PT2.S2.Q24 - There is little point in looking to artists...

hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
edited April 2023 in Logical Reasoning 342 karma

Can anyone clarify why E is correct?
I chose E indirectly after eliminating other four answer choices.
Explanation for other answers:
[DIAGRAM]
Artist --most-> Hold less insightful political views than well educated non-artist
Artist statement --few-> Artistic talent =/= Political insight
[ANSWER CHOICES]
A ) Non-artist?
B ) Thorough education?
C ) Again, non-artist?
D ) Politicians?
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2017 9382 karma

You are right that all the other ACs are obviously wrong, but I can't figure out how (E) must be true either.

I feel like this question implies that:
    Most of X are Y = Some of X are not Y.

But most includes all....I guess the word "rarely" in the last sentence may be the key. It implies that artistic talent and political insight are sometimes found together. If anything, I think this question should be an MSS question.

This is interesting, so I would like to hear what @"Cant Get Right" thinks! (or @"J.Y. Ping" even...!)

This test is from the final year of the Cold War....so it's very, very old.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27861 karma

Yeah, it's definitely the "rarely." This is a clever construction. They set us up with a bias so that we mistake what the last line actually says. Read "rarely" as a "some" statement that's excluding the "most" range. If I tell you that my dog rarely bites people, you're going to infer some overlap with "my dog" and "bites people." In that example, it's the exact same thing except your bias is primed to make the overlap rather than to ignore it. It works the same way though.

• hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
    342 karma

@akistotle @"Cant Get Right" Thank you both!

• Clemens_Clemens_ Live Member
    299 karma

Note to self: "Most" on the LSAT includes the possibility of "All." The "rarely" in this question thus must mean "sometimes."