Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Benefits of Blind Reviewing RC - 7Sage Forum

Benefits of Blind Reviewing RC

LivePumpkinLivePumpkin Free Trial Member
in General 270 karma

Sorry if this has been asked before or just sounds silly, but are there benefits to blind reviewing RC?

Comments

• hibster95hibster95 Member
    41 karma

I think there is a lot to be gained from blind reviewing RC. Rereading the passage helps you pick up on details you didn't see when you were taking it within timed constraints. This is helpful because it allows you to get a feel for what the LSAT is going to ask you. After BR-ing a bunch of RC sections, I developed the strategy of always circling adjectives that describe a key part of the essay. I am really bad at the questions that ask you for the authors tone or questions that ask you to describe a certain aspect of the essay. It's hard to explain when i'm writing about theoretical essays.
    My point is that BR-ing RC is a great way to figure out what types of questions you are bad at and finding ways to resolve those issues. For example, if you struggled with questions that ask you to define a referential phrase in the passage, you can remember to cirlcle those phrases or even fill them in as you read.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LivePumpkin said:
    Sorry if this has been asked before or just sounds silly, but are there benefits to blind reviewing RC?

@hibasheikh95 nailed it!

Of course! You'll get the same benefits as you would from LR or LG. You're taking time out of the equation and spending all the necessary time to break down the passage, answer the questions, and figure out what caused you to miss questions under timed conditions. The real improvement and benefits comes from BR'ing!

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

I definitely see that there would be benefits. I don't have time before the Dec test, but I've already decided that if I need to retake then I'm going to fool proof RC

• LivePumpkinLivePumpkin Free Trial Member
    270 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:
    I definitely see that there would be benefits. I don't have time before the Dec test, but I've already decided that if I need to retake then I'm going to fool proof RC

How have you been reviewing RC after you PT or take a section?

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

@LivePumpkin I view FP different from reviewing. After I do a PT/section, I reread the passage and answer the questions without any time constraint. If I were to FP (which I simply don't have time for), I would write a summary of each paragraph, write the author's/other's view, determine what the main point of each paragraph and the entire passage is, tie back every single answer choice to the passage, etc. It would be much more in-depth than what I'm doing now. Although, now that I'm writing it out maybe I can start FP some RC sections. It can only help I suppose

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Simply, it helps with speed. This isn't the only benefit (of course, accuracy improves), but it's the one I'm most interested in right now. While listening to JY go through answers in the video explanations, you can see when he immediately knocks an answer choice out of the running-- like he will see "only if" and move on. When you write out explanations for the answers, you start thinking about when you can move on in the same way.