Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does RC suck so bad!

I swear no matter how fast I go I cannot finish an entire RC section. I have no problem finishing LR and LG. But for some reason I can’t get through this section in 35 minutes. I usually have 5 minutes remaining with an entire passage left.

What have you guys done to speed up RC without making a bunch of silly mistakes.

Comments

• hibster95hibster95 Member
    41 karma

I actually like the RC section! For me, the key is to pump yourself up about each passage. Go into it with the same mindset as you would reading an interesting article in a newspaper. Faking interest in the passages sounds dumb but it has helped me a lot. I also personalize the passage as much as I possibly can while reading. If the passage is making a theoretical claim about why recycling can be bad, it helps to think of concrete examples from your life.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

@"Daniel B" said:
    I swear no matter how fast I go I cannot finish an entire RC section. I have no problem finishing LR and LG. But for some reason I can’t get through this section in 35 minutes. I usually have 5 minutes remaining with an entire passage left.

What have you guys done to speed up RC without making a bunch of silly mistakes.

It's made to suck, lol.

As Mike Kim, author of the The LSAT Trainer, put it, “For many LSAT students, the LG section is the first obsession, and the RC section is the last.” That was definitely true for me and as a result I kind of neglected RC for a long time. I think many of us simply don't put the same amount of time and effort into RC as we do the other sections. And while I don't have any silver bullet to going faster AND making less mistakes, I think doing drilling RC sections (both timed and untimed) with BR has given me the most improvement. Write out explanations and try out new strategies! I find RC strategies to be consistently idiosyncratic between top scorers. Some diagram and read slow and others read fast and don't make a mark on the page. I've gone from both extremes and found somewhere in the middle that works best for me.

• btsao650btsao650 Alum Member
    254 karma

I usually have 5 minutes remaining with an entire passage left.

Same here. The struggle is real with these RCs.