Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement

Michael MaMichael Ma Alum Member

For those that are currently applying to law schools, I was wondering how much you guys tweaked your PS for each application. My generic statement is two, double-spaced, pages, but some of the schools I'm applying to allows up to four double-spaced pages. Are you guys sticking to the generic PS, or are you guys adding additional stuff into your PS for schools that allow longer PS?

Comments

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

I'm in the process of writing 4 versions. Long and short, with law school/no law school.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Just because they allow up to 4 pages does not mean that they necessarily want or expect you to reach the maximum. I think a well-written 2 page PS is sufficient regardless of the school's maximum.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

The shorter the better since law schools will have a number of statements that they must go through. Remember, people are always more likely to read a short story that gets the point across strategically than read a long essay.

• maamedufiekmaamedufiek Alum Member
    34 karma

I suggest you choose quality over quantity.

• keishabarnes95keishabarnes95 Alum Member
    edited October 2017 59 karma

They generally prefer 2 pages. I was reading a book by Anna Ivey, who was a former admissions officer for Chicago and she said they dread applications that land with a thud on their desk. She said to make sure your personal statement is as pristine as possible. It can be longer they just prefer shorter. Tell a story as opposed to one talking about everything you already listed in the résumé (which tends to run you into the longer pages).