Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If i’m still struggling with my personal statement should I just not apply this cycle

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member

I’ve been working on my personal statement for over a year and all I have are a few shitty rough drafts on different topics which I would be embarrassed to submit. I was a philosophy major at a UC with over a 4.0 in my major and I can’t handle writing a personal statement. Feels like law school just isn’t going to happen.

Comments

• RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
    142 karma

@"surfy surf" I also had a lot of trouble getting started. Just pick a topic (even if you don't think it's good), set aside a few hours, and write. Don't edit or delete anything, and don't judge yourself while writing. After you're done, send it over to a trusted friend (ideally someone with experience applying to grad school) for comments. Hopefully you will get some useful ideas out of this process and you can work on your existing ideas or come up with a new topic that you do like.

• kromo_20kromo_20 Member
    87 karma

I would definitely recommend the 7Sage Editor team to get you started. I believe the middle package includes all stages of one personal statement. While I had a full essay ready, they helped me to practically re-write the whole thing, in my voice. Check out the reviews.

• apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma

You may just be overthinking it. We all tend to do it, especially with things we revere and hold in high esteem, but put your personal statement in the right context in the whole scheme of your applications. My pre-law advisor, who’s no novice at this and who’s known by many admission committees, said he considers the personal statement and the whole application process as something he could do drunk in an hour. Exaggeration aside, the point is not to overdo or overthink it.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Thank you all I really needed that. I'll make an appt with a pre law advisor soon and consider paying for the 7sage editor

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    Thank you all I really needed that. I'll... consider paying for the 7sage editor

I hope you do! Even though the difference in cost is huge between personal edits and their $15 general admissions course, I'd say their prices are worth it if this is the only thing keeping you from your otherwise stellar application! In fact, you sound like the ideal candidate for their personal (albeit expensive) services!

• kromo_20kromo_20 Member
    87 karma

Yes, I agree the price is worth it. This is coming from someone that took 8 years to write their personal statement :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Just want to say that @"David.Busis" and the entire 7Sage admissions team has been invaluable to my application. If you're stuck, they will help you! Don't let this stop you from applying!!

Good luck :)