Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Routine for Improving LR Questions

TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member

I am currently starting to go over LR once again to really improve and I want to make changes to how I approach improving each type of question.

This question is applicable to all LR type questions, but I want to know what your routine is for improving a certain type of LR question. Do you do problem sets and then drill an entire LR section. Just problem sets? Timed? Not timed? I think you see where I'm going with this. I've also gone through the CC twice so many of the problem sets are familiar to me and it hurts my objectivity sometimes.

I just want to hear your different ways to about this. Thanks y'all!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    I am currently starting to go over LR once again to really improve and I want to make changes to how I approach improving each type of question.

This question is applicable to all LR type questions, but I want to know what your routine is for improving a certain type of LR question. Do you do problem sets and then drill an entire LR section. Just problem sets? Timed? Not timed? I think you see where I'm going with this. I've also gone through the CC twice so many of the problem sets are familiar to me and it hurts my objectivity sometimes.

I just want to hear your different ways to about this. Thanks y'all!

I advocate doing most of your question type specific drilling untimed. Your purpose behind these types of drills should be accuracy and understanding, which, in turn, will translate to speed. However, sometimes I AM strictly trying to increase my speed, so I will do exercises where I do timed question type drilling.

I always try to drill with a purpose. So if there's a particular question type or skill I am trying to improve on, I drill specific sets.

Otherwise, if I'm just generally practicing or drilling, I do both timed and untimed sections. Usually the former, but I think which type you're doing is largely a function of where you're at in your prep. If you're hitting your goal score I think timed work is generally the way to go. Until then, there's room for both timed and untimed work, in my opinion.

What specifically are you trying to improve on with each LR question type? I'm assuming if you've completed the CC twice that you know the fundamentals. Is it accuracy, speed, or a mixture of both? Are there certain types that are giving you more trouble?

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@"Alex Divine" Thanks! Well I have had a lot of "Life gets in the way" moments and I'm coming off a couple of months hiatus.

I've been fool proofing LG and am trying to add in LR while I'm at it. Mainly right now I am trying to just have a better understanding and initial analysis of a stimulus. I really struggle to keep all the information in order when doing my initial pass, which causes me to lose my bearings and forces me to re-read it.

For example, I have been working on causation recently. I had a light bulb moment with the blocking/breaking method. I started seeing key things that let me predict what possibly may be the right answer choice. Things like this are what I'm trying to do currently.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    @"Alex Divine" Thanks! Well I have had a lot of "Life gets in the way" moments and I'm coming off a couple of months hiatus.

I've been fool proofing LG and am trying to add in LR while I'm at it. Mainly right now I am trying to just have a better understanding and initial analysis of a stimulus. I really struggle to keep all the information in order when doing my initial pass, which causes me to lose my bearings and forces me to re-read it.

For example, I have been working on causation recently. I had a light bulb moment with the blocking/breaking method. I started seeing key things that let me predict what possibly may be the right answer choice. Things like this are what I'm trying to do currently.

Of course, dude.

So, I think right now you would be served best drilling the LR bundles, mostly untimed. Just focus on accuracy and understanding. I would also suggest writing out your own explanations in the comment sections of the questions you are drilling. This will force you to write explanations that not only make sense to you but to others as well. Doing this until I could consistently go -3 per section was what I think helped me most.

Happy drilling!

1723 karma

When you say LR bundles, do you mean the problem sets after the according section in the CC or the bundles at the end of the CC?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    When you say LR bundles, do you mean the problem sets after the according section in the CC or the bundles at the end of the CC?

The bundles at the end, because I remember you mentioning you had already more or less seen everything in the problem sets, correct?

1723 karma

Yes. The only ones I haven't seen are the hard ones that came with the plus upgrade.

1723 karma

Hey @"Alex Divine" I wanted to clarify something. When you said -3 per section, what did you mean by section? LR bundle Test 1-9, 10-19, 20-29? The individual, 5 questions for each type?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    Hey @"Alex Divine" I wanted to clarify something. When you said -3 per section, what did you mean by section? LR bundle Test 1-9, 10-19, 20-29? The individual, 5 questions for each type?

I mean just like -3 per section on full LR section. It's also just an arbitrary number that I decided would be a good goal since I started missing about -6 per section. I aimed to cut that in half before PT'ing.

1723 karma

Ah ok. Do you recommend starting with PT 30 (or is it 35) since that would be the first on outside the CC?