Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you want to go to law school and why?

2»

Comments

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@TheMikey said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Okay...I've seen this a few times and haven't answered because I don't want to get made fun of haha but I want to say so...

My dream school is Columbia because that is the school Alexander Hamilton went to. It actually gives me chills thinking about going to the same school that one of the most influential men in American history went to. I wish I could amount to being half the man that he was. Unfortunately I do not have the track record to get into Columbia. If we are talking being realistic I'd say UCLA.

but if you got into Columbia we could get insanely drunk together

YOU ARE FUNNY

Here is a visual representation of me trying to get into Columbia....

https://media.giphy.com/media/O7jVbLg1kXDQ4/giphy.gif

Hahhaa, that's awesome. I'll be in that car/truck/whatever with ya!

2134 karma

My top school is also Columbia and yes, I am applying regardless of their crazy high numbers and my crazy low numbers. I want to go for the prestige factor - yes, people, I'm admitting it, prestige... and it will make my mama happy. Also, a degree from Columbia will get me a job anywhere, I mean, anywhere and right now, I need that for financial security.

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    436 karma

@spitzy11 said:
    Definitely Michigan because that's where my significant other is right now. Other than that, UCLA/USC since I'm born and raised in so cal :)

omg how funny I'm on the same boat!! My dream is really to study in so cal (I'm from Bay Area) but my bae is in Michigan and LD is the worst......don't know how I feel about it yet but it's looking like Michigan is becoming reality

• The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma

@LCMama2017

Are you concerned about the debtload? It can run 300k.

• sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma

Thanks for asking this question!! I'm actually super conflicted, because I really want to go to school in NYC, and would love NYU, but that's probably a reach for me. I'm not sure how much to focus on location vs. program vs. a compromise of the two. For ex, if a school in a location I don't want to live in has the best program for my interests, do I compromise on location or program? That's what I'm struggling with right now.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

@tringo335 I don't know any schools known for labor and employment law...BUT I did talk to a Stanford rep at a law school fair this past weekend and she was telling me about some great labor & employment professors that just joined their school. Sorry I wasn't able to give you any new info!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@btownsquee said:
    @tringo335 I don't know any schools known for labor and employment law...BUT I did talk to a Stanford rep at a law school fair this past weekend and she was telling me about some great labor & employment professors that just joined their school. Sorry I wasn't able to give you any new info!

At Stanford?? That's awesome! Good to know.

1207 karma

@cbyrns21 Do you mind sharing what the Stanford Dean said about applicants with a low GPA? Are there any particular things she suggested doing? This is a very general question. I'm trying to figure out how to make my low undergraduate GPA less relevant while pursuing things I'm interested in now! Like labor & employment law and policy. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. :)

1207 karma

@tringo335 yep! I'm in love with Stanford now. haha

• cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
    160 karma

@btownsquee So the first time I met with Dean Deal was at a Downtown LA Standford/Duke meeting with the Deans. She told everyone how Stanford takes the holistic approach into making their decisions. Anything you have going for you that's outside the box can benefit you tremendously; setting yourself apart from the pack.
    The second time I met with her was pure coincidence and she took the time to sit with me and answer ALL my questions. Like you, my UGPA is crap (haha). I explained to her my situation (retired Air Force with health issues being the reason for my low UGPA). She told me because my numbers won't speak for me, my personal statement has to. Thoroughly explain your story and how what you learned can impact Stanford academically and professionally. According to Dean Deal, there's a wildcard application process where they put together a handful of atypical applicants who, although don't stand out in numbers, stand out in their character. The committee sits down and really evaluates these candidates to see how they'll mesh with demands and such of the law program. Wildcards are the last to know if they are accepted. She told me around April 30. I hope that helps.

1207 karma

@cbyrns21 yes it absolutely helps!! THANK YOU!

2134 karma

@"The 180 Bro_OVO" said:
    @LCMama2017

Are you concerned about the debtload? It can run 300k.

I'm not - the GI Bill will pay for half of it. The other half we will pay by selling stock or dipping into our retirement if needed.

• cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
    160 karma

@LCMama2017 not sure if you're military or not but, also see how much your chosen school contributes to the Yellow Ribbon program. Each school is different in their generosity. If it's a public school, the GI Bill will cover 100%. If it's private, only $22,805.34. Then you can supplement with what your school will contribute. For example, Stanford's tuition is free for military because they have an unlimited cap to the Yellow Ribbon. Other private schools aren't so generous. Something to think about.

2134 karma

@cbyrns21 said:
    @LCMama2017 not sure if you're military or not but, also see how much your chosen school contributes to the Yellow Ribbon program. Each school is different in their generosity. If it's a public school, the GI Bill will cover 100%. If it's private, only $22,805.34. Then you can supplement with what your school will contribute. For example, Stanford's tuition is free for military because they have an unlimited cap to the Yellow Ribbon. Other private schools aren't so generous. Something to think about.

Thanks cbyrns - I am a veteran but i don't qualify for the yellow ribbon program. The GI Bill only covers me for 50% because I have less than a year active duty - the other years were reserve and those don't count. The yellow ribbon program kicks in only if the GI Bill covers you for 100% so no luck on that end. Once I apply I will get definite numbers but for now that's how its looking. Thx for your suggestion though!

• alyssamcc0593alyssamcc0593 Alum Member
    290 karma

University of Texas! I want to stay in Texas and they have an amazing pull at Big Law in the Texas market (a lot of 1L's get SA's which is great), and also because of the Return on Investment, especially for in state students. I also like how collegial the environment is there. My next big one is Vanderbilt.

• bobbutwith8charactersbobbutwith8characters Free Trial Member
    89 karma

Any T14, but most likely Cornell. I don't want to be in a situation where I go to a top 50 law school and am stuck in a region I don't like. I love my home state, and it's law school is actually pretty highly ranked. But I want as many opportunities as possible, and a T14 seems like the logical choice for that goal.

As for why Cornell specifically, I saw a picture of its library and it was really cool.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    edited September 2017 1269 karma

Stanford, but I'm trying to decide which other schools to apply to (and I'm really open to some others though I haven't decided). One of the main reasons for Stanford is that I'm already getting my Ph.D here.

• JenJernstedtJenJernstedt Alum Member
    142 karma

NY or bust! Definitely want to head home after undergrad. My ideal choice/fit would be Fordham I'd say :)

• 136 karma

@Alex said:
    HYS or one of Columbia NYU Cornell w/ a good scholarship. Essentially big law or bust has lead me to only consider schools where I know I'll have an amazing shot.

Curious, out of those three which is the most splitter friendly?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

@"Mindful Monkey" said:

@Alex said:
    HYS or one of Columbia NYU Cornell w/ a good scholarship. Essentially big law or bust has lead me to only consider schools where I know I'll have an amazing shot.

Curious, out of those three which is the most splitter friendly?

Columbia!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Good luck to everyone with whatever your goals are.

For me, the only variable in my decision is location. My family moved to St Louis when I retired from the military so my wife could start to prioritize / plant roots in her career without moving every two years. We also found a great school for my 8 year old daughter. So we aren't moving any time soon, regardless of daddy's law school dreams. Its either WUSTL or St Louis University for me.

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    Good luck to everyone with whatever your goals are.

For me, the only variable in my decision is location. My family moved to St Louis when I retired from the military so my wife could start to prioritize / plant roots in her career without moving every two years. We also found a great school for my 8 year old daughter. So we aren't moving any time soon, regardless of daddy's law school dreams. Its either WUSTL or St Louis University for me.

I'm in that same boat as well. Where ever we decide to move for law school is where we want to stay for a while. Since my fiance is cold if the weather is under 60˚F, that means down south :) We would love to live in NC so my three top choices are Duke, Wake Forest and UNC. It would be great to have more choices for law school, but It will be even better to stop moving the family around and actually have a house and community to call home.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Scholarships and rank will ultimately decide it for me. But other things equal, I'd give a slight edge to Michigan for proximity to home, to Northwestern for beauty and still being in the Midwest, and to WUSTL for the fact that they reached out to me and also are still sort of in the Midwest.

U Chicago likely would have got a similar little boost for location and its historic importance in law and economics, but the dead crows which were laying on the ground next to the law school being squawked at by the still living crows freaked me out. In the event that they get over their fascination with UGPA long enough to let me in, I'll have to try not to hold my horror at dead crows against them.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

U Chicago likely would have got a similar little boost for location and its historic importance in law and economics, but the dead crows which were laying on the ground next to the law school being squawked at by the still living crows freaked me out. In the event that they get over their fascination with UGPA long enough to let me in, I'll have to try not to hold my horror at dead crows against them.

That is legit terrifying and a very valid reason for developing a bit of prejudice.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@LindsMitch said:

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

That is legit terrifying and a very valid reason for developing a bit of prejudice.

It was July 4th or 3rd or something and therefore quite hot and the Law School was not open so I can't really rationally blame them for the crow's death or a failure to clean it up. But nonetheless, the image makes it hard to find that enthusiasm, especially when Northwestern managed to look stunningly beautiful on the same day.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

the dead crows which were laying on the ground next to the law school being squawked at by the still living crows freaked me out.

I'm a scientific skeptic, but UChicago is clearly cursed, and dark unholy things will happen if you go there.

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

Harvard and Yale are the goals. Figure if I shoot high enough I will land at an amazing school either way!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3788 karma

@"Jonah Chadwick Griego" said:
    Harvard and Yale are the goals. Figure if I shoot high enough I will land at an amazing school either way!

Shoot for the stars and land on the moon!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Joining in on that first-gen parade! :smiley:
    My goal is for ASU, with U of A in a close second. ASU is in the top 25, has a brand new building in the heart of it all, and I'm already a student with them (albeit online). I have a lot of friends in Phoenix, many who are employees or alums, and it's close enough that I can come home on weekends (I'm a mom, so this is a rather important benefit to me). U of A is a little farther away from home, but I still have some friends in Tucson as well. Their ranking is lower, but they're nearly equal to ASU in certain respects (Employment figures). Of course, I'd freak out if I got into Harvard or Stanford or the likes. Not sure how practical it would be for me to go to one, but if the conditions were right, I'd absolutely consider it and would want to go. I can't even tell you how far-fetched that dream is from where I started. In the history of my entire family line, including cousins, no one has ever done anything like that. Technically, finishing law school would fulfill that, too, but Ivy would just be that much bigger.
    My decision will have to be based on practicality, though. Namely, money. It looks like I'll have the GPA to go just about anywhere. Just comes down to the LSAT and scholarship offers.

• lTexlawzlTexlawz Free Trial Member
    277 karma

I am a native Texan and stay in my own backyard. I will stick with University of Texas at Austin or Baylor University or Texas Tech. All three have good trial advocacy programs. Plus, I want be a good trial lawyer over all. Plus, the state of Texas has a good legal community.