PT69.S4.Q14 - every time people get what they want

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
edited November 2017 in Logical Reasoning 1723 karma

So i have a superficial understanding of this methodology, but i just cant wrap my head completely around whats happening, can i get someones take?

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-69-section-4-question-14/

Comments

• edited November 2017 1025 karma

I just took this yesterday!

Arg:
    Get what they want ----> Pleasure
    People desire anything -----> Pleasure

The author states that every time A happens, B is a natural result.
    So the author concludes that people ONLY desire B.

Here is an analogy:
    I love to eat the juiciest ribs possible. But becoming fat is a natural result of eating the juiciest ribs possible. Therefore, no one desires anything but becoming fat.

The flaw is that just because an action(wanting something) always results in a consequence(pleasure), it does not mean that people's motivations are ONLY to have the consequence. What about just doing the action for the sake of wanting to do the action? In the author's argument, pleasure is just an added cost, albeit a positive one, of the action made. The flaw becomes more apparent in the analogy I gave where the consequence is a negative one. Why would everyone want to become fat? Wouldn't some people just want to eat some bomb ass ribs? By the same reasoning, why would everyone want pleasure? Wouldn't some people just wish to get what they want?

EDIT: Answer choice D is also a negative consequence.
    Eating pizza --> stomachache.
    So, by the same reasoning, this person must ONLY desire a stomachache and not the pizza.