Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 25-26 "old" for law school?

2»

Comments

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@CJF_2180 said:
    I am a few months shy of 27. Its been stressing me out that I'm going to apply for 2019 and that so far I have done less in my life than I wanted to at this point... But I am trying to put that behind me. So here is to not letting age matter.

love this- agreed!!!

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@tringo335 said:

@"marvin.dike" said:
    LMAO whether it is or isn't don't matter because my 27 year old ass is showing up to law school anyway. They can fight me if they want me to leave.

ROTFL! I'll be 32 when I apply I'll be damned if I let age stop me.

god bless you - you look amazing. Since i had my son I have aged so.much.

• I am going to be 29 when I begin law school, almost 30, and they are studies that show it is becoming more and more common for the median age of a law school student to be higher now than it was in previous years. I think a lot of people are working for a wee bit, and then coming back to start law degrees. Also, as a college professor, I have had countless students who are older than my parents starting school over. You will be fine, promise :smile: .

• veronica_moniqueveronica_monique Alum Member
    30 karma

I am 41 with two children Plus one on the weekends because my significant other has partial custody. My oldest is 15 and my youngest is one. The thought about what I am doing for the legacy of my family outweighs how old I am when I start. Its not about age its about what your doing with your age. For me I confident in saying, Im 41, I have two children and I still have enough fight in me to go after my goals. Before anyone opens their mouth to tell you that your too old, you would have already plead your case. Wear your age well, dont let your age wear you.

• sarahmelton6sarahmelton6 Alum Member
    169 karma

I'll be 37!

• saul.j.slowiksaul.j.slowik Alum Member
    54 karma

I'm taking the LSAT after I turn 36. Age isn't really anything but a number, to be honest.

At least that's based on my experience. I compete with people in their 20s in my profession. From what I've seen, people care about competence more than anything. I'm willing to work hard for what I want. I'm not going to let someone beat me simply because of age.

• coolvirtualcoolvirtual Member
    2 karma

@DawnHenry said:
    I sure hope not; I'll be 49 when I go :)

I'll be 40 >=H

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

@sillllyxo said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:
    I'll be 34 when I apply.

wow i would have never guessed from your picture!!!

Thank you! That was very kind of you.

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    edited September 2017 295 karma

I'll be in that age range as well. I used to be discouraged because all my friends are already in their second year of post grad studies and I haven't even started yet. But then when I think about it, everyone's path is different. As long as you get to where you're going, it's all relative. Plus I look 12 anyway so no one can tell how old I am haha!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Y'all, just want to say you're really cheering me up, seeing all these replies from people starting in their 30's and later. Being in my mid 30's in law school is really intimidating, but it's so nice to hear that at least I won't be alone! :-D

• alyssamcc0593alyssamcc0593 Alum Member
    290 karma

I'll be 25 by the time I start law school, and I know a few people that took 2-3 years off before starting so you won't be alone

• adharamsiadharamsi Free Trial Member
    3 karma

count your blessings that time is on your side! I am 47 and studying for the LSATs...

• scrichard1279scrichard1279 Alum Member
    26 karma

I have a very similar GPA and will be taking the LSAT in February. I am 35 years old. I have reached out to several universities and based on my academics, barring a disastrous LSAT, which I intend to score a 160, they have been very eager for me to apply. I do not mean to push Christianity on anyone but I believe you are exactly right on time for whatever God has planned for your life!! If you're doing something you love, age becomes irrelevant.

• LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
    edited September 2017 190 karma

I don't think so. It's a common track for those having a second career. i'll be 35 before I get in, and I have a lot of friends in the military who go into grad school after doing their 8+ years. I am around the DC area, the law schools here all have PT night programs for working adults, so it may be a "bigger city" concept having older students in a program.

• LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
    190 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:
    I'll be 34 when I apply.

same here!

• kcouaminkcouamin Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Definitely, not too old. I'm 28. Also, I don't think their qualifications would be the same. I also have another graduate degree (there were folk 40+ years old in that program) and working experience. Think age might only be an issue if you're planning a family.

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

I'll be 50+ when I apply and attend. I dare them to say 'no' to me. (Or to any age, for that matter.) Hahaheehee

• ramster1ramster1 Member
    109 karma

Definitely not too old! I'm in my 40's. Some advice: if you took time off to have a child, describe it as a simple, positive, intentional choice (don't make excuses for it or go into details): "I did this and it was awesome and now I'm eager to jump back in the game." I took 5 years off with my kids years ago and then went back to work. Big Law is a mixed bag with families. My honest take is that it's still easier for a guy to mention that he has a family than a woman when applying for competitive jobs. It's more often seen as a plus for guys (stable, traditional) and a minus for women (lack of dedication). Take it one step at a time - do well in law school and many more options open up. I'm not planning to go to Big Law, btw, though many of my friends and colleagues did in their early 30's and I've gone through interviews at big firms in the past.

• Liz AlvarezLiz Alvarez Alum Member
    4 karma

I'm 28 and just graduated with a BA.. will take the LSAT in June. I used to think my age mattered, not really. Everyone has a unique story, accomplish your dream to be an inspiration for others. Good luck :)