Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the word "cognizant" too complex?!

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
edited November 2017 in General 3521 karma

Hey everyone,

I just finished my final round of edits for my personal statement. I got edits from one particular professor who I trust very much, and he only listed one change.

I used the word "Cognizant" in my paper. As in, "Cognizant of this fact, I decided to do X."

My professor told me to simplify the word "Cognizant," but I honestly don't think it is a complicated word. Additionally, only 1 other person told me it was too complicated of a word (out of ~16 people who read my PS).

What do y'all think? I could easily just replace "Cognizant of this fact" with "Conscious of this fact."

What do you think?
  1. Is Cognizant Too Complex of a Word?51 votes
    1. Yes, change it.
      19.61%
    2. No, leave it.
      47.06%
    3. No, but change it to "Conscious."
      33.33%

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Only you know your voice; if cognizant is the word that you'd use in conversation, stick to it.

• lsat4lifelsat4life Alum Member
    255 karma

It seems unnecessary. Even "conscious" seems a little bit pretentious. What about "Knowing [XYZ]," or "Aware of [XYZ]"

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

The only reason I'd say change is isn't b/c it's too complicated, but it sounds very "academic." Like someone writing an essay. The PS should be personal. But if your personal voice is like that, or if it goes with your PS, then keep it!

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

I write for a living, and this is a good rule of thumb: Never use a more complicated word when a simpler one will do. The purpose of a large vocabulary is to always have at one's disposal the perfect word to describe a particular situation. So, when the most precise word is more complicated, there are grounds to use it, but when a simpler word works just as well, the more complicated word is at best useless, and at worst pretentious.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@ohnoeshalpme I definitely use "cognizant" in my daily vocabulary...but then again I'm a huge nerd.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

I voted no, the word is not too complex, but it depends on what you’d like to convey. I would change it to “conscious” only if you intend to communicate that you became aware of the aforementioned fact in a sensory kind of way. If your intent is to communicate a new sense of awareness and understanding regarding a reason based knowledge, then perhaps leave the sentence as it is.

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

Evocation, disenchantment, inclinations, matriculate, exorcise, and penchant.

All words used by @"David.Busis" in his personal statement. I use five dollar words in my vocab too, and my friends usually give me the stick for it... but they're not applying to law school. Using those words for the sake of them would obviously make things awkward, but if you talk like that in everyday speech anyway, I bet the flow of your statement sounds great.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Academic/intellectual. Not complex--especially, given the fact that that ideomatic phase (i.e., cognizant of this/that fact") is so often used academic settings--but I'd just go with something more "basic" in the sense that, for any two ways of expressing an idea, the way that would be understood by a larger population of speakers of the relevant language is "more basic" and should be used. Many times there are asymmetric reactions between the familiarity of synonyms and near synonyms--e.g., "aware" and "cognizant"--such that most everyone who understands one understands the other but not vise versa. I would generally go with saying something on a personal statement in a way that more ppl would understand all other things being equal (like concision).Anyways, at this point it's splitting hairs a bit.--A.c.S

1269 karma

Oh, but if you're a huge nerd and it's you, I'd say include it. But, again, I think that the biggest norm to follow in a personal statement of any kind is that it be personal. That doesn't always align with what's best for getting into a school though. Shrug.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I doubt the word is too complex. I think what is more likely is that the two commenters are just trying to critique the wording in a polite way (it's easier to criticize it for having a big word and make you feel smart than criticize it for being worded poorly which makes you feel like a lousy writer).

Perhaps it sounds stilted or needlessly wordy. You already listed the fact. Now you are saying "Cognizant of the fact..." There has to be a way to express the same thought with fewer words and a sentence structure which doesn't have to refer backward to the fact.

3521 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" It's a transitional phrase.

4423 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" It's a transitional phrase.

Which probably isn't a good reason for it to be awkward or stilted.

Again, I'm not seeing it in context. It's possible that it flows beautifully. It just seems unlikely that it would flow well in a personal narrative.

3521 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" Transitional phrases generally use referential phrasing back to the latest statement. You know, so you don't sound like a robot with disjointed sentences.

Additionally, recall the note I received was "simplify."

edited November 2017 3521 karma

@acsimon Haha yeah. It's strange because I used words like "elucidate" in my essay too, which I personally think is a more expensive word than "cognizant." I think it's because this professor is a political scientist, and political science literature tends to use the phrase "elucidate" a lot...Anywho I'll probably change it to "aware."

Thanks all!

1269 karma

Yeah, maybe not "elucidate" either...maybe it's just me but I'd probably go with "clarify" or "explain" but these are all judgement calls at the end of the day. Like I said, if it really is you... it's you!--A.c.S

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1363 karma

I'm actually kinda surprised reading some of the comments here.

I've heard multiple people - not just academics - use this word. I myself have been using it for years. I find it it hard to understand how the word "cognizant" could inflate the sentiment one is trying to convey.

Also, even if it does sound 'academic', how is that a bad thing? You're applying to an academic institution, aren't you? You can reasonably expect most folks within that circle (including adcoms) to make use of the same/similar language. Why would they penalize you for a word that they either (a) likely use themselves or (b) have likely heard their colleagues using?

You're probably the best judge here. If it does sound needlessly wordy, then it makes sense to consider substituting it for another word. I'm just having a hard time understanding how/why this word might be needlessly wordy...

4423 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" Transitional phrases generally use referential phrasing back to the latest statement. You know, so you don't sound like a robot with disjointed sentences.

Additionally, recall the note I received was "simplify."

The note probably says simplify that particular word to be nice as I said before.

Do you need the referential phrasing? Could you use one of the plentiful transitions in our language that doesn't require referential phrasing? Alternatively if you think it is indispensible, keep the referential phrasing and ditch the word cognizant. Maybe something like, "This fact heavy on my mind..."?

You don't have to connect two thoughts with the exact structure you did the first time you wrote them. There are tons of options.

If you are dead set that your prof definitely was intimidated by the word cognizant and your use of it must be perfectly fluid I'm not going to convince you otherwise so I'll leave. But it seems more plausible that your use of it was awkward.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

I use "cognizant" all the time and have never thought a thing of it. Is it really that big a word? I say if it's the right word then use it.

3521 karma

@"Cant Get Right" @thisissparta That's what I'm sayin!

I honestly don't think it's a big word and its placement within my paper flows! Idk. I think the fact that it is causing some debate may be reason enough to change it. Maybe "Recognizing this fact," etc.

2326 karma

There is almost no situation in which "cognizant" is superior to "aware." Using more complicated words than necessary does not reflect well on the writer. There are style guides that give this as an example of overly fancy language that should be avoided.

2326 karma

@"Paul Caint" It's not a question of big/small. Cognizant is just too stuffy.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

There are a ton of comments on here, so I'll be brief. The readers can tell when they are reading something in a student's authentic voice. If the rest of your paper is overly academic or casual, it will seem like you are trying to inject some academic words into the page to make it sound more academic.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I agree with @"samantha.ashley92". Do some self reflecting and thinking about whether you are coming off genuine in your PS with the word. As long as you are true to yourself and not trying too hard to impress, I think you will be fine.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

What do you think about this: "due to this fact"? I'd need to see the paragraph to get a better idea.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It seems like a simple, "Knowing this," would suffice. But I also use words like suffice, so what do I know? haha. I like @uhinberg's point though, that it seems best to default to the simplest word that works. Especially since it is a personal statement and it sounds like the rule of thumb is to make them lean more toward casual than academic. I think either is probably fine though, your voice should just be consistent.

2326 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    What do you think about this: "due to this fact"? I'd need to see the paragraph to get a better idea.

Never, ever use "due to this fact"! Unnecessarily wordy; "Because of this" is much better.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Wow, a whole lot of good comments. I think if the paper as a whole is written "simply" then change it. I personally use the word cognizant when writing and speaking so to me its fine but it depends on how you are using it and the overall tone of the paper.

3521 karma

@LCMama2017 I'd say that entire part of my personal statement in which "cognizant" is used is much more academic, and it's deliberately so. Nonetheless, I changed the word to "Recognizing" :)

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

@uhinberg, Yes, I agree that it might be on the wordy side. :)

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I am now more cognizant of the word cognizant then I have ever been before.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/84c1cd4874f2990964a48d0345760d03/tenor.gif?itemid=5026737

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think it totally depends on the full context and how it flows. I don't think the word itself is too pretentious or complex, however.

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

I think people talking about context and connotation are hitting the nail on the head.

I would personally stay aware from 'conscious' because it has a deeper emotional connotation. Being conscious of something can be associated with insecurity or feeling anxious about something. I think cognizant is more neutral in conveying awareness.

That said, you could also just say of "Aware of X," or "With X in Mind."

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

It's not too complex. It's a god damn SAT word.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

I don't necessarily think the word itself is too big/Small, complex/simple, cuz that's kinda subjective as we can see. But it does seem rather controversial -- just the fact that it's causing a debate. So when we use a word in such a nature, we are kinda inheritantly putthing a bet on the reader (admin officer in this case) a bet on which camp is he/she in? Would they be like: "wt...this kid is trying way too hard" or "mmm, very well use of a word..good job" ya know? So I agree that you've changed it, but not bc it's right or wrong, but bc it's on the safe side. We do wanna impress the reader in our PS, but probably not in a controversial way.

3521 karma

@"Heart Shaped Box" Haha that was my exact thinking. Even if it is not a complex word, the fact that it is causing such a debate on this forum is reason enough to change it.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

You'll do well I'm sure. Keep us posted on the good news :)

• sanchomsanchom Free Trial Member
    5 karma

You could even just use a colon. Sometimes two clauses are so obviously related that there is no need to use an extra word to join them: use a colon.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Haha that was my exact thinking. Even if it is not a complex word, the fact that it is causing such a debate on this forum is reason enough to change it.

People will generally debate about anything though, haha. It's a good thing to have healthy debate. You shouldn't, however, use that as a reliable rubric on what to change in your PS. I also don't think the use of a word as common in most people's lexicon as "cognizant" is at all controversial...

Judging from some of the comments above you'd think you were using disestablishmentarianism in your PS or something, lmao.

p.s. I just remembered how awesome your PS was. So maybe I'm biased :)

edited November 2017 3521 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    p.s. I just remembered how awesome your PS was. So maybe I'm biased :)

https://i.imgur.com/C6e6i.gif

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

Simplicity is key. Keeps the flow going. Also simplicity doesn't have a negative affect on the sophistication of your piece.

3521 karma

@Jlap1991

I'm of the thought that if the LSAT expects us to understand words like "eschew" or "preponderance," then we should expect law school readers to understand words like "cognizant."

But c'est la vie :blush: