Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wanna send out a round of applications before the December Exam

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
in General 3521 karma

Hey all,

I was wondering what you all thought of this. My GPA and LSAT makes me competitive at a few schools - not a shoe-in but pretty dang competitive. Specifically, I'm thinking of sending a round of applications out to Georgetown and Cornell as soon as my letters of rec are completed (in 1 week). I'm really really confident in my letters and my personal statement. I'm slated to take the December exam to make me competitive for higher ranked schools, but I kinda wanna just submit some apps now so I can hear back from some places earlier than February.

Should I do it?

Should I send a round of apps out next week before my new LSAT?
  1. Should I send a round of apps out next week before my new LSAT?20 votes
    1. Yes
      60.00%
    2. No
      40.00%

Comments

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

I was under the impression that they would hold your application until they saw the December score. Is that not the case?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited November 2017 4196 karma

I say go for it, but let them know not to hold off until your December score. You may not hear back from them before February either way though, so keep that in mind.

But if you do hear back and get acceptances, be sure to use your December score (if it's higher) for $$$ :)

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"jack.igoe" said:
    I was under the impression that they would hold your application until they saw the December score. Is that not the case?

If you have a previous score, they don't have to hold your application. I don't think schools know when you're registered to take the exam, so unless you specify to hold they wouldn't.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    edited November 2017 544 karma

Would you be able to have them re-address your application if they deny you on your initial score? I'm in the same boat as you right now. 165 in September and a 3.93. Thinking about doing the same thing.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@TheMikey Yeah haha that's my main worry - that if I apply now with a lower score I may get less $$$$$$. Do you know if I can report to them a higher score and demand more money? Lol.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@jack.igoe Honestly with those numbers I think you would be golden for a Cornell or Georgetown. Their 75th percentile GPAs are pretty low - you're way above them (as am I lol :smile: ). Even if your LSAT is a bit lower than their median, I think your GPA makes up for it. AKA I don't think you'd get denied...

I think the worse that can happen is they request you re-take the LSAT...but with those numbers I feel an outright denial is unlikely. Unless you're like a murderer or something.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @TheMikey Yeah haha that's my main worry - that if I apply now with a lower score I may get less $$$$$$. Do you know if I can report to them a higher score and demand more money? Lol.

yeah you can! I've heard of people even using a June score to get more money at a school they have already gotten into. people typically use feb. scores for that though, June isn't as conventional from my experience of watching past cycles.

• PositivePositive Alum Member
    edited November 2017 426 karma

I was under the impression that Georgetown tends to waitlist or reject people who apply in Jan or afterwards, who otherwise could have been accepted if they applied ealier with the same number. Definitely, apply now. You have strong number for Gtown! if you look up Mylsn.info and use submitted between ____ and _____ feature, you can kinda see the patterns.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I was thinking of doing this; some schools will just hold off on reviewing your app until your Dec exam and others will give you the option to be reviewed on the basis of your past scores. For schools that will hold off, it would basically make no difference if you were to apply with the Decemver exam. It would be all personal preference at this point.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    I was thinking of doing this; some schools will just hold off on reviewing your app until your Dec exam and others will give you the option to be reviewed on the basis of your past scores. For schools that will hold off, it would basically make no difference if you were to apply with the Decemver exam. It would be all personal preference at this point.

Some schools that hold off until December scores will still review an application that they received a couple months earlier before reviewing another application that came to them first in January. At least that's what they've claimed in e-mails to me.