Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Columbia Law accepting GRE scores in Fall 2018

2»

Comments

• bornsinner123bornsinner123 Free Trial Member
    19 karma

@stepharizona said:
    If you take the LSAT under current rules, it's the score that must be reported to the ABA.

If you have a GRE and an LSAT only the LSAT is considered.

If you only have a GRE and No LSAT they take the GRE score.

I asked for clarification on this yesterday with Dave K and taking the GRE if youn already have an LSAT will do nothing for you.

Also see that a few of the schools saying they take the GRE have conditions beyond the no LSAT. Some require that you're applying to a Dual Enrollment program.

So if you haven't taken the LSAT, you could try to take the GRE first and see how you perform, correct? I'm wondering if since you can make a decision on whether or not to report your GRE score, that route might be ideal for individuals who are not too deep into LSAT prep yet. Whereas if you had taken the LSAT first, that score is automatically considered.

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

I have a GRE score that expires in three days! I would never actually submit it because I only took it because it was required (the schools didn't actually care what your score was as long as it wasn't abysmal). Though that 5 on writing is looking pretty solid :-p

• Hamaseh_SHamaseh_S Alum Member
    edited October 2017 436 karma

@bornsinner123 said:

@stepharizona said:
    If you take the LSAT under current rules, it's the score that must be reported to the ABA.

I asked for clarification on this yesterday with Dave K and taking the GRE if youn already have an LSAT will do nothing for you.

Also see that a few of the schools saying they take the GRE have conditions beyond the no LSAT. Some require that you're applying to a Dual Enrollment program.

So if you haven't taken the LSAT, you could try to take the GRE first and see how you perform, correct? I'm wondering if since you can make a decision on whether or not to report your GRE score, that route might be ideal for individuals who are not too deep into LSAT prep yet. Whereas if you had taken the LSAT first, that score is automatically considered.

Ya and to piggyback off that for those of us who haven't taken a test yet - do you think a high GRE score will have the same "saving" effect as a high LSAT score? Like you know how a super high LSAT can trump your GPA significantly ... that's the effect I'm wondering about

• SteFunny-1-1-1SteFunny-1-1-1 Core Member
    224 karma

Wow, this is the school I am aiming for. Now my question is, the LSAT score determines potential scholarship money, will the GRE score determine that as well? ?

• bornsinner123bornsinner123 Free Trial Member
    19 karma

@Hamaseh_S said:

@bornsinner123 said:

@stepharizona said:

Ya and to piggyback off that for those of us who haven't taken a test yet - do you think a high GRE score will have the same "saving" effect as a high LSAT score? Like you know how a super high LSAT can trump your GPA significantly ... that's the effect I'm wondering about

@SVICTORIA said:
    Wow, this is the school I am aiming for. Now my question is, the LSAT score determines potential scholarship money, will the GRE score determine that as well? ?

Yeah, there definitely seems to be a lot of question marks as of now. I assume that such scores will be considered in terms of percentile. But I also came across an article that quoted an admissions consultant, who reported that schools may not have to report GRE scores over a 3.87 GPA threshold under current guidelines.

https://gre.economist.com/gre-advice/graduate-school-admissions/which-exam-take/gre-vs-lsat-which-exam-should-you-apply-harvard-law

• LSATPrabLSATPrab Alum Member
    76 karma

damn, I hope none of this affects Canadian law schools :neutral: