Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a point to work with a tutor on RC?

It has been a while since I posted last time. I'm preparing for December LSAT. School work takes me lots of time.I'm currently taking Master of Jurisprudence at UW. I took some classes with JD,LLM students. Law school seems less intriguing to me.

Yet, I want to give a shot for LSAT.My weak part is RC. I'm currently got -8, 9 for RC. I wonder if hiring a RC tutor will be helpful and if yes, how I work with the tutor.

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I can't see how a tutor could hurt. There are also some online 7sage tutoring options that are much less expensive than meeting with someone in person.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

You haven't mentioned what you've done so far to work on RC. I think you'll get better feedback if you provide that information.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Hey @dennisgerrard i had similar thoughts but a friend introduced the manhatten prep RC guide and i am a beleiver, even though RC is highly subjective, if low res/high res didnt work for you. I would suggest giving it a look

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    edited November 2017 561 karma

I feel like once you get the mentality (i.e. active reading > passive reading) and technique that suits you (e.g. marking up text vs. diagramming vs. low rez summaries), the reading comp section will just start to "click" like the logic games section did. This was my personal experience, anyway. It went from my weakest section to on-par with LR in a matter of weeks by finding the right method.

Personally, I use a much less structured, more chaotic version of Nicole's "tool-box" method:

Also, the biggest takeaway from 7Sage's CC that I implement in this strategy (since I don't typically use low resolution summaries) is the idea of "pushing back" the material to what you've been given so far. For example, I'll spend like 5 seconds making a thick dark underline for a new important concept and -- during those 5 seconds -- I'll think in my head how it applies to the passage as a whole so far. Basically, the more time spent up front on the passage "pushing things back," the quicker (and more accurate) the questions go.

Maybe a tutor will help you discover your optimal strategy! But I don't think it's necessary... especially with the abundance of online material. Good luck, Mr. Klopp! ;)

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

I would try different strategies and see what works first. If you have tried everything and nothing works... maybe try a tutor. Personally, I found that I really just have to read through the passage without making notes or anything and just keeping in mind what each paragraph talks about after every paragraph. This way, I understand the main idea and I know which paragraph to go back to when I'm asked a detail question.

What have you tried so far? Maybe then we can give you better feedback.