Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Accurate and Complete List" Type Questions

inactiveinactive Alum Member
in Logic Games 12637 karma

Hey guys,

Got a great question from a student that I thought you could help with. Here it is!

Do you mind answering a question I have about "accurate and complete list" type Qs on the logic games?

So, if I'm not mistaken, for a question like: "Which one of the following is a list of variables, any one of which cannot belong to group A?", we have to check ALL possible worlds and come up with a complete list of all the variables from all the possible worlds that cannot go in A.

--as opposed to: a question like "Which one of the following could be the list of variables that go in group A?" Because this question doesn't have the phrase "any one of which," it would suffice to find an answer choice that matches just ONE of the possible worlds, right?

So my question is:

For a question like "Which one of the following CANNOT be the complete assignment of paralegals to the Thompson case?" (PT 69 G4 Q22), would we have to check ALL possible worlds or just ONE possible world? I'm thinking that because it's not phrased as "Which one of the following is a list of paralegals, any one of whom cannot be assigned to the Thompson case," it would be enough to circle the answer choice that matches just ONE of the possible worlds. Is my intuition correct?

Sorry, this is so much to read through, but it would mean so much to me if you could help me out with this, as I am really confused!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Hey!

So your intuition is correct. As soon as one of the "worlds" does not work, it is the correct answer. You do not need to go any deeper. On this type of question you will have 4 assignments that work and one that will not. As soon as you identify the one that violates a rule or an inference select it and move on!

• apatel0408apatel0408 Member
    13 karma

So this is kind of like an Except question, right? The correct answer choice would be a combo that would never work given the rules, so I would say that your selected answer choice would have to violate the rules, or an inference, and therefore it wouldn't work in ALL possible worlds. I would imagine that the answer choice would have to violate the rules or an inference to be correct. So my strategy would be to see if there are any relationships between the game pieces given in the answer choices and to see if any combinations are disallowed by the rules.

Finding one world in which the answer choice wouldn't be enough because there could be another world(s) in which the answer choice works out. If I get a chance I'll take a look at the game and update, but that's what I'm thinking based off your post.

• 12345678-212345678-2 Free Trial Member
    33 karma

Thank you for the replies! I had initially thought that it would suffice to just check one of the possible worlds, but I reviewed this game again, and I think my initial intuition was wrong. For example, in solving Question 22 of PT 69 G4 ("Which CANNOT be the complete assignment of paralegals to T"?), if I were to have only checked one of the worlds, then answer choice A for example should also be correct (but the correct answer is actually D). If I had checked just one of the possible worlds, I would have mistakenly concluded that G can't be the complete assignment of paralegals to the T case by looking at, for example, one of the scenarios where F is the only paralegal in the T case. And I would've chosen A and gotten this question wrong. It was only by checking ALL of the possible scenarios that I was able to conclude that G and L (answer choice D, which is the correct answer) can't happen in ANY of the scenarios.

Does this make sense :S

• 12345678-212345678-2 Free Trial Member
    33 karma

Same question for Q20 G4 PT 74: "Which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of all of the photographers who must be assigned?" Because the question stem doesn't have the words "any one of whom," I thought it would suffice to just check one of the scenarios, but JY's video makes it seem like we need to check all possible worlds. I'm so confused!! :(