Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unexpected Burnout

JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
edited October 2017 in General 602 karma

So I was just about done with the CC with 4 Logic games to go, when all of a sudden I cant seem to concentrate anymore, whether I am trying to just watch a video on how to do an LG or do it on my own. I don't really understand why I am tired when I usually work through the CC an average of 6 days a week, leaving Sundays as a rest day because I'm busy on that day anyway. Any thoughts or advice? The December Test is almost here so I feel like I do not have time to burn out now.

Comments

• btsao650btsao650 Alum Member
    254 karma

You're not alone. I experienced severe burnout after taking the September Exam. I thought I would take a couple days off before getting right back into studying for the December Exam ( I knew I wanted to retake), but honestly-I gave myself a good 2 weeks off! I feel A LOT better now and am ready to hit the books. Self care is paramount and really affects how well you retain information.

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

Hang in there. I know the feeling...you're so myopically focused that recently even passages that you're normally able to understand and breakdown become mind-boggling. There's really just two ways to cure it: train through it, or take a break and come back fresh. Ultimately only you can really know that but it's important to get sleep and eat well. Also pressure from external factors negatively affect even the most brilliant test takers. It's hard not to make an excuse for yourself: I have work this week, I have school this week, but none of that matters I just have to take it and study. Well to be very honest, I've almost always done better when I haven't had to worry about deadlines at school.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

BRUH. Take a break. Trust me, burnout is NOT something you want to mess around with. If you try to power through, you might put your brain out of commission for a week or two weeks. The same thing happened to me, and I didn't believe people who told me to stop studying so hard. Consequently I had to take two weeks off of studying completely. I couldn't even hold conversations with people because my brain was so fried!

Just take a break. Maybe a few days off. And don't study for like 12 hours a day. Maybe 4-5 hours maximum per day, and take a full weekend off every once and a while.

While you may get anxious not studying because relaxing seems like a "passive" activity, you are actually ACTIVELY improving your LSAT by resting your mind. Studying for the LSAT is a lot like going to the gym - you needa give your muscles time to recover before you can hit them again. Same thing goes with the LSAT, except instead of muscles its your mind, and instead of dumbbells and barbells its the core curriculum and drilling :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Take 2-3 days off. I've found that burnout won't go away unless you just stop doing all LSAT stuff for at least 48 hours or so. Think of taking time off from prep as a necessary condition to successful prep.

For what it's worth, after taking a break a few weeks ago, I came back and took PT58 and did the best I'd ever done on any PT by about 5 points.

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

Thanks, I'll definitely do that from now on.