Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR "recent"

Hi,

I don't really see any information about LOR rules except how many.

I was hoping to apply last cycle and get my LORs submitted to LSAC but after decided to postpone. Should I ask my LOR writers to re-write it with a more recent date? Or will an older LOR be ok? They probably wrote these sometime between Sept-Dec of 2016.

I am sure they will rewrite it if I ask, I was extra sweet when they did it and gave hand written cards as thank yous.

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Bumping this to the top!

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

They are fine to reuse

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma

Totally fine to use last year's LORs! If you want, you could ask them simply to update the date and resent to LSAC (you'd have to request again), but that's not necessary.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

You can reuse them, they're totally fine and are not old or anything

• side braidside braid Member
    edited September 2017 83 karma

@"David.Busis" what about LORs from 6 years ago? I applied to law school in 2011 but did not end up accepting any offers. I am applying this cycle for Fall 2018.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"side braid" said:
    @"David.Busis" what about LORs from 6 years ago? I applied to law school in 2011 but did not end up accepting any offers. I am applying this cycle for Fall 2018.

According to TLS it sounds like its advisable to get new ones after anything more than a year or so. The same contents of the letter are fine, but schools have apparently urged the applicants to at the very least get the dates on the header from your writers updated.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma

@"side braid" I would ask your professors if they could update the letters. It shouldn't be too onerous—presumably they'll still have the old LORs lying around on the computer.

• bklsat05bklsat05 Member
    177 karma

thanks guys! Super helpful. I'll write to update just in case, and make sure they know that it is totally OK not to do it