RC Workshop with Sage Daniel S. | Science Passages: Two Kinds! | Thursday, November 9, 7:30 p.m. EDT

Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
edited November 2017 in Webinars 2301 karma

Does RC make you look like this?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/78/06/f5/7806f5dc3d2e939d7dbb76da67ffb206.gif

Hey everyone! For the next few months, I will be offering free weekly RC workshops. While RC is infamous for being the hardest section to improve, major gains have been demonstrated time and time again by countless 7Sagers. I am here to provide solid strategies and methods to tackle the different passage topics, question types, and the various grammatical and structural tricks that the LSAT writers love to create for us.

My goal is to help you build confidence and control over RC. The section might seem unstable and random, but it is possible to feel almost as good about RC as the best test takers do about LG. I will help you on that journey. I look forward to seeing you on Thursday!

This week: Analyzing the two kinds of science passages + some analogy questions

Future sessions will include:

Focus on analogy questions (My favorite! Not really)
Dealing with hard MP questions and eliminating wrong answers
Mastering comparative passages featuring J.Y.’s approach
Author opinion and noticing tone (utter rage = “reasoned disagreement” in academia)
Notation and skipping strategies
Hunting for elusive inferences (Hint: it’s in the last place you look)

As with the LR workshops, I will only use older tests (PT 1-35) in order to preserve the newer tests as PTs. This time I actually mean it!

RC Workshop with Sage Daniel S.
Thursday, November 9, 7:30pm EDT

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/894516589

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (646) 749-3122

Access Code: 894-516-589

Joining from a video-conferencing room or system?
Dial: 67.217.95.2##894516589
Cisco devices: 894516589@67.217.95.2

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUySTEh41261Ff63NS/giphy.gif

I can finally make it to one of these! AND it's on the section of the test that I am most scared of....

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

This is going to be very helpful! Thank you Daniel!!

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

Yayyyyy Daniel! I've been waiting for this! :D

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

How long will it last? I can catch the part of it.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Record plzz. West coaster here...

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited October 2017 2301 karma

@dennisgerrard Good question! Because this is the first session and people will likely have a lot of questions, I am not setting a hard end time. The presentation should take about an hour and a half. I will then take questions from everyone. I anticipate that I will go from 7:30 p.m. EDT to 10:30 p.m. EDT.

I look forward to seeing you there!

2301 karma

@westcoastbestcoast I will definitely look into that. Because I am showing real LSAT questions and passages, there is a bit of a legal/cost issue with recording.

Also, this session should last for a good amount of time (multiple hours) so please feel free to join in the middle of the workshop.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

gahhhhh you know too late for me :"(

• lgsb0629lgsb0629 Alum Member
    100 karma

I will be joining this late, but I will be there!

• JesusLovesUJesusLovesU Alum Member
    46 karma

haha

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

This is going to be great!!

• jlm787jlm787 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Just what I needed!!

• xsherylynxsherylyn Alum Member
    12 karma

I can't wait for these!! We should definitely have these for LR as well.

• subi ramisubi rami Alum Member
    33 karma

Be there or be square

• apgonzalez170apgonzalez170 Member
    6 karma

I agree, LR for sure.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@xsherylyn said:
    I can't wait for these!! We should definitely have these for LR as well.

There are LR workshops by @"Cant Get Right"!:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/13205/lr-workshop-with-sage-josh-math-monday-october-23-7-30pm-edt

edited October 2017 2301 karma

I want to thank everyone who attended my last workshop. You made it a really awesome experience!

By popular demand, this week's workshop will be on the topic of the often dreaded art passages (I am looking at you, Gray, Noguchi, and Lichtenstein!). In addition, we will go over some of the harder question types on art passages, including analogy, example of artwork, and author opinion/inference questions. It should be a great workshop. I look forward to seeing you all there!

• PositivePositive Alum Member
    426 karma

@Daniel.Sieradzki Hi Daniel! Thanks a lot for the great workshop last week! I forgot to ask you about the Powerpoint you used last time. Would it be possible for you to send me the PPT?

Thanks once again and looking forward to joining the workshop tmr!

2301 karma

@"Kings Never Die" Awesome, I am glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for attending.

Sure thing, just PM me your email and I will send it right to you.

I look forward to seeing you on the webinar tomorrow!

• jimmyrivera201-1jimmyrivera201-1 Core Member
    547 karma

Count me in.

• akrieglerakriegler Alum Member
    245 karma

I know real LSAT material was used (so it's a long shot) but... Is there any material from the workshop that was saved/recorded?

• skrishnanskrishnan Alum Member
    209 karma

I missed it :( Any chance anything was saved or recorded.
    Was really looking forward to this!

• VibrioVibrio Alum Member
    625 karma

Daniel said he will post the dropbox link to the Powerpoint files in the discussion forum later.
    We went through PT 12 Passage 1 and PT42 Passage 2 (Lichtenstein).

edited November 2017 2301 karma

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for coming! Your participation not only makes this workshop series very enjoyable, but it also really enhances the learning experience for everyone. I really appreciate your questions and input!

Because we are using real LSAT material, we cannot record the sessions. However, I am posting a link to my DropBox, which contains my RC Workshop PowerPoints. Because I created these PowerPoints, they contain no proprietary material, and they explain my strategies, I am allowed to share them. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8rtwtswbq4kspt2/AABiG7z29wB0mXcZO5zE8buTa?dl=0

I am having a bit of an issue with uploading the PowerPoint from the first week. If you need that one, please email me at lsatdaniel@gmail.com.

I look forward to seeing all of you at my next workshop. We are going to go over the two major types of science passage. Some (at least one) of my tutoring clients have found this information and analysis very helpful. It should be an awesome workshop!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Thanks again for facilitating the webinar yesterday, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Hi everyone,

This week we will be focusing on science passages. While these passages often intimidate test-takers by presenting a ton of facts and details, science passages can be dealt with by learning what to focus on.

Also, we will discuss two major types of science passages: process/phenomenon passages and descriptive/historical passages. By learning how to deal with each of these types, you will be better prepared to take on a modern-day LSAT science passages, no matter the type. I look forward to seeing you all on Thursday!

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

Which PT will be used?

@dennisgerrard Good question. I actually like to keep it a surprise so that way I get to see everyone's real-time thought process.

I noticed that when the passages are mentioned ahead of time, some people master the passages on their own time and then just give the answers during the webinar. By keeping the passages a surprise, everyone has to really think about them, which enhances the learning experience for everyone.

That being said, I promise that both of the passages will be from PT 1-35. Also, I am sharing my screen so that everyone can see the passages. Thus, there is no need to purchase the passages ahead of time.

There are some really juicy science passages in the PT 1-35 range so we are going to have a good time!

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" Could you maybe post which PTs right before we start (so no one has the time to do the passages ahead of time) so that those of us that prefer to read on paper could print them out? If not, that's fine too :)

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

So excited about the split personalities of Science passages~!

Thanks @"Daniel.Sieradzki" for all the work this summer to recognize the patterns - AWESOME :)
    It really is a game changer for how you read the science psgs, imo!!

@dml277 That is a really good point, I will announce the passages so people can read from paper instead of the screen. If you can't trust future lawyers, who can you trust? :wink:

I am finalizing the two passages, but I will announce them as soon as I decide.

2301 karma

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay. Here are the passages we will be going over tonight:

PT2 P3: Waterbugs

PT31 P4: Studying the Mind

PT6 P4: Steel Industry

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
  • yeshesviniyeshesvini Member
    113 karma

@Daniel.Sieradzki Thanks for today!!! it was an awesome session....Would be super duper if u perhaps considered doing a bootcamp for those of us taking the Dec LSAT.... would do us a of much needed good....ur awesome btw :)

I want to thank all of you who attended the science RC workshop! I have uploaded the latest PowerPoint to my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8rtwtswbq4kspt2/AABiG7z29wB0mXcZO5zE8buTa?dl=0

Please check it out. I especially recommend doing the science passages listed at the end.

As J.Y. mentions, a lot of things on the RC section are on a continuum. Science passages are the same way. On one side, you have the passages that are more focused on a specific process or phenomenon. For those, you need to maintain a global viewpoint while also making sure you understand the specific process in abstract terms. On the other side of the continuum, you have general science passages. These are almost like humanities passages except they have a science theme. For those, you don't need to understand every detail. Instead, you should have an understanding of each paragraph and where the details can be found.

However, you must actually practice the different types of science passages in order to develop a feel for this and to learn what is important. That is why I wanted to give you the passage recommendations. As I mentioned, untimed RC practice can be very helpful because it allows you to develop a sense of what is important and what is not.

@yeshesvini Thank you for attending! I am definitely considering the idea of an RC boot camp. I just need to figure out how to do it the right way. I don't want to teach a bunch of new skills right before the exam. There is always an initial rough patch after learning new strategies. During this time, the process of applying the strategies during timed conditions can actually lead to decreased performance. After using the strategies for a while, they become second nature, which then leads to increased scores and performance. That is partly the reason that I am teaching more intuitive and practical strategies during these workshops. I want to provide things that people can quickly implement before the December LSAT. If I think of a way to do that for the boot camp, I will let you know! In the meantime, I recommend going to J.Y.'s PT 82 sessions and the free workshops offered by the sages. I look forward to seeing you on a future session!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Thanks for helping us yesterday. It was a great webinar.