Super Nervous about Sept LSAT - Performance Anxiety

mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member

Hey everyone! I'm scheduled to take the Sept. LSAT this Saturday and I am super nervous. I work full time and I plan to apply for the next Fall. I'm at a point right now where I just want a good score to have in my back pocket going into the Dec. LSAT since I probably won't score what I want (170+) this Saturday and I think I will retake in Dec.I don't plan on submitting apps earlier than Jan.

I already cancelled one score from Dec. 2016. Will it be bad if I have two scores and one cancellation? I do really well with BR (173+) but when timed, I score 158,159 etc.

Comments

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

Hey I also suffer from some serious anxiety so you are not alone. From what I have learned it is better to postpone until you are testing at least 3 points above your goal score consistently . The only way to feel very comfortable is constant repetition until you feel you absolutely comfortable to reduce anxiety. I attended a law school admissions seminar with individuals who work in admissions, and from what they said one cancelled score is understandable because life happens but anymore will raise some eyebrows. You may want to consider postponing until you are close to your goal score to be safe and look at taking it in December.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I really don't want to postpone to take this only in December. I'm put so much on this (Sept) test and in the past, I've kept postponing.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

If you are scoring 158-159 now, there's no way, short of a miracle, that you'll score a 170+ on Saturday. If you want a 170+ and truly believe that you can achieve that by December, I wouldn't risk putting a score of under 160 on my record. It can only hurt.

891 karma

I'm not hoping for a 170 on Saturday. I'm hoping for a 160+

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@ElleWoods77 said:
    Hey I also suffer from some serious anxiety so you are not alone. From what I have learned it is better to postpone until you are testing at least 3 points above your goal score consistently . The only way to feel very comfortable is constant repetition until you feel you absolutely comfortable to reduce anxiety. I attended a law school admissions seminar with individuals who work in admissions, and from what they said one cancelled score is understandable because life happens but anymore will raise some eyebrows. You may want to consider postponing until you are close to your goal score to be safe and look at taking it in December.

I thought schools don't see if you cancel?

edited September 2017 891 karma

@kkrystyna said:

@ElleWoods77 said:

Schools see that you cancelled, I believe. They just don't see the score (much like yourself)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@kkrystyna said:

They don't see your score if you cancel, but they do see that you've cancelled.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    I really don't want to postpone to take this only in December. I'm put so much on this (Sept) test and in the past, I've kept postponing.

I understand how frustrating it is to keep postponing. I suppose if you feel obligated to take the test then by all means do so, just know that if you cancel a second score that may hurt you a little when you apply.