Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Emails

Gramps1984Gramps1984 Alum Member
in General 64 karma

I'm just curious if these emails from different law schools mean they are actually interested in you, or are they just trying to pad their wallets and stats. My GPA is decent and I hope I did well on the September lsat, but the only other thing they know about me is I am old as hell. The NYU email made me decide to post this, but for all I know everyone in the lsac system received the same one. Any insight or experiences would be appreciated.

Comments

• not2lindsaynot2lindsay Free Trial Member
    42 karma

I'm being inundated with emails, and they know nothing about me other than my name, age, and email so far. I'm not putting much stock in them at this point.

• Gramps1984Gramps1984 Alum Member
    64 karma

Have you received any from schools you would like to attend? I figured everyone was receiving the emails from Bob's Online Welding and Legal Academy.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Different schools have different triggers. Many just blanket the list, but once you've got some stats in the system, schools can selectively target you. Once I had my LSAT score in, I noticed a number of additional schools jumping on the email train.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I hate their damn e-mails. I wish I woulda made an account just for them. I've been getting them non-stop for like a year now...

64 karma

Thanks for the replies. To refine my question a bit, is it just as common for the top tier schools to send out these letters from what you are seeing?

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

The problem with using a spam email account is they put you into their system with that email. I've recently had an issue where I tried to get them to switch to my proper email, but they kept sending to my spam account. So I will always be tied to my spam account which is named accordingly...

And yes, once you have an LSAT score, top tier schools will send you fee waiver and the like if you meet their requirements.

756 karma

Something I did hate though was schools sending last minute "advice" about taking the LSAT. Like, really guys? Do you think I want you trying to change my LSAT approach days before?

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@jameslorenz said:
    Thanks for the replies. To refine my question a bit, is it just as common for the top tier schools to send out these letters from what you are seeing?

I haven't gotten any of those emails from top tier schools...

• katekellypetersonkatekellypeterson Free Trial Member
    10 karma

Ugh the Duke/Cornell/Stanford one. No way I would get into any of those schools, but not sure why they'd invite thousands of kids to an event at a firm.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

I got the Harvard one yesterday and it made me LOL....

64 karma

@stepharizona said:

I wonder what the "trigger" was. High gpa, lsat, minority status? Maybe you are underestimating yourself? I guess the other possibility is that even the Harvard's and NYU's blanket email.

• imharrisimharris Alum Member
    466 karma

these emails can be very annoying... I have a personal war going on with Arizona Summit.

BUT! Do not disregard them. Once LSAC had my LSAT score in I started getting a number of emails from T14 schools waiving my application fee. I'm always happy to get an email saving me $55-$85.

• tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
    300 karma

@katekellypeterson I received that e-mail as well! Are you going to attend? I just want to see what they have to say!

• StrangerThanFiction175StrangerThanFiction175 Free Trial Member
    edited September 2017 99 karma

@imharris said:
    these emails can be very annoying... I have a personal war going on with Arizona Summit.

BUT! Do not disregard them. Once LSAC had my LSAT score in I started getting a number of emails from T14 schools waiving my application fee. I'm always happy to get an email saving me $55-$85.

Been getting these too. While I'm not putting much stock in them, I'm certainly happy to be able to apply to these schools without paying the full price (still have the LSAC report fee to pay admittedly). Does make me feel special when they send me material in the mail though lol. Got a packet from Michigan with a fee waiver and a letter and that sure made me feel good.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    I hate their damn e-mails. I wish I woulda made an account just for them. I've been getting them non-stop for like a year now...

THIS

• imharrisimharris Alum Member
    466 karma

@zmeeker91 I got the same package from Michigan! Love that real signature. My dad went there. It's pretty high up on my list of schools... maybe I'll see you there next fall!

756 karma

@imharris said:
    @zmeeker91 I got the same package from Michigan! Love that real signature. My dad went there. It's pretty high up on my list of schools... maybe I'll see you there next fall!

Yeah, same. I really hate to be manipulated when I know that's what they are trying to do (we actually care about you! See we took the time to sign it!), but damn it if I can't help but feel wanted :-P

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

@jameslorenz said:

@stepharizona said:

I wonder what the "trigger" was. High gpa, lsat, minority status? Maybe you are underestimating yourself? I guess the other possibility is that even the Harvard's and NYU's blanket email.

Ha nope... only thing is a non traditional.

I just unsubscribe from the schools I don't want to hear from.

• StrangerThanFiction175StrangerThanFiction175 Free Trial Member
    99 karma

@imharris Hope so! I visited last Spring, and the campus is phenomenal. If you get a chance to visit, I would higher recommend it.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

My favorite was a fee waiver and an Amazon gift card if I applied.

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    315 karma

How many "Good luck on the LSAT" does it take to get a higher score?

None, so stop pressuring me.

13286 karma

@"The Burt Macklin" said:

My favorite was getting the same e-mail from California Western school of law 5 times on the day of the September test....why? It just made me angry at them.

756 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

My favorite was getting the same e-mail from California Western school of law 5 times on the day of the September test....why? It just made me angry at them.

There's no such thing as bad press! :-P

13286 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

There's no such thing as bad press! :-P

I mean...I did just throw their name out on a popular LSAT forum because of how annoying they were....I've been bamboozled! I'm now giving them free advertising!

• BillGreenpointBillGreenpoint Alum Member
    edited September 2017 318 karma

California Western was out of line. I can't believe California Western School of Law, founded in 1924 and with an application fee of $0, would stoop to such dirty tactics to drum up business. I, personally, will boycott California Western, located at 225 Cedar Street
    San Diego, CA 92101-3090, https://www.cwsl.edu/

CaliforniaWesternSchoolofLawCaliforniaWesternSchoolofLawCaliforniaWesternSchoolofLawCaliforniaWesternSchoolofLawCaliforniaWesternSchoolofLawCaliforniaWesternSchoolofLaw

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@BillGreenpoint said:
    California Western was out of line. I can't believe California Western School of Law, founded in 1924 and with an application fee of $0, would stoop to such dirty tactics to drum up business. I, personally, will boycott California Western, located at 225 Cedar Street
    San Diego, CA 92101-3090, https://www.cwsl.edu/

CaliforniaWesternSchoolofLawCaliforniaWesternSchoolofLawCaliforniaWesternSchoolofLawCaliforniaWesternSchoolofLawCaliforniaWesternSchoolofLawCaliforniaWesternSchoolofLaw

https://media.tenor.com/images/bf4c9a934f193ef60c253dfdd95df98e/tenor.gif

• BillGreenpointBillGreenpoint Alum Member
    318 karma

Just messin' around.

• sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma

@tcookPHL said:
    @katekellypeterson I received that e-mail as well! Are you going to attend? I just want to see what they have to say!

I'm attending! See you there?

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@BillGreenpoint said:
    Just messin' around.

I know! But you're good at replicating the spam bots. I had to double take to make sure you weren't one hahaha

64 karma

Got the Michigan and William and Mary with fee waivers. Hope it means they are actually interested but I guess we will see.

• dcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdc Alum Member
    382 karma

Is there a possibility of having checked a box not to send any emails to my account when I signed up on LSAC? I've not received any emails from law schools and have had a score on record since June.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

@dcdcdcdcdc Yes. It's possible you didn't sign up for the Candidate Referral Service (CRS).

• dcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdc Alum Member
    edited October 2017 382 karma

@AllezAllez21 Thanks! That seems to be it. Can't wait to get bombarded with emails.

64 karma

It can be annoying but when a Michigan or NYU shows up it feels good

• batstephbatsteph Alum Member
    6 karma

@stepharizona said:

@jameslorenz said:

@stepharizona said:

Ha nope... only thing is a non traditional.

I just unsubscribe from the schools I don't want to hear from.

Are you at ASU? I am also non-traditional and got invited to apply junior deferral. I'm all about it b/c it'll let me get the rejection out of the way a whole year early