AMA with Sage Riley (AllezAllez21) hosted by JY Ping | Wednesday November 1, 7 - 8:30PM EDT

AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
edited October 2017 in Webinars 1917 karma

The AMA train continues!

Join me on Wednesday for a great discussion with JY about how I worked my way up to scoring a 177 on the September LSAT.

The short answer: the 7Sage community. It truly kept me engaged and motivated to do my best. We will talk about my LSAT journey, the section strategies that worked best for me, studying phases, and more. It turns out that I actually enjoy this test, and I hope this will be a fun and informative conversation.

I hope to see you there!

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/945314133

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (669) 224-3412

Access Code: 945-314-133

Joining from a video-conferencing room or system?
Dial: 67.217.95.2##945314133
Cisco devices: 945314133@67.217.95.2

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

Really looking forward to hearing about your journey in more detail @AllezAllez21

Thanks for doing this!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Looking forward to this webinar as well. Thank you for taking the time for this.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Ah a 177 - what I would give! hopefully I can join...

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited October 2017 5120 karma

Looking forward to Riley's story!! Any way to sticky as an announcement, please @"Dillon A. Wright" :)

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

was this recorded perchance?

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

@jkatz1488 it has yet to happen! But I think it will be, based on the previous two AMAs

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited October 2017 1091 karma

I won't be able to attend due to time-zones but I'd love to hear how you dealt with over-confidence errors during your prep, or if you have any insights about them. They're killing my scores at the moment and given the stage I'm at in my prep, it's really troubling me.

For context, my 5 recent PT average is 167.8, and my 5 recent BR average is 171.6. It's not that I am getting a lot of questions wrong on BR. In fact, I almost always re-confirm my answers. The problem seems to be that I'm not circling the questions I actually get wrong frequently enough, which indicates over-confidence. And I can't seem to shake these errors. I wonder whether I'm just not properly balancing my speed relative to accuracy.

But yeah, any insights on this sort of stuff from your prep would be gratefully received.

• Jay TeeJay Tee Alum Member
    298 karma

Will this one be recorded like Josh's?

• MaxSpeeDDyMaxSpeeDDy Alum Member
    edited October 2017 13 karma

@jkatz1488, you’re in luck! It hasn’t happened yet! Wait, are you a “Hermione Granger” in disguise? A time traveler, of sorts? Hmmm....I’d like that power.

1917 karma

@"Rigid Designator" Good question.

I worked really hard to try to be able to sense when I was getting a question wrong. I think any time that you feel like it's a weird correct answer, you should be very suspicious. For me, I often misunderstood the stimulus or the correct answer, and so I would eliminate the correct answer. Then, I would get to the wrong answer I would end up selecting and go, "Huh, that is an unusual answer, but I've eliminated everything else so it must be right for arbitrary reason X."

Those are the times when you want to come back to the question at the end of the section and really scrutinize your response. Carefully re-read the stimulus and then really attack the answer you chose. Do your best to prove it wrong. After that, reconsider other answer choices.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited October 2017 1091 karma

@AllezAllez21 said:
    @"Rigid Designator" Good question.

I worked really hard to try to be able to sense when I was getting a question wrong. I think any time that you feel like it's a weird correct answer, you should be very suspicious. For me, I often misunderstood the stimulus or the correct answer, and so I would eliminate the correct answer. Then, I would get to the wrong answer I would end up selecting and go, "Huh, that is an unusual answer, but I've eliminated everything else so it must be right for arbitrary reason X."

Those are the times when you want to come back to the question at the end of the section and really scrutinize your response. Carefully re-read the stimulus and then really attack the answer you chose. Do your best to prove it wrong. After that, reconsider other answer choices.

Thanks. That's really helpful. I can already think of 2 answers from my last PT where that was my impression. Got both of them wrong of course. One follow up question... Do you think that developing that sense requires you to be very strict when you choose an answer during a section, and be very strict on the 100% confidence rule for BR? I've tried to implement a 25 in 25 approach to LR rather than my old 10 in 10 approach, and I think the result was that I got a bit sloppy and lost a little accuracy. When I am only 4-6 raw marks away from my goal score these little dips in accuracy really hamstring my scores

• cald3577cald3577 Member
    2 karma

Anyway any one can record this? I work and won't be able to attend.

• CameronNCameronN Member
    10 karma

Hoping this will be recorded for posterity... and by posterity, I mean later playback by me.

edited November 2017 5249 karma

Thanks again for doing this.

• tphillips2tphillips2 Free Trial Member
    1 karma

i have problems with standardize testing? what do you suggest.

• pgrahamcpapgrahamcpa Alum Member
    10 karma

I will be there

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Hey @tphillips2 welcome to the community!!
    why dont you start a new thread for your question.
    More people can see it that way.

• DaITGirlDaITGirl Member
    edited November 2017 13 karma

Can't wait!

• PositivePositive Alum Member
    426 karma

looking forward to joining the meeting!

1917 karma

@"Kings Never Die" @Sikamabbey @pgrahamcpa Looking forward to seeing you there!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

I’m looking forward to hearing your story @AllezAllez21 !

• LaFrancaLaFranca Member
    edited November 2017 133 karma

Anybody know if this is being recorded? It's going on now, but I'm at work.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LaFranca said:

Yes, it is being recorded. No worries!

• PBesqLoadingPBesqLoading Free Trial Member
    4 karma

Does anyone know where can I find the recording for the AMA?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I accidentally missed it......I will listen to the recording!

edited November 2017 1917 karma

Hey everyone! Thanks for joining me. I had a lot of fun and appreciate your thoughtful questions.

For those who missed it, don't fret. JY recorded the webinar and it will be posted sometime soon.

Here are some parting thoughts:

Your studying really does depend on where you are at ability wise and time wise. Josh already gave a great webinar about that, so go listen to it! https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

Skipping is so important. JY did an amazing webinar on it: https://7sage.com/webinar/skip-it/

One thought I didn't mention during the webinar, but which I really think is important is this: If you want to build the highest pyramid, you've got to build the widest base. That means you've got to get your fundamentals as strong as possible. Sage Allison made this point in a webinar: if you can memorize it, then memorize it! For example, logic translations. That can be memorized and perfected. So do it. Here's her webinar: https://7sage.com/webinar/lsat-prep-for-170-plus/

It's all about intentional, high quality prep. In the beginning I skipped out on diagramming questions, and I paid for it later on. I had to go back and learn that foundational skill. Better to just do it in the first place.

• TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member
    137 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LaFranca said:

Yes, it is being recorded. No worries!

GREAT! How can we access it later?

• TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member
    137 karma

Oh just got my answer

• jennyleejhjennyleejh Alum Member
    145 karma

@LSAter170 said:
    Oh just got my answer

wait, where do we get the recording? :D I can't find it haha

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

there's one on Youtube

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma

Hey guys, the recorded version is up on YouTube now:

5249 karma

Hi, Thanks so much for telling us about your experience. Do you have a link to the LG video you mentioned where JY talks with Leah (not sure of the spelling of her name)? Thanks again!