Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC GPA

jack.igoejack.igoe Member
in General 544 karma

Hey Everyone,

Apologizes if this has already been discussed somewhere but I had a quick question regarding sending transcripts into LSAC. I was wondering when I should send my transcripts to LSAC. If I send them now, will they not factor in the fall semester grades? Is it recommended that I wait until I have those grades in?

Also, on a related note, I was thinking about retaking a class in the winter in order to get a better grade. Just as some background, my high school offered duel enrollment classes and little did I know then that they would count towards my GPA in college. Long story short, I got a B+ in some mandatory health class and it's bringing my GPA down from a 4.0 to a 3.92. Do you think it's worth trying to retake over the winter term?

Thanks a ton!

Comments

• nicholasthomas127nicholasthomas127 Alum Member
    458 karma

In regards to your LSAC GPA, retaking a class does not replace the grade with the new one, they are both factored in. So it will only improve your LSAC GPA marginally.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

You can go ahead and send in your transcripts now and then send in an updated transcript once your fall grades are released. LSAC will prepare a new updated report and resend it to the schools that you have applied to (assuming you applied before your updated grades were in).

As for retaking the class, do what feels right but to me that does not seem worthwhile. Your GPA is still really solid in my opinion (and in the opinion of the T14 if we are considering admission stats). Like @nicholasthomas127 said, I don't think it is going to cancel out the B+, but just add another A to what I assume is around 90+ credits of undergrad work...so maybe you'd inch up to a 3.93?

I don't know what kind of LSAT score you're working with if you've already taken it or what you're hoping for, but with a great LSAT score and a 3.9+ GPA, you have a great shot anywhere really.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

Thank you both! @nicholasthomas127 and @LindsMitch
    I would have never known about that policy!

• flashgrayflashgray Alum Member
    14 karma

i am waiting until the end of the fall semester.

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

3.93, I am sure you know, is a very high GPA . Unless you think your LSAT is below the medians or 25th percentile of the schools you want to get into, I am not sure that the trade-off of time, money and anguish of taking another class is worth a GPA bum of .01. I would recommend using 7Sage's LSAC GPA calculator ( https://7sage.com/gpa-calculator/ ). Input all your grades up to this point, and see what it is. Then add however many units the course is that you are considering re-taking, and ascribe an "A" value (or an A+ if that is possible at your school) and see what the change in GPA is. If you are nearing completion of undergraduate work, I am assuming you probably have nearly 100 units or more at this juncture; as such it is hard to move one's GPA, especially if it is already really high like yours is.

By the way, I have found the calculations through 7Sage's calculator to be very accurate; at worst there is a +/- deviation of .01. Most of the time it is dead on.