Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official September 2017 LSAT Discussion Thread

Comments

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@Mindshadow @akistotle @maithilibag I also was an international test taker with 2 RC sections...really hoping the first one I had was the experimental because I didn't finish the last passage, which has never happened to me before, whereas the second RC section was easy/moderate to me. Does anyone remember a passage that had to do with sandstorms and layers of rock?

• maithilibagmaithilibag Member
    31 karma

@LindsMitch said:
    @Mindshadow @akistotle @maithilibag I also was an international test taker with 2 RC sections...really hoping the first one I had was the experimental because I didn't finish the last passage, which has never happened to me before, whereas the second RC section was easy/moderate to me. Does anyone remember a passage that had to do with sandstorms and layers of rock?

Hii, according to TLS the RC about African textiles was the real deal.

I don't think I got an experimental passage about sandstorms. I got one about the banking industry & astrophysics, and those were killer.

589 karma

@Hannah56 said:

@reflectionx said:
    There was an RC experimental passage about abstract thinking and primitive art. There was also an experimental passage on immunity to lawsuits. I have no memory of any passage mentioning the pyramids or the louvre or astronomy--are there multiple experimental versions?

I had 2 RC sections and I remember the tribal immunity, WW1 activist, & the abstract art but I took the test overseas. Does that mean it was the expermental???? I hope so coz the other one was pretty easy.

Do either of you remember a passage on sandstone and layers of rock and maybe fossils? I took the international test too and remember the immunity to lawsuits, primitive art, and also a section about public funding for the arts.

• davidjamessutton1davidjamessutton1 Free Trial Member
    49 karma

So my last 12 PTs were within the last 6 weeks and every one of them was 166-169. I had RC LR LG RC LR The test was hard enough for me to be questioning my performance but I'm hoping that's just a little shaken confidence and not an indicator of what's to come in 3-4 weeks!! It was my first real one (and hopefully my only one). The experimental RC was the second round of RC for me and easily the hardest part of the test. I finished both LR sections right before the 5 minute warning, went back to check answers and felt great about both sections. On the food/QG rule LG game, I started diagramming and saw that I was missing something. I skipped it, came back to it and immediately saw my mistake (didn't realize how restrictive the QG rule was). Made 4 diagrams, I think, and easily answered the questions. I worked at a slightly slower than optimal pace for the real RC. I believe this was due to the fact that it was the first section of my test so I wasn't warmed up yet. I got to the last section right before the 5 minute warning and had to make educated guesses on the last two questions. I had time to eliminate a couple answers for each question but I wasn't not happy with myself for that. 170 is my standard so trying to stay positive over here! And let the drinking begin...I woke up 2 hours before my alarm today (rarely happens) and drank a beer lol #TeamHomestead

589 karma

@maithilibag Gosh I can't even barely remember anymore what I had or what passages were in what section, I think I vaguely remember African textiles? If I could get so lucky that the sandstorm/fossil dating passage was experimental, that would be a dream. It was my first section and it kind of messed with my head to not be able to finish.

• lsattaker1234lsattaker1234 Free Trial Member
    14 karma

Hi everyone. I had LG-LR-LG--RC-LR. The only thing I remember from the second LG (third section overall) was that the first game had an east/west component. I have seen some sites claim that this was the real test, but I have looked through all the forums and the sources for this claim are not apparent. Can anyone who did not have two LG sections confirm that they DID see a game with an East/West component? Thanks!

• MikeLpz21MikeLpz21 Member
    39 karma

@lsattaker1234 said:
    Hi everyone. I had LG-LR-LG--RC-LR. The only thing I remember from the second LG (third section overall) was that the first game had an east/west component. I have seen some sites claim that this was the real test, but I have looked through all the forums and the sources for this claim are not apparent. Can anyone who did not have two LG sections confirm that they DID see a game with an East/West component? Thanks!

The east / west was the real one. I only had 1 LG section.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@rene4231 said:
    ANYONE WITHOUT 3 LR SECTIONS: Do you recall a question about school implementing new rules to curve drinking on campus?

Please if anyone can answer this so I might be able to sleep tonight!!

@Summer17 said:

Really hoping the first section of LR was the experimental because I found it much harder than the other two, not entirely sure but I think the first section began with a question about drinking on campus. Can anyone confirm if this was the experimental section?

Can anyone confirm this, if the question about reducing drinking on campus was real or experm?

I had only 2 LRs. And I definitely had a school drinking question

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@mm2373 said:
    Does anyone remember the repressors and sensitizers question on LR? I had 3 LR sections and am having a hard time figuring out which one was experimental. Anyone who had LG/RC experimental able to confirm whether they had this question?

Don't remember that question, think it was experimental

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2017 13286 karma

Ignore

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited September 2017 4196 karma

what even is candor ugh

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

r we gray yet

• AnacharsisAnacharsis Free Trial Member
    3 karma

@LindsMitch said:

Do either of you remember a passage on sandstone and layers of rock and maybe fossils? I took the international test too and remember the immunity to lawsuits, primitive art, and also a section about public funding for the arts.

Hi, first time poster here. Seems like there are at least 2 international tests for different time zones… I took the EU/Africa test and I also had 2 RC sections. The real one includes sandslides and fossils, indigenous heirloom crops and an AB passages on public funding for arts. My experimental section was about Brittain the pacifist activist, immunity for native tribes and an AB passage on quantum field theory. I also found the real section way more difficult…
    Did you have LG about pet owners in an apartment, and Wed/Fri morning/afternoon sessions?

14 karma

Which LG section/game involved quarries? I am trying to piece this together.

• maithilibagmaithilibag Member
    31 karma

@LindsMitch said:
    @maithilibag Gosh I can't even barely remember anymore what I had or what passages were in what section, I think I vaguely remember African textiles? If I could get so lucky that the sandstorm/fossil dating passage was experimental, that would be a dream. It was my first section and it kind of messed with my head to not be able to finish.

I can't make any promises but I know for sure I had nothing on sandstorms, so I think you're probably in the clear :)

edited September 2017 13286 karma

Ignore

• ebloveeblove Member
    5 karma

@jcylin93 said:
    Had LR-LG-LR-LR-RC. Any idea what the question distribution for LR was? Remember it being 25-26-26 for some reason.

Dude same here. I had the same question distribution for LR. Thought I might have made a transcription error hopefully we got a different experimental.

• americandreameramericandreamer Free Trial Member
    edited September 2017 21 karma

@bsemb001 said:
    Upon seeing that the experimental LG was the one with foresters. I am officially distraught. I'm pretty sure I only got -2 or maybe -3 on the experimental section. The other LG I struggled with hard. Enough that I guessed in the final two questions in the last game without even reading it. :(

There's always DECEMBER!

I feel you. I normally don't have extra time after finishing an LG section but for the experimental I actually did. It was somehow a lot easier. The (unfortunately) real LG game just didn't click.
    1) East/West
    2) Food specials (darn you, Quesadillas! As if I wasn't already hungry right before break)
    3) FGHI/QRS
    4) Machiavellian/Shakespeare's villains

Which one did you struggle with?

• Hannah56Hannah56 Alum Member
    224 karma

@LindsMitch said:

@Hannah56 said:

@reflectionx said:
    There was an RC experimental passage about abstract thinking and primitive art. There was also an experimental passage on immunity to lawsuits. I have no memory of any passage mentioning the pyramids or the louvre or astronomy--are there multiple experimental versions?

I had 2 RC sections and I remember the tribal immunity, WW1 activist, & the abstract art but I took the test overseas. Does that mean it was the expermental???? I hope so coz the other one was pretty easy.

YESS! The one with the sandstorms, native-american plantation methods, and the bankruptcy law are the real one according to powerscore. For me this was the first section

14 karma

@americandreamer said:

@bsemb001 said:
    Upon seeing that the experimental LG was the one with foresters. I am officially distraught. I'm pretty sure I only got -2 or maybe -3 on the experimental section. The other LG I struggled with hard. Enough that I guessed in the final two questions in the last game without even reading it. :(

There's always DECEMBER!

I feel you. I normally don't have extra time after finishing an LG section but for the experimental I actually did. It was somehow a lot easier. The (unfortunately) real LG game just didn't click.
    1) East/West
    2) Food specials (darn you, Quesadillas! As if I wasn't already hungry right before break)
    3) FGHI

Do you remember a game with quarries? Which one was that and which section?

• EL2013LSATEL2013LSAT Free Trial Member
    10 karma

@JSigerson221 said:
    Was the lemur question in the same LR section as the drinking on campus question??

I have the same question! Anybody know?

• EL2013LSATEL2013LSAT Free Trial Member
    10 karma

@Socrat3s said:
    I had a question about collecting data and then correcting the data and how that connects to some random scientist's theory. It made no sense at all but overall the section it was in was easy (I had LR LG LR LR RC). I think the LR section talking about Shakespeare learning from Latin translation of an ancient Greek play was the toughest for me...does anyone remember a question like that?

I remember the data collection/correction well. Do you remember which LR section it was in? I also had the same sections as you/same order. Struggling to figure out which of my LRs was experimental as I can't recall which questions were in which section! Is this data collection/correction real? And which LR section was it in for those who had 3 LRs?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@eblove said:

@jcylin93 said:
    Had LR-LG-LR-LR-RC. Any idea what the question distribution for LR was? Remember it being 25-26-26 for some reason.

Dude same here. I had the same question distribution for LR. Thought I might have made a transcription error hopefully we got a different experimental.

Mine was a RC, LR, LG, RC, LR.
    I'm pretty sure the distribution was 27, 25, 23, 27, 26.

One of those RC 27's isn't part of the test. So the real sections are LR 25, LR, 26, LG 23, and RC 27 for a total of 101.

One of your 26's is experimental if I'm remembering right.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited September 2017 4423 karma

@Socrat3s said:
    I had a question about collecting data and then correcting the data and how that connects to some random scientist's theory. It made no sense at all but overall the section it was in was easy (I had LR LG LR LR RC). I think the LR section talking about Shakespeare learning from Latin translation of an ancient Greek play was the toughest for me...does anyone remember a question like that?

Yeah I had that question and I did not have an experimental LR.
    RC, LR, LG, RC, LR

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    edited September 2017 330 karma

• trueblueyalietrueblueyalie Free Trial Member
    19 karma

Hi! Does anyone who had 2 LR remember a question asking about watching TV vs. being informed?

• caseclosed96caseclosed96 Free Trial Member
    11 karma

Does anyone know if the LR question about scientific curiosity vs. trying to gain scientific knowledge was real or experimental?

• Socrat3sSocrat3s Alum Member
    92 karma

@davidjamessutton1 said:
    So my last 12 PTs were within the last 6 weeks and every one of them was 166-169. I had RC LR LG RC LR The test was hard enough for me to be questioning my performance but I'm hoping that's just a little shaken confidence and not an indicator of what's to come in 3-4 weeks!! It was my first real one (and hopefully my only one). The experimental RC was the second round of RC for me and easily the hardest part of the test. I finished both LR sections right before the 5 minute warning, went back to check answers and felt great about both sections. On the food/QG rule LG game, I started diagramming and saw that I was missing something. I skipped it, came back to it and immediately saw my mistake (didn't realize how restrictive the QG rule was). Made 4 diagrams, I think, and easily answered the questions. I worked at a slightly slower than optimal pace for the real RC. I believe this was due to the fact that it was the first section of my test so I wasn't warmed up yet. I got to the last section right before the 5 minute warning and had to make educated guesses on the last two questions. I had time to eliminate a couple answers for each question but I wasn't not happy with myself for that. 170 is my standard so trying to stay positive over here! And let the drinking begin...I woke up 2 hours before my alarm today (rarely happens) and drank a beer lol #TeamHomestead

Congrats on the LRs. I finished the first one at the 5min warning and had time to try to figure out the data collection question but I don't think 35 entire min on that question alone would have helped me. I barely finished the Latin Shakespeare section on time and felt very unconfident on several answers toward the middle/end of the section. Were you equally confident on both sections? I'm frustrated because my last 3 PTs were 174, 169 and 170 in that order, and I was BR-ing the last one Friday night. My goal was above 170 but I can easily imagine missing 10 or more questions...ugh

• Socrat3sSocrat3s Alum Member
    92 karma

@Elana2013 said:

@Socrat3s said:

I remember the data collection/correction well. Do you remember which LR section it was in? I also had the same sections as you/same order. Struggling to figure out which of my LRs was experimental as I can't recall which questions were in which section! Is this data collection/correction real? And which LR section was it in for those who had 3 LRs?

I think it was my first section, but I don't think the orders are the same for everyone

589 karma

@hannah56 @wtzhai Yes that was my test too then! Dang was hoping the sandslide/fossil one was experimental. Feel like I did a lot better on the RC with Brittain and quantum field theory.

13286 karma

Okay guys...we need to stop talking about the logic game. People are getting too specific and it's against the LSAC rules. We need to be careful.

• FriendlyPhrogFriendlyPhrog Alum Member
    30 karma

Does anyone recall a LR question about cattle in Africa and water sources? Was this experimental or not? I think it was from my second LR section.

• tranduc_1991tranduc_1991 Free Trial Member
    11 karma

@americandreamer said:

@bsemb001 said:

There's always DECEMBER!

@lsattaker1234

1) East/West
    3) FGHI/QRS

To be honest, I do not know if we should trust the people who say that the real LG game is the one with East/West.

My LSAT section order was LG- LR- LG- RC- LG
    This is my logic: the RC comparative passage is a lot harder than normal, so the real LG should not be much harder than normal as LSAC wants to equate the difficulty of each LSAT test to previous ones. The two LRs are quite standard. But I struggled a lot with the third LG section (which has East/West and is claimed to be the real one) and ended up leaving many questions blank or did random guess.

The other LG, which was the first section, was much more doable. Not easy, because I might not get it all correct. But this first LG section was just as standard as most LG sections in previous tests.

Hence, I do not know if we should trust the people who says the real non-experimental LG is the harder LG. I heard from certain forums that most people with only one LG think the LG is easy. It is quite reasonable to think that the LG section they has is the LG section with violin/guitar. If they encountered the only LG section with East/West in their test, I don't think they are able to say that it is easy.

Maybe those who are trying to claim that the real LG section is the LG with East/West (the harder LG section) are hoping to make us feel completely disappointed and want to cancel the score.

• NorthernAtticusNorthernAtticus Alum Member
    79 karma

@tranduc_1991

I only had one LG section, and it was East/West, menu specials, interrogators, and student presentations.

11 karma

@"alaric.taves" said:
    @tranduc_1991

I only had one LG section, and it was East/West, menu specials, interrogators, and student presentations.

Thanks. Did you find it to be hard, or standard?

edited September 2017 79 karma

@tranduc_1991 said:

@"alaric.taves" said:
    @tranduc_1991

It was far and away the easiest LG section I've come across, to the point that I'm concerned I did something wrong. People seem to be split 50/50 between agreeing with me and thinking it was quite difficult, so this is all very strange. It's definitely the real one either way, though.

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited September 2017 2301 karma

Yes, the real LG section is the one with East/West. I also only had 1 LG.

I felt that it was easy, but a little bit trickier than June's LG. It had more variety than June's LG. In June, a lot of the games were very similar. One of the ways that the LSAT adds difficulty is by changing things up with various games or question types in a section. I think that is what they were trying to do in this LG section.

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" said:

I felt that it was easy, but a little bit trickier than June's LG. It had more variety than June's LG. In June, a lot of the games were very similar. One of the ways that the LSAT adds difficulty is by changing things up with various games or question types in a section. I think that is what they were trying to do in this LG section.

Was June the test with all sequencing games? I wasn't able to get PT 81 in time for yesterday.

And while there was definitely some variety in game types, I felt that they picked literally the easiest possible games for each category. The menu ordering game in particular was the simplest sequencing game I've ever seen - it seems to me that the people who had trouble with it misinterpreted one of the rules.

11 karma

@"alaric.taves" said:

@tranduc_1991 said:

@"alaric.taves" said:
    @tranduc_1991

It was far and away the easiest LG section I've come across, to the point that I'm concerned I did something wrong. People seem to be split 50/50 between agreeing with me and thinking it was quite difficult, so this is all very strange. It's definitely the real one either way, though.

Well I struggled hard with it even though I am pretty good at LG. The other LG section was definitely easier and more likely to match your description. Probably now LSAC is the only one to tell which section is the experimental one

2301 karma

@"alaric.taves" Yes, it allowed the test taker to get into a rhythm.

2301 karma

Yeah, the situation with LG is a little odd. I was certain that it went perfectly until I started looking on the forums, which had me second guess myself. It is best not to worry. There is nothing we can do now. We worked hard and gave it our best!

Yeah, the situation with LG is a little odd. I was certain that it went perfectly until I started looking on the forums, which had me second guess myself. It is best not to worry. There is nothing we can do now. We worked hard and gave it our best!

Reading these forums last night and this morning has made me super paranoid that the 'twist' for this section wasn't a game, but LSAC including answers for each question that seemed to work if a rule was misinterpreted at the beginning. Normally you'd catch this after the first couple questions when you realize there was no 'right' answer or two 'right' answers, but not on this one. It just felt -so- easy and open-ended.

Don't give my conspiracies too much credit, of course, this would be cruel even for LSAC.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@"alaric.taves" said:

Was June the test with all sequencing games? I wasn't able to get PT 81 in time for yesterday.

No, the fourth game was a grouping game.

@tranduc_1991 said:
    Well I struggled hard with it even though I am pretty good at LG. The other LG section was definitely easier and more likely to match your description. Probably now LSAC is the only one to tell which section is the experimental one

I'm not questioning you but is there no way that you've mixed up the superficial content (theatres, menu items blah blah) of one section with the actual games of the other? The wildly different experiences with this section are absolutely fascinating to me.

I really do think that this section must be the real one, though, because otherwise I wouldn't have had a real LG section!

• mdiberarmdiberar Free Trial Member
    edited September 2017 14 karma

I found the judicial RC passage difficult. Anyone else as mediocre at the LSAT as me? Anyone else living in mediocrity? Please validate me.

@mdiberar said:
    I found the judicial candor RC passage difficult. Anyone else as mediocre at the LSAT as me? Anyone else living in mediocrity? Please validate me.

The consensus is that that was a particularly hard passage. Normally RC is one of my strongest sections, but the judges put me in my place.

11 karma

@"alaric.taves" said:

@tranduc_1991 said:

I'm not questioning you but is there no way that you've mixed up the superficial content (theatres, menu items blah blah) of one section with the actual games of the other? The wildly different experiences with this section are absolutely fascinating to me.

I really do think that this section must be the real one, though, because otherwise I wouldn't have had a real LG section!

Well we are the only few people who come to this forum and talk about our experience. If you were right, then your LG section was right. I am not questioning your memory, but I have some reservation about the easiness of the LG section you experienced. I remembered that it was not easy at all, unless you are trying to make it sound that way.

In some other forums some people claim that the easy LG section I had was so difficult for them. Since the LSAT is a standardized test, it could not be that odd in terms of how people feel about certain sections. Maybe the LSAT flip flop things, but I think we can temporarily stop our discussion here and wait for the score!

• Summer17Summer17 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 125 karma

@tranduc_1991 said:

@americandreamer said:

@bsemb001 said:

There's always DECEMBER!

@lsattaker1234

1) East/West
    3) FGHI/QRS

To be honest, I do not know if we should trust the people who say that the real LG game is the one with East/West.

My LSAT section order was LG- LR- LG- RC- LG
    This is my logic: the RC comparative passage is a lot harder than normal, so the real LG should not be much harder than normal as LSAC wants to equate the difficulty of each LSAT test to previous ones. The two LRs are quite standard. But I struggled a lot with the third LG section (which has East/West and is claimed to be the real one) and ended up leaving many questions blank or did random guess.

The other LG, which was the first section, was much more doable. Not easy, because I might not get it all correct. But this first LG section was just as standard as most LG sections in previous tests.

Hence, I do not know if we should trust the people who says the real non-experimental LG is the harder LG. I heard from certain forums that most people with only one LG think the LG is easy. It is quite reasonable to think that the LG section they has is the LG section with violin/guitar. If they encountered the only LG section with East/West in their test, I don't think they are able to say that it is easy.

Maybe those who are trying to claim that the real LG section is the LG with East/West (the harder LG section) are hoping to make us feel completely disappointed and want to cancel the score.

Nah dude, the real LG is the one with the East/West and QG rule 100%.

14 karma

@"alaric.taves" said:

@tranduc_1991 said:

@"alaric.taves" said:
    @tranduc_1991

I actually thought that the second LG (third section) was easier. Also, do you agree with the general consensus that there was a Shakespeare/Machiavelli game four in the real section -- the only LG section you had? I would be interested to hear from @Summer17 on this as well.

• davidjamessutton1davidjamessutton1 Free Trial Member
    49 karma

So many people have already said they had one LG section and it contained Theatre/Menu Items/Interviews/Student projects and you can include me in that group. I thought it was easy. The only trouble I had was with the Menu Items. I did a game board, looked at the questions and immediately knew I wasn't seeing something. I skipped it, finished the section and came back to it. I saw my mistake right away, made 3 or 4 game boards and easily answered the questions.