Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Systematic Approaches to Rule Substitution Questions?

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
edited September 2017 in Logic Games 3521 karma

Hey all.

I did PT 71 today and ran into some rule substitution questions. I've found these questions to either be really easy (intuitive) or really hard, without there really being a middle ground. Like J.Y. said in his video on Rule Substitution questions, a lot of the times it feels like I just get it or I don't.

On PT 71, I didn't really get it. I narrowed it down to two answer choices. This time I decided to take a more systematic approach.

I redrew my entire game board substituting for the new rule to see if I got the same inferences.

This method got me to the right answer, but I will say it took A LOT of time, more than I think was worth it (felt rushed the rest of the section).

Does anyone have more efficient systematic approaches to these types of questions? Or should I just train myself to be faster and redrawing the game board? Or should I just guess lol?

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Have you checked out LSAT Trainer on this type of question? I really like what he writes.
    Also, if you quickly scan the last question of a game set and see that there is a rule substitution question, you can try and be mindful of what the rule does as you initially draw your game board, which will enable you to see exactly what inferences that rule forces out.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@"Paul Caint" which game on PT 71 are you referencing? There is actually 2 rule substitution questions on that exam.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@BinghamtonDave Question 16 was the one I had to draw out.

Question 5 used almost the exact mechanism used in a question in PT 70 (which I took yesterday), so I got that one "intuitively."

@uninberg No I haven't. That's a good idea to scan for a rule sub question first! I'll try that out next time.

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

I personally use JY's method of seeing if it 'knocks out a world' or 'sneaks one in.' I also use the um approach. If a new world isn't quickly kicked out or sneaked in, I don't cross out that answer choice until I've seen the rest. If I confidently eliminated 4 answer choices I choose the one I didn't eliminate and move on. Only if I have time at the end do I come back to confirm the one I chose.