Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need help figuring out how to improve RC/space out material that I have left

Hey all,

So, like a lot of people it seems, I really struggled with the RC section of the Sept 2017 test and will almost certainly need to retake the test. However, since I already spent 5ish months studying and drilling for the September test, I only have 10-12 full PTs left. How do I space out these exams? How do I dill if I've already seen a lot of the questions before? Are there external sources that can help nail down RC?

Comments

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

I have heard the economist is good to read

• rwp19426rwp19426 Free Trial Member
    12 karma

I am right there with you - RC today really got me... I have never been good at reading comp but likely will be retaking in December and might as well try my best to improve. Also have very little material to work with in terms of timed sections / PTs. Any strategies / ideas muchhhh appreciated.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Hey, keep in mind that just bc you used a test does not mean its useless. Retaking material can be highly useful in identifying what you are doing wrong. For example, if you still get something wrong after a retake, you can be sure that your missing something

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Keep re-doing older passages from the 50s and 60s that you've presumably already done.

What issues are you having with RC? Is there a pattern to the questions you're missing?

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

Redo older tests till you are closer to December. Also, if you have a friend who is good in RC meet them for coffee. I had a friend on Thursday meet me for coffee and she would watch me do RC sections. She routinely stopped me and had me try different techniques. I figured out that if I read closely and I don't look back at the passage, I shave my time way down and my accuracy goes way up.

• LSAT Take 2LSAT Take 2 Member
    38 karma

@"Alex Divine" The only real pattern I can discern is that if I am familiar with the subject matter beforehand, I nail it, and if I have never heard of the subject matter it gets messy. It is to the point where I can read the first paragraph and predict how many answers I can correctly answer. I've mostly gotten away with it so far because I have a strong background in hard sciences. This is why I'm hesitant that just reviewing old tests will be sufficient, since I've seen the subject matter before.