LSAT - When Starting PTs

LivePumpkinLivePumpkin Free Trial Member
in General 270 karma

For those who have done many PTs: did your anxiousness and focusing more on time than the actual test get better as you did more tests?

I would assume that when one first starts PTing, he or she will likely be so eager to rush through the test by keeping time in their head while sacrificing accuracy? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• kventokvento Alum Member
    86 karma

This totally happens to me as well. As soon as I get started its like my mind goes blank.. and in BR I realize how many dumb mistakes I made.

It's gotten better with each PT that I take. I think its just a matter of getting comfortable with the pressure. Meditation has really helped me. You should try it. There are a few guided sessions on 7Sage too!

• LivePumpkinLivePumpkin Free Trial Member
    270 karma

Thank you so much! :smile:

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Totally have had the same experience. There are few ways of thinking about the test that have helped me reduce my anxiety (which actually makes me perform better, which sounds contradictory when you read the ways below):
    -Having fun with the essay, like it's a cool puzzle that I get to work on. This helps me relax and feel more engaged
    -Telling myself that the stakes aren't as high as I think ie. I'm going to be fine regardless of the score I get
    -Telling myself that this isn't the only shot that I get in life (that I will always get more chances to take another LSAT or apply another time or even that the LSAT/applying to school is just one step in a series of chances I'll get to do well)

Just a few thoughts. :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LivePumpkin said:
    For those who have done many PTs: did your anxiousness and focusing more on time than the actual test get better as you did more tests?

I would assume that when one first starts PTing, he or she will likely be so eager to rush through the test by keeping time in their head while sacrificing accuracy? What are your thoughts?

You definitely develop an internal clock as you take more PTs/timed sections. I look at the clock much less and have benchmarks to guide me now (e.g., 15 in 15) You also just kind of learn to feel what a minute or two feels like on a question, whereas when I first began I kind of had to rely on looking at the time after each question which made me more anxious.