Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 25-26 "old" for law school?

sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
edited September 2017 in General 708 karma

Curious on what people think.

My opinion is no since the average age is somewhere like 24-25 (or so I read somewhere) - however for those going at 26 you presumably won't graduate until 29-30 - could those "big law" jobs potentially go to younger candidates with the same qualifications?

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Deeeeeefinitely not too old.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I'm 28 years old and haven't even applied...you're totally fine

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

if skip this cycle I will be 26 when I go. I didn't want to make a whole new post on this but I have been out of school/work for the last 2 years.

Does the LSAT matter so much that my lack of "softs" will be made up for by a good LSAT score? If I do end up skipping this cycle and taking the June exam I will be most likely doing something over the next year though.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

No not at all.

13286 karma

@sillllyxo said:
    if skip this cycle I will be 26 when I go. I didn't want to make a whole new post on this but I have been out of school/work for the last 2 years.

Does the LSAT matter so much that my lack of "softs" will be made up for by a good LSAT score? If I do end up skipping this cycle and taking the June exam I will be most likely doing something over the next year though.

LSAT > GPA > Softs, if you wait, take the year to nurture a soft as well! But LSAT and GPA are most important

708 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@sillllyxo said:

LSAT > GPA > Softs, if you wait, take the year to nurture a soft as well! But LSAT and GPA are most important

My gpa is 3.45 can't really change that now. I was in an honors college - should have chose my previous major "journalism" sigh.. I had my son so he has been the priority and when I'm not studying I'm home with him or wheeling him around to different activities.

• Gramps1984Gramps1984 Alum Member
    64 karma

I'm turning 33....

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

No

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    edited September 2017 432 karma

I'm 27 and a half.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I must admit I lol'd at this because I'm in my 40's... ha! silly - you are being silly - go ahead and do it!

• justinhuang945945justinhuang945945 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

I‘m 26 and I will not think things that way.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

I am 24 and really wanted to start when I was 25. It looks like I will have just turned 26 when I aim to start. Everybody's circumstances is different. There are people who start when they are 50, I am sure we will be just fine.

• amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    378 karma

I'll be 29 this year and going next year the earliest...

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

There was a lady taking the LSAT with me Saturday who was easily in her 50s. You is just a lil baby!

• lgsb0629lgsb0629 Alum Member
    100 karma

I'm going to be 26 when I attend next fall.
    It's the perfect age, if you ask me.

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    298 karma

I sure hope not; I'll be 49 when I go :)

708 karma

@DawnHenry said:
    I sure hope not; I'll be 49 when I go :)

good for you!!!!

• elle_satelle_sat Alum Member
    98 karma

Ok but your son is adorable!!!! Insert heart eyes here!

• Socrat3sSocrat3s Alum Member
    edited September 2017 92 karma

I literally saw a woman in her 70s taking the test on Saturday and thought she was an undercover proctor. I'll be 27 when I start and that seems old to me, but that feeling is obviously subjective and won't translate into lack of opportunity in the workforce after law school.

708 karma

@Socrat3s said:
    I literally saw a woman in her 70s taking the test on Saturday and thought she was an undercover proctor. I'll be 27 when I start and that seems old to me, but that feeling is obviously subjective and won't translate into lack of opportunity in the workforce after law school.

oh wow lol! i was talking to my Mom telling her to go she thinks she's too old haha.

708 karma

@elle_sat said:
    Ok but your son is adorable!!!! Insert heart eyes here!

aw thank you so much!!! he keeps me busy that is for sure

• janesp34janesp34 Member
    38 karma

@Socrat3s said:

that is so funny! Undercover proctor. > @sillllyxo said:

My opinion is no since the average age is somewhere like 24-25 (or so I read somewhere) - however for those going at 26 you presumably won't graduate until 29-30 - could those "big law" jobs potentially go to younger candidates with the same qualifications?

No way! It all depends on you and where you want to be where you graduate. My friends father went to law school in his 50s! It is never too late to get yourself a better education than what you already have. Keep on studying! Who cares how old you are.

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

@sillllyxo said:

No way, like some previous responders, I will be in my late thirties when I apply.

• axjxmarvelaxjxmarvel Alum Member
    158 karma

Yay for moms in law school! You are a champ. I'm 27 and have a babe as well, and I'll be applying either this cycle or next. Most law schools look more favorably on post-undergrad experience rather than jumping in to law school at 22. Firms look more favorably on that as well because, frankly, having "real world" experience (whether work or parenthood) makes you far more valuable and employable than a 25 year old fresh out of law school with no experience outside of higher ed.

Side note: I wrote the September LSAT (as a splitter, I'm shooting for an insane score and will likely have to write December as well to get there), so if you ever want to chat about balancing motherhood and LSAT studying let me know! Not that I have all the answers, but it's nice to talk to other moms in the same boat.

Best of luck! You got this.

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

I'll be 34 when I apply.

708 karma

@axjxmarvel said:
    Yay for moms in law school! You are a champ. I'm 27 and have a babe as well, and I'll be applying either this cycle or next. Most law schools look more favorably on post-undergrad experience rather than jumping in to law school at 22. Firms look more favorably on that as well because, frankly, having "real world" experience (whether work or parenthood) makes you far more valuable and employable than a 25 year old fresh out of law school with no experience outside of higher ed.

Side note: I wrote the September LSAT (as a splitter, I'm shooting for an insane score and will likely have to write December as well to get there), so if you ever want to chat about balancing motherhood and LSAT studying let me know! Not that I have all the answers, but it's nice to talk to other moms in the same boat.

Best of luck! You got this.

YES! messaging you :)

708 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:
    I'll be 34 when I apply.

wow i would have never guessed from your picture!!!

• ChandymenChandymen Alum Member
    119 karma

26 is pretty much the average age in law school

708 karma

These comments are really great - so nice seeing how old others are and having support! I wish you all great luck on your LSAT journey :)

• louise.jesselouise.jesse Alum Member
    61 karma

As many have stated, no - I'm 33 about to turn 34 and I'm considering putting off applications another year to study more for the LSAT.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2017 23929 karma

If you're interested in big law, being 30 or so won't hinder your chances. Could even be spun into a positive. Just understand that your first year peers may be a few years younger than you.

• yougchLSATyougchLSAT Alum Member
    71 karma

Reading this as a 20-year-old really inspires me. So many courageous stories. I actually look forward to learning from older peers when I get into law school next year. I also worry if I don't have much "softs," so age could be a positive or a negative, depending on your mindset.

• KillmongerKillmonger Alum Member
    332 karma

LMAO whether it is or isn't don't matter because my 27 year old ass is showing up to law school anyway. They can fight me if they want me to leave.

edited September 2017 98 karma

Hahaha. I love these responses. Makes me not feel as guilty about not studying right now and instead pushing play on this next episode of Suits :)

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

24/25 is the median for law schools, these days, at least at the ones I know of. I'm 26 myself, and I've found that taking a few years off was beneficial for a variety of reasons. And I would argue taking the time off brought no disadvantages.

13286 karma

@danielznelson said:
    24/25 is the median for law schools, these days, at least at the ones I know of. I'm 26 myself, and I've found that taking a few years off was beneficial for a variety of reasons. And I would argue taking the time off brought no disadvantages.

You also enjoy RC you sick...sick....oh god please help me the Judges made me cry! Make me better at RC!!

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

@"marvin.dike" said:
    LMAO whether it is or isn't don't matter because my 27 year old ass is showing up to law school anyway. They can fight me if they want me to leave.

Same

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@"marvin.dike" said:

ROTFL! I'll be 32 when I apply I'll be damned if I let age stop me.

• karolynnekarolynne Member
    4 karma

It is soooo good to know your experience guys!
    I'll be 33 when I apply, and it makes me feel relieved...
    I was worried about it too
    thanks you all

98 karma

@tringo335 said:

@"marvin.dike" said:

Oh my gosh I do NOT believe you!! Share your skin secrets!!

332 karma

@elle_sat said:

@tringo335 said:

@"marvin.dike" said:

Melanin.

• buno____buno____ Alum Member
    edited October 2017 19 karma

:smile:

3679 karma

@"marvin.dike" said:

@elle_sat said:

@tringo335 said:

@"marvin.dike" said:

Melanin.

I. Just. Died. @"marvin.dike" wins 2017 LOL!!!!

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

@tringo335 said:

@"marvin.dike" said:

Girllll, ill be31!! ???

332 karma

@tringo335 Today i got time!

3679 karma

@"marvin.dike" said:

@elle_sat said:

@tringo335 said:

@"marvin.dike" said:

Melanin.

And @elle_sat yes, @"marvin.dike" is right ... I don't really have a skincare routine .. black just don't crack.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I'm 33 and a bit intimidated by the youth of most people going, but I really don't think it will affect anything except biglaw chances (which I have absolutely no interest in anyway). A graduate at 29/30 is going to be absolutely fine. I think probably mid-30s and up, biglaw firms might be more hesitant to hire because they demand insane hours. But pretty much any other employment option is not going to be a problem because of age.

3679 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I'm 33 and a bit intimidated by the youth of most people going, but I really don't think it will affect anything except biglaw chances (which I have absolutely no interest in anyway). A graduate at 29/30 is going to be absolutely fine. I think probably mid-30s and up, biglaw firms might be more hesitant to hire because they demand insane hours. But pretty much any other employment option is not going to be a problem because of age.

I've heard the opposite. From what I hear, Big Law prefers people with lots of work experience and older candidates.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@tringo335 said:

@"Leah M B" said:

I've heard the opposite. From what I hear, Big Law prefers people with lots of work experience and older candidates.

I could definitely believe that! But also they expect you to work ridiculous hours and the young'uns are more inclined to that. Might depend on the firm! I have definitely heard of folks in mid-30's+ getting biglaw, so it could also be self-selection. Fewer older folks want it because of the hours.

• CJF_2180CJF_2180 Alum Member
    106 karma

I am a few months shy of 27. Its been stressing me out that I'm going to apply for 2019 and that so far I have done less in my life than I wanted to at this point... But I am trying to put that behind me. So here is to not letting age matter.