Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Total Hours Studied for LSAT

vichinskyvichinsky Alum Member

Is studying for 272 total hours enough for the LSAT? I know it is relative question I'm just curious if it would be that's what my total is going to be at.

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I've studied for at least 2000 hours.....

• vichinskyvichinsky Alum Member
    502 karma

ok what is your practice test scores ?

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

@akistotle said:

holy crap that's crazy

hope you do really well. you deserve it.

is this spread over a few years or nonstop? have you taken every PT?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@StephenASmith said:

@akistotle said:

holy crap that's crazy

hope you do really well. you deserve it.

is this spread over a few years or nonstop? have you taken every PT?

Haha I think I didn't do the math well, and I now think maybe it's like 1000 hours in total. lol

I've studied on and off for few years. I have many PTs left.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

I have studies over 1300 hrs at the min. Over a year, im averaging a 173

• ancienlucienancienlucien Alum Member
    34 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    I have studies over 1300 hrs at the min. Over a year, im averaging a 173

@nathanieljschwartz that is impressive. I am considering taking the LSAT a year from now (Nov 2018 test) so I can give myself a lot of time to master the required skills. If I study 4-5 hours per day I will be at 13-400hrs. My goal is to get to +170.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

My guess is somewhere between 750 and 1000 hrs.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1777 karma

Omg I feel so unprepared reading these other comments. If it makes you feel better, Kaplan recommends 150 hours. I will probably be at 400-500 before I take the exam in February. I plan on retaking it in June as well, assuming I don't burn out. I am planning on taking it twice because it will take off some of the pressure I'm putting on myself to get an amazing score the first time.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    Kaplan recommends 150 hours.

Wow. That's actually shocking.

• GuillaumeGuillaume Alum Member
    652 karma

I think a lot of people underestimate how tricky getting a high score on the LSAT can be. I've put it off for a year due to other life commitments (new job, death in a family); it wasn't really feasible to study at that time but now back at it. I'm planning about 800-900 hours until June 2018.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

thousands upon thousands

whatever an estimate of almost 2 years of studying is. idk I can't do math, that's why I'm going to law school :lol:

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    edited November 2017 330 karma

Deleted

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I'm guessing I'm in the 200-300 range. It definitely feels like not enough, but it is what it is. I've gone from 155 diagnostic to averaging mid 160s. I want/need higher than that, so really grinding until the December test, will keep light studying after that and re-take in February. And if scholarship/acceptances aren't what I want then will keep studying and re-apply next year.

Hours don't matter as much as just achieving the number you need. Everyone's a little different and has different amounts of resources/time available to put in. I really think that probably 200-300 is bare minimum but also depends on where you start from, you know?

• LSATsweatLSATsweat Member
    23 karma

I'm hitting the 1100+ mark now, and I don't think that's enough time for my target score. So much to learn, and the more you learn, the less you know for sure. Give yourself ample time!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:
    thousands upon thousands

whatever an estimate of almost 2 years of studying is. idk I can't do math, that's why I'm going to law school :lol:

Same, dude! haha

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    298 karma

I'm 700 or so since May (estimate).

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited November 2017 3072 karma

From September of last year to June, I'd say about 700-800 hours of strict study. The LSAT was always on my mind, though. Always...

:P

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Maybe someone should try Gladwell's 10,000 hr rule for the LSAT.

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    617 karma

Hm, foolproofing LG alone was probably 100+ hours. 20 full PTs is another 90 hours just taking them, and then the time spent actually blind reviewing... I'd guess I spent at least 300 hours total spread out over 9ish months? Ended up with a 174 FWIW.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

This thread really made me decide to push back my LSAT to June. Thank you, all!

• NeverStopNeverStop Alum Member
    96 karma

@akistotle said:

Same.

• mgzero2mgzero2 Alum Member
    86 karma

It depends. Any other answer is wrong. What's your goal, what's your starting point, and what's your quality of study like? Without answers to these we can all guess how much it will take but likely produce no good answer. I started in low 150s on my first cold test. After about roughly 200hrs I have been stuck in mid 160s. I have also seen people start at 170+ so as the above says, it depends.