Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post LSAT... Now what?

Now that I've completed the LSAT... what do I do?

I get that I should start working on my applications and PS/LORs. I'm just completely unmotivated in all honesty. Even though I really want a good portion to be done before the score comes out incase I need to retake. Has anyone else had the post LSAT slump to try to shuffle through? Particularly with the needing to get on top of your applications?

Comments

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

This is my current struggle! Honestly I'm taking a week or two off then I'll do work with my apps.

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma
    891 karma

Yes! On my way to my first happy hour in months rn!

776 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    This is my current struggle! Honestly I'm taking a week or two off then I'll do work with my apps.

It's literally like a total slump.

776 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    Yes! On my way to my first happy hour in months rn!

Have a drink for me! I'm stuck in a public administration class till 8:30

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Don't do what I'm doing. I'm obsessing and it's rather unhealthy feeling....

776 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    Don't do what I'm doing. I'm obsessing and it's rather unhealthy feeling....

Rise above, join the drunk cohorts with me!

13286 karma

Haha this might annoy some people but....I don't drink!

776 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

I didn't drink till I turned 21 for a variety of reasons (thank you alcoholic father!) so instead I will instruct you to join the zombie cohort. Sleep till you physically cannot sleep any more and then Netflix an entire series in two days.

If you feel like drinking... I can help :smiley:

13286 karma

@Victoria14 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

I didn't drink till I turned 21 for a variety of reasons (thank you alcoholic father!) so instead I will instruct you to join the zombie cohort. Sleep till you physically cannot sleep any more and then Netflix an entire series in two days.

Haha I work full time! I can't sleep much and it's torture. And I drank a lot when I was a Marine...I drank too much when I was a Marine. So I recently quit smoking and drinking (6ish months) and plan on keeping it up

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    edited September 2017 708 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@Victoria14 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Haha I work full time! I can't sleep much and it's torture. And I drank a lot when I was a Marine...I drank too much when I was a Marine. So I recently quit smoking and drinking (6ish months) and plan on keeping it up

Congrats! I quit smoking 2y ago when I found out I was pregnant and only drink occasionally. It's different when you are young and in undergrad lol.

• elle_satelle_sat Alum Member
    98 karma

Round 2 in December?! :P

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    edited September 2017 861 karma

You're not alone! I felt horrible after my test and became unmotivated (I'm retaking in December). So I wanted to distract myself. After the test, I met up with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. I ate out with my parents. I watched a movie. I was going to give myself a few more days off, but then I found out I'll be traveling a lot in November (work and personal). Needless to say that was my "oh shit...time to start back up" moment.

If you haven't taken a couple of days off from apps/PS/studying/etc., I highly suggest it. Or just do a little each day until you build your momentum back up.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

I'm planning on solidifying my resume and starting to send my transcripts into LSAC. I think I'll get back to studying sometime next week by starting off gradually and building from there.

• rene4231rene4231 Alum Member
    162 karma

Trust me, I feel like most of us are in a slump! I went ahead and filled out the actual "application" portion for the schools I plan to apply on LSAC, it's very mundane and repetitive. Technically your resume and PS are attachments so you can add those in at a later time!

I know 7sage is offering two PS workshops soon, that may help trigger your motivation. However, I recommend not forcing it. Eventually, you'll have a day that you're in the mood to write/work and that will result in much greater quality work than if you force yourself to do it right now.

Honestly, we've all put our needs/wants on the back burner for the past few months so go out and have fun! I just went to the movies and bars for the first time since March! It helps dwindle my anxiety towards score releases and overall I'm MUCH happier than I was at this point last week.

13286 karma

@sillllyxo said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@Victoria14 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Congrats! I quit smoking 2y ago when I found out I was pregnant and only drink occasionally. It's different when you are young and in undergrad lol.

Haha thank you! I am pretty old though and not in undergrad :p

891 karma

@Victoria14 I had two last night and felt so tipsy after not having alcohol for so long! Whoops! Glad I'm not hungover today. Also going to the spa this weekend to treat myself (dragging the BF with me for his first professional massage! haha). It really is a huge slump. A break to treat yourself and indulge your time is important before diving into the process again. You don't want to burn out, whether or not you're taking it in December again or just starting the applications!! :)

776 karma

@elle_sat said:
    Round 2 in December?! :P

Haha I really hope not! I’m gonna openly sob for awhile if that’s the case

776 karma

@xtinextine said:
    You're not alone! I felt horrible after my test and became unmotivated (I'm retaking in December). So I wanted to distract myself. After the test, I met up with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. I ate out with my parents. I watched a movie. I was going to give myself a few more days off, but then I found out I'll be traveling a lot in November (work and personal). Needless to say that was my "oh shit...time to start back up" moment.

If you haven't taken a couple of days off from apps/PS/studying/etc., I highly suggest it. Or just do a little each day until you build your momentum back up.

First off, I hope you kick December’s butt! You got this!

Well, I’ve been struck with the flu so I think fate has decided I’m gonna be taking a hiatus lol

776 karma

@jackigoe said:
    I'm planning on solidifying my resume and starting to send my transcripts into LSAC. I think I'll get back to studying sometime next week by starting off gradually and building from there.

Lsac scares the death out of me but I guess I need to get over that lol! Good luck in your studying!

776 karma

@rene4231 said:
    Trust me, I feel like most of us are in a slump! I went ahead and filled out the actual "application" portion for the schools I plan to apply on LSAC, it's very mundane and repetitive. Technically your resume and PS are attachments so you can add those in at a later time!

I know 7sage is offering two PS workshops soon, that may help trigger your motivation. However, I recommend not forcing it. Eventually, you'll have a day that you're in the mood to write/work and that will result in much greater quality work than if you force yourself to do it right now.

Honestly, we've all put our needs/wants on the back burner for the past few months so go out and have fun! I just went to the movies and bars for the first time since March! It helps dwindle my anxiety towards score releases and overall I'm MUCH happier than I was at this point last week.

I actually don’t have my PS written what so ever so I didn’t know if I could join.

I’ve come down with a flu, so me and Netflix are basically in a relationship right now. Particularly because my professor kicked me out of class because I was, “going to infect the masses”.

• rene4231rene4231 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 162 karma

@Victoria14 UGH, I am so sorry, the flu is the worst. Tequila is supposed to help apparently? Not my drink of choice but two birds, one stone! Walmart has really awesome halloween fleece PJ pants for $10 (I opted for the Peanuts design), stay cozy and hope you feel better soon!

• shanedridershanedrider Alum Member
    156 karma

Luckily for me, some schools are sending emails about application fee waivers.

Unluckily (is that a word?), some expire on October 1 so I have to crank out some applications quickly. This is definitely keeping me motivated post-LSAT.

See if you've got any of those emails, the savings certainly add up quickly.

891 karma

FWIW I don't have a PS written at all but I may plan on attending the workshop - I think it will help the creative juices and at least offer me a good starting point.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@Victoria14
    I know the causal link seems pretty flimsy, but I believe the LSAT may actually have curative or immune system boosting powers.

You see when I slowed my LSAT studying the week before the test to stay fresh I promptly became sick with a flu like disease which featured a sore throat, sneezing, coughing, and vomitting. However, my cough petered out mere hours after the LSAT was over, as though the LSAT had given me the boost I needed.

Now I find out that when you ceased studying after the LSAT, the flu easilly infected you. I understand that you may want nothing to do with the LSAT right now, but if that flu gets bad enough, you may owe it to your body, your health, and the health of your friends to pick up the old LSAT books and retake a PT on the off chance that it will vanquish the disease.

Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

• brookealyssabrookealyssa Member
    edited September 2017 10 karma

@Victoria14 I'm going through the same thing. I find it's easiest to tackle the "easy" parts of the applications first. Maybe make a list of schools you're applying to without a doubt (if your score ends up being where you'd like it to be). September 16th was my second time taking the LSAT so I am crossing my fingers that it is my last. Since then, I've contacted my university to get my transcripts sent in (fairly simple), and opened all the apps on my LSAC account. I also made documents on my laptop for all the supplements and such, just so I have an idea of how much writing/rewriting I will have to do between now and Nov/Dec. I have a draft of my PS and résumé, but I don't think you NEED one right now. My pre-law advisor suggested I have a draft for her on Oct. 16th... I would suggest though that you maybe make a list of topics you want to include in your PS/supplements, or at least when something comes into your head, write it down so you don't forget it. I think the workshop with 7sage will be more of an overview than anything; more of a source of guidance as we get closer to application submissions. Overall, I would suggest to knock off the easiest parts of the process first. That way, when you go to write and such, you won't be overwhelmed with the silly nuances and fees (like the CAS) that need to be paid/tended to. Everything you get sent in to LSAC will stay there (at least through application season) so it will all be in your best interest.

Best of luck with these next few weeks. We'll get to October 12th eventually!

-Brooke

708 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    @Victoria14
    I know the causal link seems pretty flimsy, but I believe the LSAT may actually have curative or immune system boosting powers.

You see when I slowed my LSAT studying the week before the test to stay fresh I promptly became sick with a flu like disease which featured a sore throat, sneezing, coughing, and vomitting. However, my cough petered out mere hours after the LSAT was over, as though the LSAT had given me the boost I needed.

Now I find out that when you ceased studying after the LSAT, the flu easilly infected you. I understand that you may want nothing to do with the LSAT right now, but if that flu gets bad enough, you may owe it to your body, your health, and the health of your friends to pick up the old LSAT books and retake a PT on the off chance that it will vanquish the disease.

Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

LMAO this happened to me!! I got sick the day after the LSAT I haven't been sick in 6months.

• janesp34janesp34 Member
    38 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@Victoria14 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

6months clean! I plan to completely remove liquor out of my life...but first I'd like to finish the wine sitting in my kitchen :wink: But honestly its more for physical and mental health!

@Victoria14 said:

I get that I should start working on my applications and PS/LORs. I'm just completely unmotivated in all honesty. Even though I really want a good portion to be done before the score comes out incase I need to retake. Has anyone else had the post LSAT slump to try to shuffle through? Particularly with the needing to get on top of your applications?

Honestly, since the day of the LSAT i have tried time and time again to pick up my book and study because I feel like i got a 120 :( ugh! But i end up shopping online. Looking at my LSAT book makes me depressed and anxious. My motivator is reading Amal Clooney's bio though... anyone? LOL
    I am going to relax this week and try again next week with LSAT studies! Wish me luck :)

708 karma

@janesp34 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@Victoria14 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

6months clean! I plan to completely remove liquor out of my life...but first I'd like to finish the wine sitting in my kitchen :wink: But honestly its more for physical and mental health!

@Victoria14 said:

Honestly, since the day of the LSAT i have tried time and time again to pick up my book and study because I feel like i got a 120 :( ugh! But i end up shopping online. Looking at my LSAT book makes me depressed and anxious. My motivator is reading Amal Clooney's bio though... anyone? LOL
    I am going to relax this week and try again next week with LSAT studies! Wish me luck :)

I started again today you just have to do it like diving into a pool lol. seriously.

708 karma

@janesp34 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@Victoria14 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@Victoria14 said:

totally guilty of shopping on amazon last night tho

• StrangerThanFiction175StrangerThanFiction175 Free Trial Member
    99 karma

@shanedrider said:
    Luckily for me, some schools are sending emails about application fee waivers.

Unluckily (is that a word?), some expire on October 1 so I have to crank out some applications quickly. This is definitely keeping me motivated post-LSAT.

See if you've got any of those emails, the savings certainly add up quickly.

Wait, fee waivers expire? What kind of shenanigans is that?

• shanedridershanedrider Alum Member
    156 karma

@zmeeker91 Haha I have no idea - maybe it's just Oklahoma shenanigans. But $50 is $50 and it's a safety school of mine so it's more of a set-and-forget application. Plus, I have nothing else going on!

It's the only one I've seen that expires though. Certainly a bit curious.

• StrangerThanFiction175StrangerThanFiction175 Free Trial Member
    99 karma

Definitely feeling a lack of motivation to do anything that isn't related to my applications. Coasting really hard at the office this week. Otherwise, I've spent 8ish hours this week updating my resume and once I get it done I need to get my LORs on lock so I can get to writing my essays. I'm applying to some early decision programs so I need to be ready to go by November 1st. Plus ski season starts November 15th, and I want to have the rest of my applications done by then!