[Test Center Review] Hilton Midtown - NYC

Summary: The proctor claimed this was the first time they were using the venue, to account for some shennanigans. The venue was pretty with ample waiting area, spacious desks, but terrible lighting. After we all sat down, we had to wait while they took lamps out of rooms or storage, and even then it was dimly lit. I say shennanigans because I know the Fall LSAC Forum in NYC is scheduled at the same venue, in the same room, as this test. Maybe they knew beforehand, maybe they didn't. But LSAC, you really should send your event planners on site visits; it's standard industry practice. Convenient subway access.

Setting pros: Chill vibe. Chill proctors. Bar downstairs. Bars outside. All the amenities of a hotel.

Setting cons: It was DARK. Like, we could have used flashlights or screened a film dark. They did get a lot of lamps going, but lightning was highly variable across the room. A couple people asked to be moved to an area with more or less lighting and were accommodated by the proctors.

Proctors: It seemed like everyone was let in. I even stood up at the wrong time by accident, and while I did get an eyeroll, nothing came of it.

Facilities: Dark. Spacious. Romantic?

What kind of room: It's the Mercury Ballroom and Rotunda -- you can look at the Hilton's website and see a picture of the room in the 3D conference/event space digital tour. The LSAC ticket listed this room, so it was easy to see a picture of the space beforehand.

How many in the room: I was in the Mercury Rotunda with about 30 people because I was at the back of the line. The Ballroom had at least 100.

Desks: Long desks. Not a smooth finish, but I bubbled on top of the test booklet itself and was fine. Not seated every-other chair -- people were very close to each other.

Noise levels: Quiet.

Time elapsed from arrival to test: Reporting time was 8:30. I arrived at 8, and about half of the test takers were already there. We started Section 1 at 10:10.

Other comments: They had water outside for us, so I should have brought a plastic bottle of coffee instead of water! Alas.

Would you take the test here again? Yes. Though I'd want to sit in a brighter area, I think.

Date of Exam: Sept 2017

Comments

• lktiemannlktiemann Free Trial Member
    14 karma

I didn't see this listed when I registered for the September test. How did you get this test center?

• alex.e92alex.e92 Alum Member
    239 karma

Also took here today, the ballroom did not have a lighting problem, sorry to hear that the rotunda did :(

• nicole.brooklynnicole.brooklyn Alum Member
    341 karma

It was listed after the June scores came out. It wasn't listed at first.

• lktiemannlktiemann Free Trial Member
    14 karma

Lucky duck. Hopefully they do the same for December then after the September results are released.