Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

having NOT and UNLESS in the same sentence

Gary NYCGary NYC Free Trial Member

Hey Guys,

I always get confused when we have a group 3 and 4 word. For instance, PT 69, part 4, question 21, answer choice D.

So, we have /published AND important and well written (The published is negative and crossed out)

How would I take it from here since we have unless and not. I went through the lessons, and it said I can make either one negative. So I will make published positive and keep important and well written. So this answer choice would read.. if published----> is important and well written.

Is this correct?

Comments

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

When I see 'unless' and 'not' I immediately make the 'not' variable the sufficient condition. I think it's the easiest way to do it.

D) published -> well written and important

but the correct answer is A) impt -> published
    we need important and well written -> published to fill the gap. impt -> published gives us that.

• Gary NYCGary NYC Free Trial Member
    95 karma

@RafaelBernard I think i'm getting it. My only question is... do you negate the not variable because it starts off with not?

In other words if we have this example:

He is not cool unless he is on the football team

is it

A. /cool (negate cool)----> on football team

or

b. cool (not negated)---> on football team

In other words, does the not make it negative when you do this?

edited September 2017 1063 karma

He is not cool unless he is on the football team.
    cool -> football team

You negate 'not cool' which becomes cool. I do this because it's the easiest way to do it. Don't think of 'not' as a 4th group indicator when you see the unless. Just negate that term and put it in the sufficient condition. All that means is dropping the not and turning unless into the arrow.

Here's another example.

The car won't run unless it's full of gas.

95 karma

so.

car runs----> full of gas

I see. whatever has not in front of it, is made positive and put as the sufficient condition?

edited September 2017 1063 karma

@"Gary NYC" said:
    so.

car runs----> full of gas

I see. whatever has not in front of it, is made positive and put as the sufficient condition?

Yup, that's right. Now it only applies when there is a 'not' and an 'unless'. If there are two nots, just take one concept. But for me this is by far the easiest way to think of conditional statements when there is a 'not' and an 'unless' in the same sentence.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I always translate these statements into their positive versions, then diagram their contrapositives. For example:

I will not do well on the LSAT unless I study.

If I do well on the test, I must have studied.

DW -> S

S/ -> DW/

95 karma

thank you both!!!