PT31.S2.Q18 - not all works of art

lsatyayylsatyayy Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Logical Reasoning 178 karma

Hi

Can anyone tell me why this question " the reasoning above is questionable because it fails to exclude the possibility that." is not "fails to include"? Doesn't "fails to exclude" imply that the reasoning included such idea, and by doing to, the logic fails?

I thought the reasoning was flawed, because the possibility was not considered in which case the question stem should read "fail to include".

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-31-section-2-question-18/

Comments

• lsatyayylsatyayy Alum Member
    178 karma
  • akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9382 karma

I think of it as this way:

The argument fails to exclude the possibility
    = The argument fails to eliminate the possibility
    = The argument does not eliminate the possibility
    ≈ The argument does not consider the possibility

The argument is questionable because it did not rule out the possibility that "X can do Y." So the argument would be better if it did say "X cannot do Y."

178 karma

Hi Thanks but this question's answer actually implies this arg would be better if it did not say "X can do Y"

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2017 9382 karma

P: Representation = aesthetically relevant → Context-dependent.
    P: There are no clear criteria for determining whether context-dependent properties are present in an object. (= We can't determine representation is present)
    ——
    C: There cannot be any clear criteria for determining whether an object qualifies as art.

But the argument does not consider there might be other criteria for determining whether an object qualifies as art.

So the argument would be better if it did say that other aesthetically relevant properties cannot determine whether an object qualifies as art. In other words, if the argument excluded the possibility that aesthetically relevant properties can determine whether an object qualifies as art, it would be strengthened. If it said that only representation can determine whether the object qualifies as art (I think the argument assumes this without saying), then I think the argument stands.

178 karma

Oh wow. I see now. Who are you? LSAT genius?

Thank you!!!!