Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Misc Games

gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
in Logic Games 153 karma

Hi everyone,I was wondering if anybody had any strategies on how to study misc or really weird/one of a kind type games?

As an example consider G4 from Prep-Test 72. I bombed that game during my practice test, and I'm not sure what else to do besides watch the video. Its not like bombing an in-out game where you can refer to back to many other examples of in-out games and practice those. This game seems like a one of a kind sort of thing.

I'm writing the test in Dec. and I'm just worried because if something along the lines of the above example game comes up, I don't think I'll do very well on that game. The silver-lining in the clouds here is that I'm comfortable with all the more formulaic or generic types of games (e.g. in/out, sequencing etc.). But if I run into a G4 from PT 72 in dec. that could be a big score difference, and affect my admissions chances for specific schools :/

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I'm not really sure if there is a way to study for misc. games besides just doing them tbh. They, as you know, differ a lot from normal games and from one another. This makes it hard to study for them and come up with a set way of doing them.

What I recommend is to do all of the misc games from 1-39 and just get used to making non-normal game boards. There are some misc games, however, that you can make a game board similar to a grouping game or sequencing game but the game is still a weird one. for example, (spoiler if you haven't done PT 79 yet) the viruses game on this PT is a very tough game, especially at first glance, but if you accommodate it to be like a sequencing game (aka something you already know) then you are golden because that is what it basically is, just in a weird way.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

The best advice is just to remain calm and begin writing down rules. These games aren't actually harder than regular games. I actually gave my friend an odd ball game and a regular sequencing game. He missed -3 on each game and did them each in like 15 minutes untimed.

Don't get paralyzed.

Here is a partial list of some older misc game you can try out:

PT1-S2-G1
    PT6-S4-G3
    PT20-S3-G4
    PT21-S1-G3
    PT30-S1-G1
    PT9-S3-G4
    PT4-S3-G4
    PT8-S2-G2
    PT18-S1-G3
    PT18-S1-G4
    PT12-S2-G4
    PT10-S2-G3
    PT16-S1-G4
    PT2-S3-G3
    PT13-S1-G4
    PT6-S4-G4
    PT15-S4-G2
    PT11-S1-G4

• gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
    153 karma

@TheMikey said:
    I'm not really sure if there is a way to study for misc. games besides just doing them tbh. They, as you know, differ a lot from normal games and from one another. This makes it hard to study for them and come up with a set way of doing them.

What I recommend is to do all of the misc games from 1-39 and just get used to making non-normal game boards. There are some misc games, however, that you can make a game board similar to a grouping game or sequencing game but the game is still a weird one. for example, (spoiler if you haven't done PT 79 yet) the viruses game on this PT is a very tough game, especially at first glance, but if you accommodate it to be like a sequencing game (aka something you already know) then you are golden because that is what it basically is, just in a weird way.

That helps a lot, thanks a ton! I think you're right the key to these sort of games is to become comfortable being uncomfortable and not to panic just because a game doesn't immediately fit the mold of something that I saw in the curriculum.

• gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
    153 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    The best advice is just to remain calm and begin writing down rules. These games aren't actually harder than regular games. I actually gave my friend an odd ball game and a regular sequencing game. He missed -3 on each game and did them each in like 15 minutes untimed.

Don't get paralyzed.

Here is a partial list of some older misc game you can try out:

PT1-S2-G1
    PT6-S4-G3
    PT20-S3-G4
    PT21-S1-G3
    PT30-S1-G1
    PT9-S3-G4
    PT4-S3-G4
    PT8-S2-G2
    PT18-S1-G3
    PT18-S1-G4
    PT12-S2-G4
    PT10-S2-G3
    PT16-S1-G4
    PT2-S3-G3
    PT13-S1-G4
    PT6-S4-G4
    PT15-S4-G2
    PT11-S1-G4

You have no idea how much I appreciate this list. Usually I do about 3 tests per week and take 2 days to just do re-do certain LR sections that were difficult or particular games that I struggled with. I can use this list for those practice days to work through, so thank you so much. :smiley:

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I think Misc games test our ability in understanding rules. We can’t categorize these games, but once we understand the rules, these games are really simple.

But I think these take up time because these are not so formulaic. So I think the key is to do other games quickly. When I did PT72, I had almost 15 minutes left for the last game, so I spent almost 7 minutes writing out various possibilities in order to understand the game and was able to do questions under 3 minutes.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@akistotle said:
    I think Misc games test our ability in understanding rules. We can’t categorize these games, but once we understand the rules, these games are really simple.

But I think these take up time because these are not so formulaic. So I think the key is to do other games quickly. When I did PT72, I had almost 15 minutes left for the last game, so I spent almost 7 minutes writing out various possibilities in order to understand the game and was able to do questions under 3 minutes.

totally agree. I think the best way to just figure out a misc game that you really don't get is to just focus on the rules and go with your gut on the questions..

PT 80, I went with my gut for 3 questions and ended up getting those 3 out of 5 right by just knowing the rules and playing around with them in my head.

when in doubt, zone in hard on the rules

• BumblebeeBumblebee Member
    640 karma

Thank you so much for the helpful post+ comment thread! "Keep calm and focus on the rules" is key for misc games. Dont freeze :)