Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If I KNOW I'm not going to get score I want in Sept., should I cancel for Dec.?

DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
edited September 2017 in General 298 karma

I started at a 155 diagnostic. Now regularly test low 160s. BR is usually upper 160s. I've been putting in 20-30 hours a week since May (in addition to a full-time job and business; I'm a non-traditional student). I started with another LSAT online prep course and did the majority of my training there, but discovered 7Sage when looking for video explanations of the logic games (thanks for those, by the way!). Now signed up here as of 2 weeks ago. I've gone through all the videos for LR and that's helped me move up those points into the low 160s. I know I am capable of more, and that I just need more time to practice and bring up my speed. I discovered 7Sage too late. I'm making steady progress now, but not fast enough for the test on Saturday :/

I feel that upper 160s is reachable for me for sure, even above 170. I'm aiming for higher ranked law schools, but at the very least want a high score for the $$ when considering lower-ranked school. My GPA (graduated 1994) is a 3.94.

So my question: If I know that I'm going to probably score in the low 160s, and that I could do better on the December test, should I even bother with the Sept. one? Will law schools care if there are scores of (say) 161 and 169? or would a single 169 be better?

Comments

• NicholasDayNicholasDay Alum Member
    86 karma

Unless you're looking at HYS, it shouldn't matter. Even then, they'll most likely be glad to just accept the higher score. I could only see it making a difference if you were in a dead even race for a final spot in the class and your only difference was two tests compared to their one. I'd say try your best on this week (you never know what can happen on test day!) and prepare to sit again in December. If your score is significantly higher the next go around, consider writing an addendum.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

I am in your position and I am taking it this Saturday. I don't know if there will be anything preventing me from taking the Dec exam or if something in life will happen so I need at least a semi good score bc I'm not in a position to skip a cycle. To me it seems that if you take it and show an increase each time it proves stamina/determination to succeed. I will be taking it a total of 3 times and plan on writing an addendum.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I feel you, but I don't think that it will much matter whether you have one or the other. I would say that, had you been more prepared with the 7sage materials that you should plan on taking the examine on Sat AND in December. That way, this test will be less stressful since you have another one in your backpocket--and the best case scenario is that you get a score you can live with and can forgo sitting again.

However, you said that you just discovered 7sage and have a bunch of room to improve and are already showing progress. That, along with the fact that you don't think that you might possibly hit the score you want come Sat, might together be enough to just wait.

In any case, I don't think that you should worry about a lower score looking bad on your apps if you get the score that you want in Dec. Just my two cents. Much luck!--A.c.S

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I vote wait. If you know you're not going to score at the number you want, why take it? I'm not sure if you'd have anything to gain

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I'm in an almost identical position! Very similar scoring wise, and non-traditional, working full time. I just made the call to cancel for Sept and register for Dec. I know I will do better in December, which means that I ultimately wouldn't want to apply until after that test anyway. So, realized that Sept really would just be sort of a waste. I don't think the extra score would hurt you much, but does it help? For me, I decided that I'd rather not subject myself to seeing a score that is less than what I can really do and just focus on being ready in December.

Good luck, either way!

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    298 karma

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm going to take a last practice test tomorrow (as planned) and then decide. I've reserved a study room at the library so I can take a test in better conditions to see what my score might be. I usually test sitting on my couch, book on the arm of the couch, dog scratching with his collar jangling, old cat wandering around yowling, and neighbor kids screaming outside haha.

708 karma

@tringo335 said:
    I vote wait. If you know you're not going to score at the number you want, why take it? I'm not sure if you'd have anything to gain

I really think it depends on what position you are in .. if you can't afford to skip a cycle and don't take it in Dec you would be f*****

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I'm sort of in a similar position. I cancelled a Dec 2016 score though so I have one on my 'record' though it's unscored. At this point I am just hoping to have a good (160+) score in my pocket as I anticipate that I will have to retake in Dec anyway. I don't want to be screwed in Dec. and have EVERYTHING be put on that one test.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Take the test when you are confident you can reach your potential. period. Take PT81 on Saturday in the library with the 7Sage proctor, that will be a good gauge of what you'd have scored.

You know you can hit the upper 160s, and honestly once many people hit the upper 160s they decide to change their goal to the 170s. Don't sell yourself short and have a score that doesn't represent good judgement or your potential on your record.

298 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Take the test when you are confident you can reach your potential. period. Take PT81 on Saturday in the library with the 7Sage proctor, that will be a good gauge of what you'd have scored.

You know you can hit the upper 160s, and honestly once many people hit the upper 160s they decide to change their goal to the 170s. Don't sell yourself short and have a score that doesn't represent good judgement or your potential on your record.

Thanks! I have 81 arriving tomorrow. I plan to take 80 next, and like the idea of using 81 on Saturday instead of going to the official test. That will give me a good benchmark for going forward. I do feel that I'm capable of a much better score with a little more time and practice.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

@kkrystyna said:

@tringo335 said:

I really think it depends on what position you are in .. if you can't afford to skip a cycle and don't take it in Dec you would be f*****

The guy graduated undergrad in 1994.. I can't think of any convincing arguments as to why he absolutely has to apply this cycle.

708 karma

@sakox010 said:

@kkrystyna said:

@tringo335 said:

The guy graduated undergrad in 1994.. I can't think of any convincing arguments as to why he absolutely has to apply this cycle.

Oh idk- Maybe he has a family? I could think of a million reasons. Plenty of people don't want to put their life on hold for a year.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@kkrystyna said:

@sakox010 said:

@kkrystyna said:

@tringo335 said:

Oh idk- Maybe he has a family? I could think of a million reasons. Plenty of people don't want to put their life on hold for a year.

He could also take in Feb and score in the 170s apply and still get in. I don't think he'd be totally screwed. But it is a valid point if one wanted to apply early.

708 karma

@tringo335 said:

@kkrystyna said:

@sakox010 said:

@kkrystyna said:

@tringo335 said:

He could also take in Feb and score in the 170s apply and still get in. I don't think he'd be totally screwed. But it is a valid point if one wanted to apply early.

That is def true but a lot of scholarship funding is gone by then.

298 karma

I'm a woman ;) I definitely want to apply this year, though I could wait if I had to. But I'm 48 and would rather not delay any more. I chose this year because the last of my kids will be off to college.

Also, I've been to law school before. Made it two years back in the 90s, took a year off to have a kid, and couldn't afford to go back. So I'm ready to do this long-delayed thing and not wait anymore (even if I could in theory). :)

333 karma

@kkrystyna said:

@sakox010 said:

@kkrystyna said:

@tringo335 said:

Again - I said convincing arguments. The guy also mentioned he feels he has the potential to get above a 170 and is aiming to attend one of the higher ranked law schools.

333 karma

@kkrystyna said:

@tringo335 said:

@kkrystyna said:

@sakox010 said:

@kkrystyna said:

@tringo335 said:

That is def true but a lot of scholarship funding is gone by then.

If scholarship funding is a concern then he shouldn't be putting himself in a position where he "can't afford to skip a cycle".

708 karma

@DawnHenry said:
    I'm a woman ;) I definitely want to apply this year, though I could wait if I had to. But I'm 48 and would rather not delay any more. I chose this year because the last of my kids will be off to college.

Also, I've been to law school before. Made it two years back in the 90s, took a year off to have a kid, and couldn't afford to go back. So I'm ready to do this long-delayed thing and not wait anymore (even if I could in theory). :)

It really depends on what you have going on and how badly you want to go starting next year. I know people think it's ok to delay and keep skipping but i'm sure you know that life goes by fast and the years keep on ticking. I know myself - I have been at this exam for 5 yrs

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

wait

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I say wait. I don't know about you but the time pressure of taking a test when I'm not testing at the level I want, stresses me out to a very bad point. I'm now fully on the side of "be testing where you want to be and THEN take the test". Good luck to you!

298 karma

I'm waiting. I know I can do better with a little more practice, so I'm just going to take it in Dec. This isn't my first LSAT, as I said, so while it's been awhile, I don't need to take it now for the experience or anything (that would be an upside of doing it now, in my mind).