PT3.S4.Q9

Can someone help me understand the following phrase within the stimulus?
"This willingness is even more revealing than is good-natured acquiescence in having others poke fun at one".

In other websites, I see many people making connections between hearing funny story about oneself and self-confidence (Hearing funny story about oneself -> Self-confidence). I don't understand how they make such connection.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited October 2017 1363 karma

@d931n027h said:
    Can someone help me understand the following phrase within the stimulus?
    "This willingness is even more revealing than is good-natured acquiescence in having others poke fun at one".

In other websites, I see many people making connections between hearing funny story about oneself and self-confidence (Hearing funny story about oneself -> Self-confidence). I don't understand how they make such connection.

Thank you in advance!

Both, good-natured acquiescence and the willingness to tell funny stories/jokes about oneself, are considered as signals of supreme self-confidence.

The first sentence talks about how the "willingness to tell jokes about oneself" is the surest way of knowing that a person has self-confidence. The second sentence - the one you quoted above - compares it to good-natured acquiescence (the ability to tolerate others' jokes targeted at you), and renders it as a strong, but not quite as revealing of a person's self-confidence as the willingness to make oneself the subject of his/her own jokes.

That's why one can reasonably infer that there are at least two factors which signal supreme self-confidence from the passage - one being the willingness to tell jokes about oneself; the second being good-natured acquiescence. The former, however, is more 'revealing' of one's self-confidence.

Therefore, it's a two part argument:

Hearing funny story about oneself (good-natured acquiescence) -> Self-confidence, is one part.
    Willingness to tell a joke -> SC, is the other part.

The correct (AC A) is basically the contrapositive of the above.

• hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
    342 karma

You are awesome! @thisissparta !!!! Thank you so much! I get it now!

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    1363 karma

@d931n027h said:
    You are awesome! @thisissparta !!!! Thank you so much! I get it now!

Glad I could help!! :)