from whole foods instead same energy

100% agree.

I had TERRIBLE health in high school, and also had sleeping issues which I always partially attributed to my drinking of Monster basically every single day, sometimes multiple times a day.

I usually drink cold brew now and sometimes the organic energy drinks which are so much better. I cringe when my mom drinks red bulls.

yeah, I'm not a fan of red bull.

iced coffee <3

A red bull every once and a while isn't that bad for you. Trust me, I used to promote it so I'm not lying ;)

Have you looked at the ingredients lOL??? I'm not going to get into it but I also eat organic/vegetarian etc. so I guess some people may have a different view of what healthy is :)

I take a more "everything in moderation" view. Plus, Red Bull gives you wings, so... ;)

4196 karma

I can't do black coffee, it tastes so bad to me. I can do without the milk if I'm put in that situation, but I'd at least need like ONE sugar pack or something in it lol

lattes & white mochas <3

2326 karma

It's before noon and I'm two cups of Joe into the day. Where are y'all holding?

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@uhinberg said:
    It's before noon and I'm two cups of Joe into the day. Where are y'all holding?

It's 8:11 I have drank a Monster and a cup of covfefe. I can see sound.

2326 karma

As long as you can't taste sound, you're OK.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Trying to quit cold turkey...almost got into 3 car accidents and tore a hole in my pants. Overall this is not working

4196 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    Trying to quit cold turkey...almost got into 3 car accidents and tore a hole in my pants. Overall this is not working

the other day I didn't have coffee and the whole day I had a raging headache. didn't think it was the lack of coffee until I told my grandmother and she pointed it out.

4196 karma

although that may just be a correlation and not a causation ;)

or I may be failing to consider alternative possibilities such as it being all in my head that the lack of coffee caused me to have a headache ;)

2326 karma

Caffeine withdrawal headaches are the real deal.

• elle_satelle_sat Alum Member
    98 karma

Oh gosh. Cold turkey is a bit intense. Maybe try decaf for a little?

708 karma

so what is everyone doing on the exam then?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I accidentally lost my coffee tolerance a while ago. Doctor ordered me to drink lots of green tea and I stopped coffee for a few weeks. Now I get BAD shakes if I have regular coffee again! :( I drink decaf a few times a week though. But, coffee makes me have to pee super bad about an hour afterward so think I'm gonna go with just some green tea that morning. Less pee urgency, but still a pop of caffeine.

• lizpillizpil Member
    282 karma

I drink coffee all day long. It's pretty awful. Studies flip flop all day long on the ramifications/health benefits of coffee. But here's a couple of things. Try Yerba Matte, people dig that stuff. It's supposed to be healthier than coffee with less burn out. As far as weaning yourself off coffee, try this. Cold turkey is really hard way to quit a lot of things. Try attrition. Start by doing this: As them to put two shots of espresso and one decaf. See how that feels. Then start taking less and less if you want to quit it together. I did this with smoking. I continually pushed back allowable smoking times until my body got used to not smoking. Then when I did smoke, I really felt it and it began associating smoking with feeling bad rather than feeling "better" after smoking.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27866 karma

@TheMikey said:
    I can't do black coffee, it tastes so bad to me. I can do without the milk if I'm put in that situation, but I'd at least need like ONE sugar pack or something in it lol

99% of the coffee out there is bad coffee (Yes, this most definitely includes Starbucks, although they've done wonderful things for the specialty coffee industry and coffee culture more broadly). If you try a coffee that's from a good farm, that's from a reputable roaster, that's been roasted within the last two weeks (aka is fresh), and that has been properly prepared, you may find that the problem isn't that you don't like coffee but that you simply have excellent taste and have been correct in disliking terrible coffee.

4196 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@TheMikey said:

99% of the coffee out there is bad coffee (Yes, this most definitely includes Starbucks, although they've done wonderful things for the specialty coffee industry and coffee culture more broadly). If you try a coffee that's from a good farm, that's from a reputable roaster, that's been roasted within the last two weeks (aka is fresh), and that has been properly prepared, you may find that the problem isn't that you don't like coffee but that you simply have excellent taste and have been correct in disliking terrible coffee.

You're probably right..

I've only tasted black coffee once and hated it, so I prob should give another type a try without any added stuff..

I love Starbucks though lol. love love love it, specifically like 4 drinks only, but love it. even though I love Starbucks, I think many of the drinks they have are actually not that good.. for example, pumpkin spice lattes are overrated af and taste terrible.. lol. overall though, sbux is just an acquired taste I guess.. I actually had a nutrition prof who wrote her dissertation on that exact topic of sbux being an acquired taste. it was pretty interesting when she showed us the details, but I can't remember any since it was like 3 years ago lol

27866 karma

Yeah, that sounds like a cool dissertation @TheMikey . I'd actually really love to read it, lol. The issue with Starbucks is essentially just the quality/quantity equation. At their scale, there's just no way around accommodating quantity. They can't source the best coffees which are typically smaller lots, and they have to create roast profiles with consistency in mind rather than with highlighting the best properties of the coffee--hence the characteristic dark roasts which are typically considered undesirable by coffee professionals. Other than K-pods where you're ultimately paying about $50 a pound(!!), Starbucks is the worst value for the money in coffee. There's a lot of other considerations beyond the product itself, of course, and I really don't mean to hate on The 'bucks, but if you really want to give coffee a fair shot, try out a local place with a partnership with a good regional roaster like Counter Culture or Equator or something like that. It'll taste better, and a much higher proportion of what you pay will stay within your community and with the farming communities that make it all possible. #local , lol.

2326 karma

Happy National Coffee Day to all 7Sage coffee drinkers, especially @"Cant Get Right"

4196 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Happy National Coffee Day to all 7Sage coffee drinkers, especially @"Cant Get Right"

isn't that tomorrow O_O

4196 karma

I'm drinking some coffee rn actually :sunglasses: French vanilla creamer

13286 karma

Oh man! Everyone make sure to go get some Folgers. I heard it's @"Cant Get Right" favorite. He recommends it to everyone I think.

(Sarcastic)

2326 karma

@TheMikey said:

@uhinberg said:

isn't that tomorrow O_O

Oh. I just got an e-mail for some coffee special in honor of the day. I guess it was one day early.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited September 2017 10789 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    Oh man! Everyone make sure to go get some Folgers. I heard it's @"Cant Get Right" favorite. He recommends it to everyone I think.

(Sarcastic)

I heard that too. It's carefully crafted and hand picked in some town in Mississippi and has notes of crap and vomit and bad things. Delicious! :D

27866 karma

Hey it's 5 o'clock somewhere, right?

Today, I'm drinking Guatemala el Injerto Natural from Equator Coffee. Bright, sparkling acidity, floral aroma with notes of strawberry syrup and brandy.

2326 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

Today, I'm drinking Guatemala el Injerto Natural from Equator Coffee. Bright, sparkling acidity, floral aroma with notes of strawberry syrup and brandy.

Looks like you're gonna need a job in Biglaw to support that gourmet taste!

27866 karma

@uhinberg said:

Cheaper than Starbucks;) The trick is just knowing how to make it well. Grab a bur grinder, a gooseneck kettle, and a clever coffee dripper, and you'll be set.

2326 karma

Sounds like an awesome webinar subject!

13286 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@uhinberg said:

Cheaper than Starbucks;) The trick is just knowing how to make it well. Grab a bur grinder, a gooseneck kettle, and a clever coffee dripper, and you'll be set.

Man...you sound like you need to come out west to San Francisco and Portland. We have a coffee shop on every street that knows how to make the best coffee! You'd be in heaven.

27866 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Sounds like an awesome webinar subject!

Haha, I wonder if JY would approve that. An argument could definitely be made that it's relevant to studying for the LSAT. Without good coffee, I'd've only scored a 125.

@LSATcantwin said:
    Man...you sound like you need to come out west to San Francisco and Portland. We have a coffee shop on every street that knows how to make the best coffee! You'd be in heaven.

Always wanted to make it out that way. Did LA for a week, but that's about the extent of my West Coast experience. Some great coffee spots there if you know where to look, but definitely not the kind of ubiquitous coffee culture that higher up the coast is so well known for.

708 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

so no black coffee for you then? I'm drinking an organic french roast with a splash of soy milk right now haha ;)

27866 karma

@sillllyxo said:
    so no black coffee for you then? I'm drinking an organic french roast with a splash of soy milk right now haha ;)

Lol. No way. If it's not at least 80% milk and sugar with a fancy name that arbitrarily ends with a "-ccino," then it's not for me.

708 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@sillllyxo said:

Lol. No way. If it's not at least 80% milk and sugar with a fancy name that arbitrarily ends with a "-ccino," then it's not for me

blehhhhhhhh :smile:

27866 karma

@sillllyxo said:
    blehhhhhhhh :smile:

Haha. I second that!