Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still stuck at a 145 trying to get at least a 150 in two weeks

k11078652k11078652 Alum Member

So I have done just a few PT's now and I keep getting 145s. I miss early questions in LR that I am trying to fine tune and I miss about 8 to 10 questions in LG and I am missing about 16 in RC. Currently I am working on improving RC and making sure I can get a couple more questions on LR since I think that is easier for me to improve on than some of the other sections. Does anyone think that this could be possible? I have been working really hard and I keep getting stuck at this score, I just need a 150 to get automatic admission in my 3+3 program.

Comments

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

I would focus on logic games to get to a 150. It's the easiest section to improve on given your timeline.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"k.have110" said:
    So I have done just a few PT's now and I keep getting 145s. I miss early questions in LR that I am trying to fine tune and I miss about 8 to 10 questions in LG and I am missing about 16 in RC. Currently I am working on improving RC and making sure I can get a couple more questions on LR since I think that is easier for me to improve on than some of the other sections. Does anyone think that this could be possible? I have been working really hard and I keep getting stuck at this score, I just need a 150 to get automatic admission in my 3+3 program.

@jennybbbbb said:
    I would focus on logic games to get to a 150. It's the easiest section to improve on given your timeline.

Yeah, LG is the best bet for quick improvement.

Is there any way you can sit for the test in February to gain admission into your 3+3 program? I have zero doubt with a little bit more practice a 150 is very, very doable. It just may take a little more than a couple of weeks.

If you absolutely must take in December, I would focus on learning to diagram different games correctly and practice focusing on games. For LR, you may also want to focus on learning how to diagram conditional logic statements and the basics for how to attack each qtype.

• BillGreenpointBillGreenpoint Alum Member
    318 karma

First, I agree with Alex that 150 is very doable. And I agree that LG is easiest to see improvements. I maintain that you can do it. Given the limited time frame remaining before test day, I propose the following.

A score of 150 equals about 57 correct answers. Your score of 145 equals about 49 correct answers. So, all you've gotta get is 8 more correct. To break it down, that's only two more correct per section!

You can do that in a couple of different ways. First, RC looks ripe for improvement. You're consistently scoring RC-16. One technique you can use is to improve that is to really focus on just two of the four passages to get all the questions right. If you get all the questions right on two passages, say 13 questions, that will already be a +3 improvement. Then, if you guess correctly on 20% of the remaining, say 12 questions, that's a total of about 15 correct which corresponds to RC-10. And now you're LSAT score would be 148 or 149.

Keep doing what you're doing on LG. Fool proof games every day, like my esteemed colleagues recommend.

Also, to improve LR, you can drill the most commonly asked question types. According to PowerScore, the following is the frequency of occurrence of question types between October 2015 and December 2016:

Type # of Occurrences % of Questions on LSAT

1. Strengthen 40 questions 15.6%
    2. Flaw in the Reasoning 33 questions 12.9%
    3. Must Be True 30 questions 11.8%
    4. Assumption 29 questions 11.4%

These top four question types have accounted for over 50% of all questions of the exams during the given period. That would equate to 25 out of the total of approximately 50 LR questions per exam. Assuming you're answering these question types with the same degree of accuracy as the rest of the question types, you are currently answering about 12 of these types of questions correctly, or 6 correctly per section. If you can get improve that to get just one more question right in each of the four top categories, that's a swing of +4 total, or +2 per section. Completely doable.

So, the improvements in RC, +6, and LR , +4, will translate into a shift from about 145 to 151. You did it! Now if you can improve a little in LG too, that'll be gravy.

It's one way to go about it, anyway. Good luck. Work hard. You can do it.

• k11078652k11078652 Alum Member
    24 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"k.have110" said:

@jennybbbbb said:

Yeah, LG is the best bet for quick improvement.

Is there any way you can sit for the test in February to gain admission into your 3+3 program? I have zero doubt with a little bit more practice a 150 is very, very doable. It just may take a little more than a couple of weeks.

If you absolutely must take in December, I would focus on learning to diagram different games correctly and practice focusing on games. For LR, you may also want to focus on learning how to diagram conditional logic statements and the basics for how to attack each qtype.

Thanks so much! I can sit for the test in February, in fact I have already registered for it! I am just hoping that if I can get it out of the way now I can apply while there might be a higher chance to get some scholarship! I am also a full-time student with a part-time job so it would be better to get it done earlier but if not I will take it again in Feb!

• k11078652k11078652 Alum Member
    24 karma

@BillGreenpoint said:
    First, I agree with Alex that 150 is very doable. And I agree that LG is easiest to see improvements. I maintain that you can do it. Given the limited time frame remaining before test day, I propose the following.

A score of 150 equals about 57 correct answers. Your score of 145 equals about 49 correct answers. So, all you've gotta get is 8 more correct. To break it down, that's only two more correct per section!

You can do that in a couple of different ways. First, RC looks ripe for improvement. You're consistently scoring RC-16. One technique you can use is to improve that is to really focus on just two of the four passages to get all the questions right. If you get all the questions right on two passages, say 13 questions, that will already be a +3 improvement. Then, if you guess correctly on 20% of the remaining, say 12 questions, that's a total of about 15 correct which corresponds to RC-10. And now you're LSAT score would be 148 or 149.

Keep doing what you're doing on LG. Fool proof games every day, like my esteemed colleagues recommend.

Also, to improve LR, you can drill the most commonly asked question types. According to PowerScore, the following is the frequency of occurrence of question types between October 2015 and December 2016:

Type # of Occurrences % of Questions on LSAT

1. Strengthen 40 questions 15.6%
    2. Flaw in the Reasoning 33 questions 12.9%
    3. Must Be True 30 questions 11.8%
    4. Assumption 29 questions 11.4%

These top four question types have accounted for over 50% of all questions of the exams during the given period. That would equate to 25 out of the total of approximately 50 LR questions per exam. Assuming you're answering these question types with the same degree of accuracy as the rest of the question types, you are currently answering about 12 of these types of questions correctly, or 6 correctly per section. If you can get improve that to get just one more question right in each of the four top categories, that's a swing of +4 total, or +2 per section. Completely doable.

So, the improvements in RC, +6, and LR , +4, will translate into a shift from about 145 to 151. You did it! Now if you can improve a little in LG too, that'll be gravy.

It's one way to go about it, anyway. Good luck. Work hard. You can do it.

Thank you so much! This was such a great response, I really appreciate your advice! I will definitely work on those question types and work on improving in RC as well!! Thank you again! I have some trouble with assumption questions especially the sufficient and necessary assumptions questions so I will keep drilling those as well!

• 381 karma

Hey @k11078652 I know this is a year later but I'm actually in the same boat as you and was wondering how this eventually worked out for you? I would love to know how you applied this and the results? Thanks a lot! Take care.