Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Book recommendation for crafting your personal statement

LetsHigh5LetsHigh5 Alum Member

Hello, everyone. As you craft your personal statement, I'd like to recommend an incredibly helpful book. Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style" is a classic, of course. But I think you'd be wise to supplement it with Clark's "Writing Tools: 55 Essential Strategies for Every Writer":

https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Tools-Essential-Strategies-Writer-ebook/dp/B000SEIW9E/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=

It's clear, pragmatic, and filled with tiny pearls of writerly wisdom. In addition to its short but lucid explanations, it offers excerpts from various authors. These serve as exemplars to vividly illustrate each point. And at the end of each chapter, there are specific "workshop" action steps to help apply these tips to your own writing.

Of course, even a great book is no substitute for an excellent editor. So, definitely consider getting help from @"David.Busis" , as well. I gained a tremendous amount from his P.S. curriculum on 7sage and from the edits he gave my personal statement.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style" is something everyone should read. Great recommendation!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I've never read a book about writing so I'm not sure how beneficial they are. I think I'll take a look once I get further along with LSAT studying.

A few years ago I read a compilation of award winning essays, and I found my writing benefited greatly.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Very nice; thank you!

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    edited October 2017 7272 karma

Thanks for the endorsement! The free writing lessons I wrote for the admissions course—beginning with the one on clutter (link below)—are influenced by William Zinsser's excellent On Writing Well.

https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/eliminating-unnecessary-words/

• LetsHigh5LetsHigh5 Alum Member
    703 karma

Bought, sight unseen, but without hesitation. If you vouch for it, I'm sure it's a keeper. Thanks again for everything, David.