Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Alright fine. I'll take the damn GRE....STUPID DREAMS THAT SEEM UNREACHABLE

https://media.giphy.com/media/22CEvbj04nLLq/giphy.gif

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

oh look @LSATcantwin found live footage of me screaming at my desk ...

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING! :( :( :( Everytime I see another school accepting the GRE I feel like I'm wasting my time with the LSAT *sobs uncontrollably

• nicole.brooklynnicole.brooklyn Alum Member
    341 karma

Schools accepting the GRE worry me because I feel like they won’t go through the trouble of accepting GRE scores and then not accept any of these new applicants.... which makes the total number of seats available for LSAT takers smaller, assuming their overall class sizes don’t increase... which means they won’t need to accept some people with below median LSAT numbers they would have overwise accepted to fill their class... which leads to an inflated LSAT median for this cycle.

This, of course, assumes there are a considerable number of people who will take the GRE, realize they can apply to law school, apply, and actually accept a seat. I’m pretty skeptical that these people exist in large numbers.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"nicole.burdakin" said:
    Schools accepting the GRE worry me because I feel like they won’t go through the trouble of accepting GRE scores and then not accept any of these new applicants.... which makes the total number of seats available for LSAT takers smaller, assuming their overall class sizes don’t increase... which means they won’t need to accept some people with below median LSAT numbers they would have overwise accepted to fill their class... which leads to an inflated LSAT median for this cycle.

This, of course, assumes there are a considerable number of people who will take the GRE, realize they can apply to law school, apply, and actually accept a seat. I’m pretty skeptical that these people exist in large numbers.

Yeah, I thought of that possibility and completely agree.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

NO.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited October 2017 12637 karma
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

Who's the Next One?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@dennisgerrard said:
    Who's the Next One?

Guessing Cornell. But that's not based off of anything, haha.

1644 karma

I guess it's UW:)

• PositivePositive Alum Member
    426 karma

I can only imagine it will be getting harder to get into top schools.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

Should we start studying for GRE!?!? I know someone who studied for GRE for a week and scored 99 percentile. I said “F%$#” when I heard that story.

9372 karma

@akistotle said:
    Should we start studying for GRE!?!? I know someone who studied for GRE for a week and scored 99 percentile. I said “F%$#” when I heard that story.

There are geniuses who score 99 percentile on the LSAT without studying, but my impression is that GRE is easier.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@akistotle said:

@akistotle said:

There are geniuses who score 99 percentile on the LSAT without studying, but my impression is that GRE is easier.

I've heard that the GRE is cake compared to the LSAT..

edited October 2017 9372 karma

So Columbia will start accepting GRE in the next cycle (2018-2019 cycle), correct? At the end of this cycle, we will know how many got accepted to HLS using GRE....

Hey @LSATcantwin, it seems like we have to stick to LSAT for now.

At this point, the GRE is only good for students who have never taken an LSAT. If LSAT score, then it must be reported meaning it dominates.

— Dave Killoran (@DaveKilloran) October 17, 2017

They are wrong. If an applicant has an LSAT score, it MUST be reported to the ABA. So, there's no hi GRE/low LSAT possibility at top schools

• theLSATgrind2017theLSATgrind2017 Alum Member
    440 karma

@"Kings Never Die" said:
    I can only imagine it will be getting harder to get into top schools.

And my anxiety level just increased ten fold.

13286 karma

@akistotle said:
    So Columbia will start accepting GRE in the next cycle (2018-2019 cycle), correct? At the end of this cycle, we will know how many got accepted to HLS using GRE....

At this point, the GRE is only good for students who have never taken an LSAT. If LSAT score, then it must be reported meaning it dominates.

They are wrong. If an applicant has an LSAT score, it MUST be reported to the ABA. So, there's no hi GRE/low LSAT possibility at top schools

Why does that kill the possibility of high GRE low LSAT? Can’t you just report both? Then you still have the LSAT but can say “look at my GRE to back up my story that I’m good enough”?

9372 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@akistotle said:

Why does that kill the possibility of high GRE low LSAT? Can’t you just report both? Then you still have the LSAT but can say “look at my GRE to back up my story that I’m good enough”?

Because they have to report LSAT scores to ABA...? I don't know. That's what Dave Killoran says.

We queried each school on this, they all said if LSAT score exists, it will be used. But change is afoot, and I'd suspect it changes later

This is what Spivey Consulting says:

Just wait until next year then it will start really mattering. Or maybe two from now. Whenever ABA blanket permissions it

— Spivey Consulting (@SpiveyConsult) October 17, 2017
    1644 karma

What about someone who cancelled or/and withdrew from LSAT? The situation is becoming more interesting now.

9372 karma

@dennisgerrard said:
    What about someone who cancelled or/and withdrew from LSAT? The situation is becoming more interesting now.

I guess if there are no reportable LSAT scores, they would take GRE scores.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@akistotle said:

@dennisgerrard said:

I seriously just realized I screwed myself via this post because my LSAT score expires this year and if I hadn't taken last month I wouldn't have ANY .... :'(

edited October 2017 9372 karma

I guess they prefer people who go like, "I was thinking of studying political science in grad school but I already have a perfect GRE score, so maybe I should apply to law schools?" to people like me who spend years studying for the LSAT.

https://m.popkey.co/82d9e7/p8xJA.gif

9372 karma

@sillllyxo said:

@akistotle said:

@dennisgerrard said:

I seriously just realized I screwed myself via this post because my LSAT score expires this year and if I hadn't taken last month I wouldn't have ANY .... :'(

I will have to wait another five years...:cry:

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@akistotle said:

@sillllyxo said:

@akistotle said:

@dennisgerrard said:

I will have to wait another five years...:cry:

srsly feel like i just shot myself in the foot

1644 karma

I like your hypothesis @akistotle

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

Please remeber if you have LSAT on file your GRE will not be the score they use!!!!

If you've already taken the LSAT the GRE doesn't count.

So pick now.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

It is hard to see that if HLS, Columbia, Northwestern take GRE that the Penns, UVAs, NYUs will be able to resist. Perhaps YLS and Stanford will hold out, but I bet everyone from Columbia on down goes GRE.

893 karma

My guess is that the GRE applicants who were not thinking of law school will not be flooding the pool however. And the reason is the high cost of tuition.

As someone in this category, lots of people in their 40s and on have mortgages, kids to put through college, a big investment in their existing careers, etc. and would have fewer years in the legal work community to make the investment pay off. Plus, law school is a real thing to do, not some fluff vanity degree that people do because they are bored.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

Yeah I would be surprised if this has any real impact on admissions stats, at least over the next few years...second what a lot of others said in that I feel like the number of people who would end up applying with only a GRE score are probably people who haven't put a ton of thought into law school anyway.

I would also hope that as schools who begin accepting the GRE, there will be more detailed info released on behalf of their admissions committees about how they compare it to the LSAT. Like is a super high GRE the equivalent of a 178 or something? I would be a little nervous to apply to a law school with just a GRE score at this point, even if it was a great score...I feel like this is some sort of scheme....

I considered grad school when I was just out of college and studied for the GRE..never took it so this isn't a completely accurate statement, but to me it seemed like there is absolutely no comparison in terms of difficulty or the amount of effort required to score in the 90+ percentile.

edited October 2017 13286 karma

@stepharizona said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Please remeber if you have LSAT on file your GRE will not be the score they use!!!!

If you've already taken the LSAT the GRE doesn't count.

So pick now.

So what if it doesn’t count? What if I take it and write and addendum explaining my score on TOP of my lsat? Lol

4196 karma

@akistotle said:
    I guess they prefer people who go like, "I was thinking of studying political science in grad school but I already have a perfect GRE score, so maybe I should apply to law schools?" to people like me who spend years studying for the LSAT.

https://m.popkey.co/82d9e7/p8xJA.gif

yup, I feel like I've wasted almost 2 years on the LSAT when I could have studied for the GRE in a week (a bit of an exaggeration, but come on, is it really? let's be honest) and would have a shot at Columbia and Harvard :cry:

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

Here's a thought which might lift some spirits. If we all know the LSAT is harder than the GRE, I bet law schools know the LSAT is harder than the GRE. If law schools know the LSAT is harder than the GRE they might give a good LSAT score a bump vs. a good GRE score, all things being equal. If all this is true, then I don't think we'd have necessarily wasted our time with the LSAT.

4196 karma

@"Rigid Designator" said:
    Here's a thought which might lift some spirits. If we all know the LSAT is harder than the GRE, I bet law schools know the LSAT is harder than the GRE. If law schools know the LSAT is harder than the GRE they might give a good LSAT score a bump vs. a good GRE score, all things being equal. If all this is true, then I don't think we'd have necessarily wasted our time with the LSAT.

who knows. I mean, I still feel like most of their admitted students will be based off of LSAT scores and not GRE scores. Idk, just an idea though.

Also, your post read like an LR inference question haha.. or no? or am I the only idiot who has let the LSAT consume them? I'm the only one? k cool, brb gonna apply to cooley because correlation DOES imply causation!!!!! sorry I'm just really bored.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

I think they need to adjust the LSAT difficulty level comparable to that of GRE, if the latter is gonna be widely accepted which seems to be the trend. Otherwise I have a hard time seeing how the LSAT would/could persist.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@tringo335 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING! :( :( :( Everytime I see another school accepting the GRE I feel like I'm wasting my time with the LSAT *sobs uncontrollably

All I saw was "sobs" and I was like, ooh, she's mad! Lol I kept reading though. All's well! LMAO

• nicole.brooklynnicole.brooklyn Alum Member
    edited January 2018 341 karma

I took the GRE about 6 years ago, and here’s my thoughts re: difficulty, pros/cons.

The GRE is similar to but more difficult than the SAT, but only because the GRE is digital and recalculates based on how well you do on your first sections. If you ace the first English and math sections, you’ll receive very difficult second English and math sections. If you get this very hard second English section, it’s comparable to a hard LSAT RC section—not a walk in the park by any means. The GRE’s all on computer, and you can sign up to take it almost any time you want. You go in, you’re the only one taking the GRE usually, you leave your stuff in a locker, and you sit at a computer station with other people taking other sorts of tests in the same room. You don’t all start at the same time; you don’t all finish at the same time. The LSAT writing process is so highly ritualized that it’s very stressful... the GRE lacks all of that pomp and show.

The GRE is interesting because almost all graduate students end up taking it... math or physics PhDs, anthropology MAs, poetry MFAs, etc. So a lot of people tend to score highly in one section, particularly math since there are mathematicians taking a math test that doesn’t even have calculus on it.

Anecdotally, without studying, I was in the 90-92nd percentile on the GRE, and my LSAT diagnostic was 85th-ish percentile. I did well on the SAT, and I’m slightly better at math than RC, so maybe the GRE just plays to my strengths more than the LSAT.

Part of the difficulty of the LSAT for me is the sustained level of difficulty/intensity throughout the test. The first two sections on the GRE are only moderately difficult, and then if things are going well, you’ll get two actually hard sections. Alternatively, if things aren’t going well, you’ll get two soft-ball sections, realize you bombed the first two, cancel your score, and get on with your day. The LSAT is a whole other animal... you have no idea what section’s coming when, and it could all potentially be very hard. Then, you’re left with thoughts of canceling, speculation on the curve, etc., for weeks, whereas you get your GRE score before you leave the test site.

• CIICII.LOPEZCIICII.LOPEZ Free Trial Member
    15 karma

The GRE is way easier than the LSAT.. I studied two months for it and got 335.. I haven't taken the LSAT yet maybe I should try my luck. Only thing that sucks is I want to go UMiami law ?

3679 karma

@tanes256 said:

@tringo335 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

All I saw was "sobs" and I was like, ooh, she's mad! Lol I kept reading though. All's well! LMAO

Hahahaha!! Lol!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Rigid Designator" said:

That assumes the law schools motivation is to obtain the most qualified candidates. If we assume instead that their goal is to raise their US News ranking then it will be how law schools believe that USNews will weigh the GRE against the LSAT which will mainly determine how the law schools will weigh the two.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@"Heart Shaped Box" said:
    I think they need to adjust the LSAT difficulty level comparable to that of GRE, if the latter is gonna be widely accepted which seems to be the trend. Otherwise I have a hard time seeing how the LSAT would/could persist.

Completely agree with @"nicole.burdakin" 's assessment of the GRE.

The LSAT is just going to be taken more seriously, at least for the foreseeable future. Again, everyone who is in tears over this should just wait and actually see how many people and what types of stats they have are taking the GRE and gaining acceptance to law schools. I would venture to guess that they will have great GPAs and 90th%-tile+ GRE scores. I do tend to think the GRE is "easier" if you're decent at math. But I think it's just as hard to score in the higher percentiles, which is what you'll likely need to score if you want chance of admissions of a top school. I also think people are just looking for what's "easier" but the thing is if you're struggling with the LSAT I don't think you'll find the GRE that much easier...

The effects of these schools accepting the GRE will likely not make a difference for at least 3-5 years.

I think eventually it will be like the GMAT vs. GRE is right now for MBA programs. The GMAT is seen as more serious/reliable, but many schools take the GRE too.

In the end, nothing has really changed since business schools take both. People who are serious about business schools take the GMAT. Those who take the GRE usually are just looking for something to do after they graduate.

3679 karma

Is the GRE really that much easier than the LSAT? I am very, very bad at math .. I mean can't divide 10 and 2 bad ... I feel like even though the LSAT is intense, the questions come more naturally to me since there's zero math involved.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited October 2017 2426 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Heart Shaped Box" said:

Completely agree with @"nicole.burdakin" 's assessment of the GRE.

The LSAT is just going to be taken more seriously, at least for the foreseeable future. Again, everyone who is in tears over this should just wait and actually see how many people and what types of stats they have are taking the GRE and gaining acceptance to law schools. I would venture to guess that they will have great GPAs and 90th%-tile+ GRE scores. I do tend to think the GRE is "easier" if you're decent at math. But I think it's just as hard to score in the higher percentiles, which is what you'll likely need to score if you want chance of admissions of a top school. I also think people are just looking for what's "easier" but the thing is if you're struggling with the LSAT I don't think you'll find the GRE that much easier...

The effects of these schools accepting the GRE will likely not make a difference for at least 3-5 years.

I think eventually it will be like the GMAT vs. GRE is right now for MBA programs. The GMAT is seen as more serious/reliable, but many schools take the GRE too.

Oh I'm taking the LSAT regardless, there is no turning back now. I never thought the GRE would be "a walk in the park" by any measure, nor have I ever uttered similar statements. I do however lean towards the "overall" difficulty levels of the two tests as not being completely objectively comparable to certain extent. Just based on the format/content of the tests, length of the reading, etc. (just the fact no LG, which is a completely new animal takes many folks months and months for that section alone) But then again, I don't really know much about the GRE so what do I know? You raised a good point with a good example between the GMAT and GRE, the reason I think it's a very good example is bc personally, I actually do believe the two tests are close enough to be comparable, but so far I'm not sure if I would go as far as saying the same thing between the LSAT and the GRE...

But your right, let's wait and see what the stats indicate eventually.

893 karma

Yeah, I agree with the above posters. Accepting the GRE will get Harvard more applicants, for sure. But, where is it written that they will accept even one of these GRE applicants? It could really just be a way to goose yield as HLS slipped a notch.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@tringo335 said:
    Is the GRE really that much easier than the LSAT? I am very, very bad at math .. I mean can't divide 10 and 2 bad ... I feel like even though the LSAT is intense, the questions come more naturally to me since there's zero math involved.

I'm with you - I'm struggling with the LSAT but no way am I doing math. I'd rather just not go to any school if math is a requirement!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

logic is kinda a type of math ;)

From my experience, no. It's not that much easier to score well on the GRE. IT really comes down to your skills. Many people stop taking math courses in undergrad and end up having to relearn all the math on the GRE. That sucks!

2134 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

well, I know... but you know what I mean... like real math...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

Yeah, just busting your chops, lol.

2134 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LCMama2017 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

Yeah, just busting your chops, lol.

Ha!

• bornsinner123bornsinner123 Free Trial Member
    19 karma

I've read a little bit about the GRE Score Choice policy, which allows candidates to select which schools to report their scores to. Thus, wouldn't individuals who have yet to sit for either the GRE or the LSAT, be able to take a GRE, see what they score, and then decide whether or not to even report it? Or, would these schools openly stating that they will consider all GRE/LSAT scores taken over the previous five years holistically, mean that students will be forced to report every score?

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/about/scoreselect/

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

If you take the LSAT under current rules, it's the score that must be reported to the ABA.

If you have a GRE and an LSAT only the LSAT is considered.

If you only have a GRE and No LSAT they take the GRE score.

I asked for clarification on this yesterday with Dave K and taking the GRE if youn already have an LSAT will do nothing for you.

Also see that a few of the schools saying they take the GRE have conditions beyond the no LSAT. Some require that you're applying to a Dual Enrollment program.

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    315 karma

@stepharizona said:
    If you take the LSAT under current rules, it's the score that must be reported to the ABA.

If you have a GRE and an LSAT only the LSAT is considered.

If you only have a GRE and No LSAT they take the GRE score.

I asked for clarification on this yesterday with Dave K and taking the GRE if youn already have an LSAT will do nothing for you.

Also see that a few of the schools saying they take the GRE have conditions beyond the no LSAT. Some require that you're applying to a Dual Enrollment program.

This is really useful to know. Thank you for sharing this!