Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying at the Gym

jzzravenjzzraven Alum Member
in General 140 karma

Has anyone had luck studying while working out - particularly doing cardio? I've tried drilling while on the treadmill but find it tough to write steadily. Any ideas/suggestions on other ways to be productive while at the gym?

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@jzzraven IDK about drilling. That's seems impossible but I do watch webinars are rewatch certain lessons that I had issues with.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@jzzraven said:
    Has anyone had luck studying while working out - particularly doing cardio? I've tried drilling while on the treadmill but find it tough to write steadily. Any ideas/suggestions on other ways to be productive while at the gym?

Stop being a crazy person and keep these activities separate, that's my advice. You need to focus to study, and you need to focus to workout effectively. Don't try to be Superman.

• jzzravenjzzraven Alum Member
    140 karma

You're so right @goingfor99th but with my crazy full time work schedule most days I have to choose one or the other and ..... por que no los dos?

@tanes256 thanks so much that's a great idea!!! A brilliant time to watch webinars.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Don't studying while working out. Have working out be a break from studying.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@jzzraven said:

I did all my Logical Reasoning review which sadly for my fitness wasn't all that much while running in my neighborhood. Whenever I missed a LR question on a PT or was uncertain I took a picture of it. I then scrolled through these pictures on my phone while running. I started out pretty good at LR so it's difficult to say whether it helped, but it worked logistically since there is almost no writing. It's not cardio, but I did the same thing while working on improving my balance from an ancle sprained while hiking.

If you are already studying a ton, exercise may be a cathartic break from studying. But, if you are struggling to get enough hours of study in, it is an opportunity. You might be able to rewatch core curriculum LR videos while exercising too. I'd focus on LR because it involves the least writing and looking between pages.

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    315 karma

Just, no.
    Why are you trying to mix the 2 sessions together?
    Is working out absolutely necessary for your health? I ask because, well, studying diligently for the LSAT is absolutely necessary to get into law school.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@jzzraven said:

I don't do any kind of writing while working out. However, I have watched some of JY videos while on the treadmill so perhaps you could watch videos too.

I don't understand all the nasty comments - to each their own.

• pbenjamin57pbenjamin57 Alum Member
    112 karma

I say no to drilling while doing any kind of workout. I can see one making an attempt to drill on a stationary bike, but nothing significant would be gained (I think one wouldn't be able to maintain the attention necessary to retain/gain anything). HOWEVER, If you want to keep engaged in something LSAT related that could help while at the gym then I would suggest listening to a podcast. I recommend the LSAT Kung Fu podcast. You might hear some useful idea's and revisit after the workout. As for drilling- don't waist your time.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Yeaaaaaah don't lol.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@jzzraven said:

I did all my Logical Reasoning review which sadly for my fitness wasn't all that much while running in my neighborhood. Whenever I missed a LR question on a PT or was uncertain I took a picture of it. I then scrolled through these pictures on my phone while running. I started out pretty good at LR so it's difficult to say whether it helped, but it worked logistically since there is almost no writing. It's not cardio, but I did the same thing while working on improving my balance from an ancle sprained while hiking.

If you are already studying a ton, exercise may be a cathartic break from studying. But, if you are struggling to get enough hours of study in, it is an opportunity. You might be able to rewatch core curriculum LR videos while exercising too. I'd focus on LR because it involves the least writing and looking between pages.

whoa. You were running with your phone in your face? Sounds dangerous especially if you live in a city lol

OP, i'd keep it separate. you can only sit and stare/read for so long. it's good to take breaks especially with exercise.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

I'm all about making GAINZZZZZZZ, but I don't think the gym is the best environment for LSAT studying.

• partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    424 karma

@jzzraven said:
    but with my crazy full time work schedule most days I have to choose one or the other and ..... por que no los dos?

I feel your struggle! I've tried to think of ways to pull study time out of gym time too. The best I could do to meaningfully "study" was to complete simple mental tasks.

For example, I downloaded the Quizlet app and saved flashcards made by @LetsHigh5 (https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/7890). I had some success studying the flashcards for lawgic indicators and common logical fallacies, although a 45 minute gym session became a bit long to just run through two sets of flashcards lol. When I didn't bring my phone to the gym, I'd try to mentally list off as many of the lawgic indicators as I could. I liked to think it helped me stay focused for when I would start studying at home after working out. Sometimes it did, other times it didn't. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the LSAT is all about learning how to think, not memorization. That, as I think you know, makes it tough to effectively study while multitasking.

One other thing I tried was brainstorming personal statement ideas while on a stationary exercise bike. Again, it kept me thinking about law school applications. But I can't say that any great ideas came from the exercise bike brainstorming sessions.

In short, I'd say experiment and see what works for you. I wouldn't expect to do any hardcore studying in the gym. But maybe you can use your time to just be thinking LSAT thoughts. Maybe gym time is a good time to think about and practice how you're going to stay sharp during the 15 minute break (https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2683). Or maybe, as many have suggested, gym time is a good time to relax and enjoy focusing on something other than work or the LSAT, a time to help yourself avoid LSAT burnout. I think there's good that can come from whatever you choose to do. Good luck! :smiley:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@jzzraven said:

I'd recommend just getting some time away from the LSAT. I think that is as important as studying for the LSAT. Cannot tell you how many times I've taken 1-2 days off only to come back and score my best on a particular section.

• partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    424 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    Stop being a crazy person and keep these activities separate, that's my advice. You need to focus to study, and you need to focus to workout effectively. Don't try to be Superman.

@jzzraven I think @goingfor99th makes a good point here. It all depends on what you're looking to get out of your gym time. If you just want to move your body, try some of the things I've suggested above. But if you're trying to actually work out, focus on that.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I totally feel you on this post. Working full time, and having to work out every day per doctor's orders for health reasons, sometimes I wish I could do both at the same time. The most I think you could do, like @tanes256 said is watching videos. I have watched a couple videos while working out but it's mostly ones that are reviewing a section I'm already familiar with. You're running into dangerous territory if you try to multi-task while watching the curriculum because soon it just turns into noise and you aren't truly learning. :(

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I realized a while ago while trying to read books while on the elliptical that for some reason my brain can't process visual info while exercising. Audio is fine, but reading just does not allow anything to sink in! I'd get to the end of a page and realize I could not remember a single thing I had read haha.

I'd recommend taking that time to either relax and get your brain off the LSAT for a bit, or listen to law or LSAT-related podcasts, if you want to keep engaged somehow.

Kudos for trying to multi-task, but our brains are only capable of processing so much at the same time. Take a break. :)

• PenAndSwordPenAndSword Member
    7 karma

I've been listening to podcasts like RadioLab and the Economist podcast while jogging/cycling. Mostly I try my hand at picking out subjects, main conclusions, etc, and trying to visualize picking apart the sentences in my head. I can't say it's quite drilling, but at the very least it's interesting and makes the workout go way faster lol

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma
    3679 karma

Haha! Now that I'm studying for the LSAT I always get bitter when that montage comes on lol

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@tringo335 I know! We all thought that was possible before we actually started studying for this test....

3679 karma

@akistotle said:
    @tringo335 I know! We all thought that was possible before we actually started studying for this test....

Right!lol!

• LetsHigh5LetsHigh5 Alum Member
    703 karma

I agree with a lot of what's been said. I would recommend some additional podcasts (with the first two being most relevant to LSAT/law school, and the rest being of general interest for law):

LSAT
    - "The Thinking LSAT" . There's a lot of fluff and non-LSAT conversation, but you can pull out some interesting tips/strategies, too. (http://www.thinkinglsat.com/blog/)

LAW SCHOOL
    - "The Law School Toolbox". A wealth of information from two hosts who specialize in helping 1Ls get started on the right track. (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast/)

LAW
    - "Thinking Like a Lawyer" (from Above the Law) (https://abovethelaw.com/tag/thinking-like-a-lawyer-podcast/). Short, pragmatic episodes about basically of applying for law school and types of law

• PenAndSwordPenAndSword Member
    7 karma

Definitely going to add Constitutional and First Mondays to my list!

• LetsHigh5LetsHigh5 Alum Member
    703 karma

@PenAndSword : you must give "More Perfect" and "We the people", a listen, too.

As a sample from each, I would recommend:

More Perfect's episode on "The Batson Rule" (i.e. preventing race-based juror selection) (http://www.wnyc.org/story/object-anyway/)

We the People's episode on "The Future of Digital Speech" (https://constitutioncenter.org/experience/programs-initiatives/podcasts/P10)