Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Contest] What's your favorite LSAT related moment?

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited December 2014 in General 13940 karma
I'm curious. Your answer could be long / short / funny / serious. A few entries will be selected for free stuff here on 7Sage.

Edit: Contest is over, please vote! Winners will be selected (hopefully) soon.

Comments

• pjanderson5pjanderson5 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2014 238 karma
    My favorite LSAT related moment was when I got my first PT over 165 (166). I got this 2 months after I was PTing in the mid to high 140s. It was so fulfilling for me to know that I came this far after having a diagnostic of 141. It showed me that my hard work was paying off and I was not going to let a supremely low diagnostic play into me increasing my score as much as possible. Don't listen to people who say "you can only expect to improve your score 'X' amount of points" because it's BS. The only limits you have to scoring high is the limits you put on yourself.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I don't think I really have a specific moment I would consider my favorite... I would have to say whenever people reply back to posts saying how helpful it was or how it really helped a certain question make sense. Even if you're not exactly where you wanna be it is always a nice motivator to be able to sit down and type up a response to someone's questions wether it be on a specific question or a general LSAT/LS question and have a very thankful and sincere response, always a pleasant experience and it shows you how much you are actually have been improving and learning when you think back to when you would have posted the same question rather than a response to it
  • David WayneDavid Wayne Free Trial Member
    edited December 2014 571 karma
    Here's my favorite moment.

For those who have taken the test, you may recall a sticker that seals the test book itself. Typically, the proctor instructs you to remove this seal as part of the lengthy directions that precede the actual taking of the exam. Ample time is traditionally given during the period before testing actually begins (numerous friends have corroborated this for me) to make sure each student removes this sticker (it is likely there to prevent one from surreptitiously opening the test booklet during the period in which you write in your information).

My administration was different. After asking whether we had any questions, the proctor immediately said "begin", forgetting to instruct us to remove this protective sealing. Having had no time to remove this sticker, and having just cut my nails the night before, i found myself unable to quickly remove the sticker with my nails. I decided to furiously rip the front page off in an attempt to hasten this process, but ended up ripping the whole front page of my test booklet off. It was a nightmare; i expected to be swarmed by proctors who suspected me of cheating. But to my surprise, the same problem had plagued my peers (none of whom ripped off the front page of the book, however!).

I was allowed 15 seconds of extra time and my book was replaced. I scored in the 99th percentile and was admitted to a top school (thanks to 7sage, of course) but it made me quite jittery and nervous during the exam itself. So the moral of the story: be prepared for anything. And keep one of your nails sharp for that sticker.

Good luck to all those studying for this year's exams!
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    edited December 2014 802 karma
    So I guess I just have messed up priorities, but my favorite part about the LSAT has been studying, and, in particular JY's jokes that are sprinkled in the lessons. I can't remember the lesson, but I was having a crappy go of it until JY made a joke about a sacrificial chicken or something crazy like that and I lost it. Pretty sure I woke up my roommate down the hall, I was laughing so hard. Relaxed me enough to regain my concentration and finish out the lesson.

The only people I know who look back on studying for this beast with happiness are those who used 7Sage. The humor is no doubt a big part of that.

Ps: no freebies for me please, just wanted to share my story!

Edit: English
  • weilbacher.4weilbacher.4 Free Trial Member
    14 karma
    My favorite thing about LSAT related stuff is finding this site via google. I was downloading a bunch of free stuff online and did not have the money to pay for any of the Kaplan, Princeton, etc courses - stumbled upon 7sage. Soon I hope to afford it so I can begin the ultimate study session! I'm not a very good test-taker, but I'm enjoying my success so far with practice tests.
  • SnowballSnowball Member
    111 karma
    When I found I could use my logic game skills to build an agent-based model for one of my finals, a surprising bonus for taking the December test. Good luck to everyone who is still working on final exams!
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    I took the LSAT a couple of years ago. While waiting to be allowed to enter the test room, I saw a girl sitting by herself so I decided to strike up a conversation.

(after brief introductions)

Me:
    yeah, well I hope this goes well. I still feel kinda funny about Logic Games but we'll see what happens haha
    Her:
    What do you mean by Logic Games.
    Me: ....
    Oh, uh. the uh. ya know, the analytical reasoning thing.
    Her:
    hmm. i didn't study a ton, but I scored pretty high on my SATs so I'm not too concerned with standardized tests.
    Me:
    oh okay. yeah. that should help.

• KristinaKristina Alum Member
    68 karma
    A few months into studying I was driving and saw a license plate. My first thought was, "No, no! T can't be next to V."
  • shane.mcglashenshane.mcglashen Alum Member
    edited December 2014 194 karma
    Haha anytime I'm in reading comp section doing a full pt, generally around the third paragraph and very low on time, and I start laughing out loud, either because the material is just absolutely obscure (Native American controlled burning sites in relation to hardwood trees and pines ect..) or they drop a paragraph so obnoxious I cant help but imagine an LSAT creator just going 'lets throw this one in to the pile, it'll really f*ck him up' and rubbing his hands together menacingly. Either way, I'm so angry at them I always end up laughing out loud.
  • AnkushSaxAnkushSax Alum Member
    edited December 2014 59 karma
    The day before I took the actual test I was feeling nervous but I still tried to relax before the big day. In the morning when I was on my way to work I saw a license plate that read "FTH ABV" (Faith Above). When I was left work that afternoon I saw on the back of a tractor trailer truck "God Loves U." I smiled after seeing both of these and in the evening I felt a bit better and more calm about it all. Of all days to see those two things, it happened to be on the day before my LSAT; this was definitely my favorite LSAT moment.
  • reutreut Alum Member
    6 karma
    Recently had a discussion with a buddy, and actually employed JY/LSAT method of critiquing analogous arguments. Don't know how I fared on the lsat, but certainly feel as though 7sage lessons are paying off.
  • shinny117shinny117 Alum Member
    69 karma
    Listening to radio ads were never the same after studying for LSAT..."sample size flaw... generalization flaw...flaw..FLAW FLAW!!!"
  • BrittanyBBrittanyB Alum Member
    20 karma
    I think in general, just knowing LSAT lingo is pretty fun. When you're talking with someone else who is also studying for the LSAT about the LSAT and then someone else who isn't studying for it overhears what you guys are saying, the looks are usually priceless.
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    Favorite LSAT moments of mine involve recognizing invalid argument forms in daily life. Ah, the joys of understanding the limits of argument by analogy and the dangers of sufficient/necessary reversal....

http://dailybail.com/home/daily-show-comedy-glenn-beck-has-nazi-tourettes-clip.html
  • miriruchertmiriruchert Alum Member
    180 karma
    My favorite moment was remembering all the elements of the last logic game of the December 14 LSATs experimental section, including all the ordering and rules. As if I had taken a picture. However, I could not remember the subject matter at all, which baffled my husband...
  • JudyyyyyJudyyyyy Alum Member
    136 karma
    When one 7sager linked:
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    There were a lot of things that I liked about studying for the LSAT, including:
    - Getting noticeably better at undermining flawed reasoning (and at avoiding such flaws in my own reasoning).
    - Learning about random and awesome things in reading comp.
    - Meeting nice folks through my study group.

But the best one of all:
    - Feeling completely and utterly confident while writing the December test.
  • jennifer.lanjennifer.lan Member
    41 karma
    Favourite moments: when doing LR, have a super clear sense for the right answer or missing logical piece after reading the question and stimulus; and know trap answers (especially those hide in deep) when eliminate choices. Hello test makers, I know you are trying to fool me, but I am not to be fooled! Hahaha
  • msharrismsharris Alum Member
    2 karma
    My favourite part of writing the LSAT is no longer dreaming about playing logic games. I'd take a reading comp on art history any day over one of those dreams!
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma
    This is pretty awesome everyone! We're ending the contest in roughly 36 hours, so please submit your entries if you haven't done so yet. And VOTE! We'll definitely pick popular vote winners along with our favorites.
  • 55 karma
    My favorite moment in studying for the LSAT would have to be my first PT. I had printed out a few tests and accidentally combined them incorrectly - because there were just so many papers. I remember looking at the answer sheet and being so so so upset about getting like basically nothing right out of the second half of the exam. I was so down and thought wow law school should totally just not be an option…then I realized I had combined the papers incorrectly…and had actually taken two tests (half of each). LOL.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    My favorite memory is finishing the first time I took the LSAT (September 2014). Even though I didn't perform well, I was confident. And I was thrilled to finally be at...well, not a finish line but a checkpoint. I registered for a 7Sage Starter course today. I am planning on upgrading to Ultimate course when finances allow it and gearing up to retake the LSAT in June or possibly October. Hopefully there will be lots of good LSAT memories coming soon.
  • migalunamigaluna Free Trial Member
    edited December 2014 58 karma
    My favorite moment: my husband always hangs around when i listen to J.Y's logic game videos. So when i was taking practice tests I used J.Y's proctor voice. My husband goes: hey that sounds like the guy in your videos! I was like: yeah it is the same guy. He was quite baffled by the fact that you can choose your own proctor voice and one of the voices is J.Y's. I started laughing so hard at his reaction.
  • LeoFiro8LeoFiro8 Alum Member
    244 karma
    my favorite moment: is when I read enough into the whole LSAT/LSAC operation and realized what games can a nonprofit with over $150 million income come up with. Monopolized the whole system.
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    770 karma
    My favorite moment occurred during the writing section of the Dec 2014 LSAT. (Right?!) I was able to write an essay in similar fashion to the arguments made in Reading Comp: spending one paragraph explaining the side I was about to refute, then explaining how my position was better; addressing possible assumptions that would weaken my argument, etc. I felt both relieved and confident that, hey, the LSAT isn't a complete waste of time. It really tests your ability to reason - one of the hallmarks of being a good lawyer.

I definitely would not have reached this level of understanding without 7sage. I have a stronger grasp of arguments. I can "hear" causal relationships when others speak ("If I can go to the mall, then..."). It's easier to cut through weak arguments on TV, in the news, on Facebook (haha)... it's even honed my critical thinking skills. It's amazing. Is this Stockholm Syndrome? Maybe. But secretly, I enjoy the idea that the LSAT in some twisted world, has merit; that the benefits do not end with a number.

That understanding, regardless of the score I get in January, makes it all worth it.

(P.S. Discovering the Batman voice for the LSAT Proctor is a close second. :D )
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    edited December 2014 578 karma
    I don't know if the contest is already over, but generally, my favorite thing about 7sage has been JY's demeanor in his jokes in all the videos. He made me feel so much more optimistic and enthusiastic about the whole study process and law school application.

Specifically, my favorite moment was when I was watching the PT72, LG 4 explanation video. When I had taken the PT, I thought to myself, "wtf is happening???" I burst out laughing when JY started the explanation video with, "...And this is the game that everyone's like, 'wtf is happening to me right now?'" It was really comforting to know that I wasn't the only one that felt that way about that game.
  • James RayJames Ray Alum Member
    186 karma
    That moment when I got an entire Logic Game section done with 4 minutes to spare, all the while hearing JY saying in my ear getting pissed at the answers!
  • Is there really such thing as a favorite LSAT moment? The entire ordeal is just dreadful and if only my mother allowed it, I'd rather sell one of my kidneys (black market style) and live the rest of my days in Bora Bora. I guess the only time I've moderately enjoyed the LSAT is the day of; when I know that it will all be over in just four hours and I can go outside to see the sunlight for the first time in a year (at least, until scores come out and I have to crawl back into my tower of prep books). So, indirectly, thank you LSAT for helping me realize how valuable moments with friends, family, and fresh air is with the little time you give me to live my life.
  • abigneignemcapereabigneignemcapere Alum Member
    7 karma
    You Can't top this TRUE story:
    The moment my LSAT proctor told me my analog watched looked like a piece of spyware. Why? Because the day counter looked like it could be used to take photos of the exam. X thought the day counter was wide enough to be a micro-camera. X told me to leave the testing center so i could put the watch in a safe place...... then seated me in the back of the room where I could not see a clock.
  • Marie4lawschoolMarie4lawschool Alum Member
    359 karma
    Picking just one of my favorite stories -- Happened just yesterday but shows how everything LSAT and 7Sage has infiltrated my life! My daughter and I had just had a conversation with someone, trying to identify a third party to him. My daughter described the other person as blond. On our way out, she asked how we should remember the guy we'd just been talking to for next time as we only go to this place once a year or so. I immediately said "non-blond" in contrast to her saying brunette. JY has taught me well -- in logic, negation is a binary cut :-)
  • naveedhalavinaveedhalavi Alum Member
    124 karma
    I'd have to say the dream i had about the LSAT... it involved me waking up in the morning, getting to the test center on time, sitting down and turning to the page to see a logical reasoning section. The first question had no question stem, and the stimulus only said "YES" in big block letters. The answer choices were A) Yes, B) No, C) Maybe, and D) Refrigerator.... that was by far the funniest and most memorable LSAT related moment to date.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    578 karma
    Favorite moment is when I did my first homework && got the first 20 questions all right. Then I started crying after that when I got to flaw questions
  • Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
    edited December 2014 3074 karma
    First a big thank you to everyone for participating! You all make 7Sage a wonderful place with your thoughtful contributions, and warmhearted support for one another.

Please join us in congratulating the four winners of this contest, who now have $50 Amazon giftcards waiting for them in their email inboxes:

The 180 Bro
    turnercm
    Sharon Wayne
    pjanderson5

Happy holidays everyone!
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    770 karma
    Oh wow! Thank you guys so much!!!! <3
  • pjanderson5pjanderson5 Free Trial Member
    238 karma
    Thank you 7sage! I never win anything!
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐