PT79.S1.Q20 - sociologist: television, telephones, and other electronic media

rogersalexandra7rogersalexandra7 Alum Member
edited September 2017 in Logical Reasoning 213 karma

So for this one I was having a lot of trouble because I couldn't see how any of the answers could be true based off the stimulus. Can someone explain this question to me please? Ty!

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-79-section-1-question-20/

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

A could be true is something that does not contradict the information in the stimulus: particularly, often the conditional reasoning in the stimulus. Wholly irrelevant information could (potentially) be true. What I mean by this is that the irrelevant information could be true without impeding on the integrity of the information given in the stimulus. In the lessons, Mr. Ping often says in could be true EXCEPT questions, a statement like "cats like to drink milk" could be true.

As an example, if I tell you:
    In 2016, the Chicago Cubs won the MLB world series.

It could be true that: in 2016 I got married, in 2016 The United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union, in September 2016 there was a virus game on the US administration of the LSAT that tripped many students up.

What must be false is something like: in 2016 the New York Mets won the MLB world series.

This is the first step in the mindset that one should approach could be true EXCEPT/must be false questions on the LSAT in my estimation. In order to be MBF, you have to in some degree be talking about vaguely relevant information to that contained in the stimulus.

The next step we should apply to could be true EXCEPT/must be false questions on the LSAT in my opinion is to pay particularly close attention to conditional reasoning, because often a tricky way that the exam gives us the MBF, it to give us a conditional statement in the stimulus: A---->B, and then give us: A and B in an answer choice. This is the denial of the conditional relationship we were given.

I hope this general outline helps moving forward on MBF questions
    David